Exocad Updates

L

le-ant

Reaction score
Hi all. I recently asked my reseller for the latest version of exocad . They've sent me a link to download it but have warned me that the new version won't have any of their settings, and suggested I stick with the older version because that's what they use. Is this normal? I feel I should have more support than this. I've looked at other discussions on here and it looks like the reseller would usually install the software and check it all works properly, but I've been left to do it all myself.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Who is your reseller ?
Naming names will certainly get there attention ... maybe ?

slr

slr

Reaction score
Hello le-ant, I hope my answer will be able to help you. (However, please keep in mind, it is strictly my opinion because I've previously ran a distribution division that provided Exocad powered systems.)
You shouldn't have to call your reseller for software updates, they should contact you. (Whether email or phone call) Unfortunately, depending on how 'branded' your platform is, you may find that your reseller doesn't always receive their updated version at the same time that exocad releases their 'generic' version. This can be caused by a couple of things. One, it takes exocad more time to make those revisions in a personalized platform than it does their generic/standard version. There is a lot more to do and fine detail to perfect. Not to mention, each branded version can be slightly different from one to the next. The second issue a reseller can run into, is once they do receive the updated software, they need time to test it to make sure they don't find any issues/bugs within their version. They should be doing their part not to pass on any updates to their customers that haven't, at the very least, been tested and proven to be problem free.
Changing settings isn't difficult to do for someone familiar with software, but I think it's ridiculous that you were given the updated version yet told not to use it, especially without proper modifications being made to it! (That's like giving a child a wrapped gift at Christmas and then tell him he can't open it until New Years!) Very irresponsible of the reseller!!

~Shanda

"

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You get what you pay for.

...oh I forgot.....you got what you paid for:rolleyes:

slr

slr

Reaction score
Who is your reseller ?
Naming names will certainly get there attention ... maybe ?

Charles, you are such a troublemaker! Lol.

And Scott is correct on saying you get what you pay for. I probably should have been more specific in my answer.
Provided you are within your first year of exocad use (when all updates are at no charge) or have paid for an additional year of support from your reseller, then that is when your reseller should be contacting you.

However, if you chose to stay with your platform build and forego any additional updates, you aren't owed anything by the reseller.

~Shanda

"

French Cadman

French Cadman

Reaction score
What are you looking for in this topic my friend rkm ?
Maybe all your friends who have changed their system ?

:p

Thanks Shanda ! ;)

Last edited:
L

le-ant

Reaction score
I'm within the first year so updates are still free. There doesn't seem to be much branding in the version I have at the moment, so I'm assuming all I'll lose is the cement gap etc settings . Exocad is set to automatically open the medit scanning software though. Is that easy to do?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Copy your Workparameter.xml file and paste into new version.

I would leave your DentalDB folder active and "as-is".

Only rename and replace the old DentalCADApp folder to "Old_DentalCADApp" or something like that and replace with the newer version.

Copy/paste your library folder....from old to new CADApp....

This way, you do not loose any patient data or material settings.

You can have multiple versions of exocad on same PC btw.....

I doubt there are many magical settings that you will be missing out on.

L

le-ant

Reaction score
Copy your Workparameter.xml file and paste into new version.

I would leave your DentalDB folder active and "as-is".

Only rename and replace the old DentalCADApp folder to "Old_DentalCADApp" or something like that and replace with the newer version.

Copy/paste your library folder....from old to new CADApp....

This way, you do not loose any patient data or material settings.

You can have multiple versions of exocad on same PC btw.....

I doubt there are many magical settings that you will be missing out on.
Thanks Scott, this isn't the first time you've come to my rescue! ;-)

D

ddsTech

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation... approaching the 1 year free upgrade cutoff and need some accurate info. Can you knowledgeable folks tell me if the 64bit version of Exocad is compatible with the Medit SE scanner? Currently I have 32bit build 5057. I'd like to run the 64bit version if possible and available.

Thanks

slr

slr

Reaction score
I would request the update software regardless! (Just to make sure you get what you paid for and so you are able to have the last Build of the old Exocad platform design.) The next release from exocad will have an entirely new interface, set up to be touch screen compatible and based off of Windows 8 app design like quality.

As far as the 64 bit version being compatible with the SE, it can work. Provided the latest framework driver is installed. The 64 bit software won't run without it!
Good luck!

~Shanda

"

AltreX

AltreX

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation... approaching the 1 year free upgrade cutoff and need some accurate info. Can you knowledgeable folks tell me if the 64bit version of Exocad is compatible with the Medit SE scanner? Currently I have 32bit build 5057. I'd like to run the 64bit version if possible and available.

Thanks
We still have operational Medit SE scanner running on Win 7 64 bit (y)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
The PC may be 64-bit.....but exocad and the scanning software could still be 32-bit.

D

ddsTech

Reaction score
As far as the 64 bit version being compatible with the SE, it can work. Provided the latest framework driver is installed. The 64 bit software won't run without it!
Good luck!
~Shanda
"

Thank you, Shanda. That's what I needed to know. Hopefully it will be made available to me.

Mark

L

le-ant

Reaction score
I would request the update software regardless! (Just to make sure you get what you paid for and so you are able to have the last Build of the old Exocad platform design.) The next release from exocad will have an entirely new interface, set up to be touch screen compatible and based off of Windows 8 app design like quality.

Good luck!

~Shanda

"
Hi Shanda
Do you know when the next release is due?

Anthony

L

le-ant

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to add materials to the database? We had wax as an option on the previous version, and even though I've copied the parameter file it's still not showing.

slr

slr

Reaction score
Hi Shanda
Do you know when the next release is due?

Anthony
Not as soon as I had hoped Anthony, but it will be before the end if the year. It's probably safe to say closer to Thanksgiving, give or take a week or two.

~Shanda

"

slr

slr

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to add materials to the database? We had wax as an option on the previous version, and even though I've copied the parameter file it's still not showing.
Have you went into the work parameters to see if it just needs a check mark next to it? More than likely that's all it's going to take!
Once you've made revisions to the default settings, you'll need to shut down, and restart, the DentalDB in order for the DB to implement those changes.

~Shanda

"

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Re-name an existing material you are not using...if Shanda's suggestion does not work.

BUT! First copy your workparameters.xml just in case you fubar it.

It is easy to get to make a mess in there.

Top Bottom