etching zirconium

R

Ruby

Reaction score
Does any one know what to etch a zirconia wing bridge with. So far I hear Rockateck by 3M. Is there anything else I could use?

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
acid etching as such will not roughen the dense surface. But most resin cements now have surace treatment agents which will allow a bond to zr

hammerhead

hammerhead

Reaction score
Does any one know what to etch a zirconia wing bridge with. So far I hear Rockateck by 3M. Is there anything else I could use?

That would be all you need
Been using this material 7 yrs without 1 failure

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
There is a bonder from heraeus.. forget what its called, too lazy to look :)
Never used it

C

chickenlicken

Reaction score
Just back from ids in cologne. On the tanaka stand they had a stay on glaze that supposedly chemically bonds to the zirconia. You spray it inside the crown where it has a space for die spacer, you remove the glaze spray around the margins so as not to affect fit. Once fired you can then etch the glaze and e dentist can then etch and bond.

R

Rune

Reaction score
We use zirconia primer. There are several manufacturers.

NathanNever

NathanNever

Reaction score
Zirconium oxide hasn't a glassy phase therefore is not etchable.

J

jgradygdl

Reaction score
one of my customers is using bisco

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Ivoclean

Anyone aware of this product, a concentrated zirconia solution used to wash the phosphate groups in saliva that bond to crown during tryin that do not rinse out with water.

cloe

cloe

Reaction score
Zirconia can't be etched and bonded because of lack of silicon of the glass ceramics. Sandblasting will create micro cracks and is not recomended and acid has no effect on zirconia.I agre with kimba about the cements they aree in use.

NiceOne

NiceOne

Reaction score
Bonding to Porcelain-Glazed Zirconia: Effects of Surface Treatment
Friday, March 22, 2013: 10:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
Presentation Type: Oral Session
S. SARRAMI, Comprehensive Dentistry, University of Texas - San Antonio / Health Science Ctr, San Antonio, TX, N. BARGHI, Restorative Dentistry, University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX, and H.R. RAWLS PHD, Comprehensive Dentistry/Research, University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX

Objective : To examine the effect of various surface treatments on the bond strength of composite resin to zirconia covered with etchable glazed porcelain.
Method : Square-shaped specimens (12mm x 12mm x 2mm) of a commercially available zirconia (NEXSZER Zirconia, Sage Max, AA, 98001) were fabricated and sintered according to the manufacturer’s specifications. Specimens were placed in four groups. The first group (A) served as an untreated control. The specimens of the remaining three groups were coated with a commercially available spray glaze (Z-Luster, Tanaka Dental) at a distance of 8 inches for a about 3 seconds. Sprayed specimens were fired to 990°C under vacuum with one minute of holding time. The three groups of sprayed specimens received the following treatments: (B) no treatment; (C) silane (BisSilane, Bisco Inc., Shamburg, IL); (D) silane and etch with 9.6% hydrofluoric acid (Porcelain Etchant, Bisco Inc., Shamburg, IL). Specimens were bonded to composite resin (Z-100, 3M ESPE) using an UltraDent shear bond fixture. Shear bond strength (SBS) tests were preformed with an Ultra Tester (UltraDent Product Inc.) at a crosshead speed of 1mm/min.

Results : Resulting mean shear bond strengths in megapascals (MPa ± sdev) were as follows: Group A, 0 ± 0; Group B, 2.5 ± 2.0; Group C, 6.5 ± 4.7; Group D, 13.2 ± 3.6. Significantly higher bond strengths (ANOVA, p<0.05) were measured with etching and silanization.

Conclusion : The bond strengths of composite resin to zirconia covered with glazed porcelain is significantly increased by etching and silanization.

Student Presenter This abstract is based on research that was funded entirely or partially by an outside source: Bisco Inc.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Glazing at 990c??

J

Jurim

Reaction score
I use ivoclean all the time, it's the best to decontaminate before I deliver my restorations after trying them in.
This study is stupid, they are etching and silinating the glazed surface, not the zirconia surface. Zirconia does not have any silica to etch

J

Jurim

Reaction score
I use ivoclean all the time, it's the best to decontaminate before I deliver my restorations after trying them in.
This study is stupid, they are etching and silinating the glazed surface, not the zirconia surface. Zirconia does not have any silica to etch

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
You can't etch Zirconia.