Exocad Contacts and Occlusion Help

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Looking for some help with contacts and occlusion settings with exocad. I'm using a DOF scanner if that makes a difference.

I'm finding what I design on screen and mill looks great. But when I fit the crown the contacts are tight on the model and the occlusion is high.

I then have to adjust them but I'm getting feedback that the contacts and occlusion are still high/tight in the mouth.

I'm scanning a solid model. So that takes out the moving pins out of the question. Stone is Die Keen. Mixed with the proper ratio.

I'm using Jensen's Insync Glaze which I know is a bit thicker and may be the cause of my problem with that.
Not sure where else I could look.

Any ideas or something that I'm missing

Attachments

• Settings.jpg
    Settings.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 113
  • space1.jpg
    space1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 103
  • space2.jpg
    space2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 105
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I then have to adjust them but I'm getting feedback that the contacts and occlusion are still high/tight in the mouth.
Is this happens with everybody or just one particular account ?

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Have you used the " Correct antagonist" hidden feature. It closes the bite of the models.
Do you check before delivery for high occl?
Don't think your settings are the fault. But my crown bottoms are Horz. .15, Angled .25, Angle .65, and 0, 0

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Just one account.

Yeah I check the bite and make sure there is some foil relief. Articulating paper slides through.
Not sure where the correct antagonist option is. Can you tell me where it is?

I have used the cut to antagonist feature. Usually in the .35- .40 mm range. This should be more then enough relief.

I still don't understand why the contacts are tight. Check the finished crowns on a solid model.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Just one account.

Yeah I check the bite and make sure there is some foil relief. Articulating paper slides through.
Not sure where the correct antagonist option is. Can you tell me where it is?

I have used the cut to antagonist feature. Usually in the .35- .40 mm range. .

After tooth placement", Open expert, place your antagonist to your model on screen. Right click on an area of that orange antagonist, Left click on the "correct antagonist". Then in the new box click down 2-3 times till you see some contact spots on the occlusion. ( models are not tight in contact during scan, this fixes that.) when satisfied with contacts, click OK. Go back to wizard and design your crown.
I'm never more than .13, .14 when "cut to".

Also maybe this acct does a reline when impression is taken.

Last edited:
Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
After tooth placement", Open expert, place your antagonist to your model on screen. Right click on an area of that orange antagonist, Left click on the "correct antagonist". Then in the new bo, click down 2-3 times till you see some contact spots on the occlusion. ( models are not tight in contact during scan, this fixes that.) when satisfied with contacts, click OK. Go back to wizard and design your crown.
I'm never more than .13, .14 when "cut to".

Also maybe this acct does a reline when impression is taken.
Oh nice ,I have to try that ! :)

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing that tip Ps2thtec . I had never seen that option over all these years because I had never right clicked on the opposing in expert mode . Wow ! I really am way more excited about this than I should be, I think it's time to leave the lab for the night :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
excited.jpg

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing that tip Ps2thtec . I had never seen that option over all these years because I had never right clicked on the opposing in expert mode . Wow ! I really am way more excited about this than I should be, I think it's time to leave the lab for the night :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
View attachment 27781

;) I think that's the only secret tip I know Listen. Even 2thm8kr could tell you I need the "eXO for dummies" book.
There's so many hidden tricks in the background I feel we don't even realize. And stuff I click on that I don't even know what it's doing :cool:
Maybe what we really need is a new thread, " eXOcad Tips and Tricks".

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Great, thanks for the tip. I will give it a shot.
Seems to be the exact same thing I used to do with 3shape. Moving the entire antagonist down.

Hopefully this will help me out with the bite. I was cutting to .3mm and losing most of the anatomy..

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
As 2thm8kr said I bring down the antagonist by three clicks which is 0.3mm and also cut occlusion by another 0.2-0.3mm to compensate for legimemt flexibility in occlusion, and seems to work. Also check with your client if temporization is done correctly and the temp isn’t out of occlusion because if is you could end up with tight contact and high occlusion.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
As 2thm8kr said I bring down the antagonist by three clicks which is 0.3mm and also cut occlusion by another 0.2-0.3mm to compensate for legimemt flexibility in occlusion, and seems to work. Also check with your client if temporization is done correctly and the temp isn’t out of occlusion because if is you could end up with tight contact and high occlusion.

If I cut occl .2-.3 it would blow through to the prep! Also I do the articulator mode on singles which seems to eliminate interferences when you cut. Final test would be push the dowel pin up till crown hits opp on model
(about a business card) and in your hands run the excursions to find high spots. Should still have room for glaze.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Since your issues are with only one Dr., I believe the problem lies with how they are doing their temps. The job isn't to just cover the prep. It needs to hold the adjacent teeth and the opposing in place. The office is being lazy, so the contact teeth and the opposing are drifting.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
What do you mean by "articulator mode" ?

I don't know how the office makes the temps.I just want to rule out anything I'm doing.

Not that it really matters. Haha

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
For a while now I've thought about this add on . Is it useful in every day simple cases too for working through the excursions ? Is there a simple way to use it without having to enter a bunch of condyle angles and stuff ?
It is very useful. You can make it as easy or complex as you want. It is possible to arbitrarily mount the case using bonwill's triangle or you can transfer facebow mounted models from any of 5 different articulator systems and I wouldn't be surprised if more were added on the newer version of exocad due any time now.
The condylar angles can be set to average values so you don't have to worry about that. Virtual articulation takes a minute or two at the most. If you use the transfer plates when scanning the models it is automatic with the click of a button.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
It is very useful. You can make it as easy or complex as you want. It is possible to arbitrarily mount the case using bonwill's triangle or you can transfer facebow mounted models from any of 5 different articulator systems and I wouldn't be surprised if more were added on the newer version of exocad due any time now.
The condylar angles can be set to average values so you don't have to worry about that. Virtual articulation takes a minute or two at the most. If you use the transfer plates when scanning the models it is automatic with the click of a button.
I'm due for an upgrade ,I think I will add that in , thanks.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
which add on its free ?? pk maybe transfer jig from some id...

Smilelist

Smilelist

Reaction score
Another option ? what I do is correct upper and lower occlusion on the model in the articulator to maximal occlusion. This to copy the max CR from patient intra oral situation. Then scan and lower upper in max CR and lower upper or lower jaw till you see your max CR contacts looking from above into the occlusion. Take also dynamic abrasion articulation into account visually in your design.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk