Essix blockout

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Did you print the model for the sole purpose of making an essix?
PT has a fear of dentists and a high gag reflex.
Poor hygiene has led to a loose mx central and maybe both.Probable extraction but he doesn't have the funds for an implant.
Dr concerned about a partial design that he may not tolerate so we are testing him with an essex.
The scan worked like a charm and I was able to vac form without any block out.
I may even have his flipper printed just because I can.

Scored huge points with the dr on this one.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
There is going to be quite a few trade ins of old Trios and carestreams this year.
These would make great additions to the lab.
add a $3500 formlab 2 and you are away to the races.

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
Our denture dept. uses Play Doh to block out for suck downs.

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score
I'm an in house tech in a perio practice, I use Tak Model Bloc for blocking out for these. It's easy to adapt, stays in place, easy to remove, and doesn't melt.

190-015.jpg

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
The grey buffalo dental block out blows don't bother with it. maybe for blocking out huge sections definitely didn't adapt well to interproximals.

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
The grey buffalo dental block out blows don't bother with it. maybe for blocking out huge sections definitely didn't adapt well to interproximals.
Oatey Plumber's Putty, spray the model with WD40, apply the putty to the model, flame to smooth. Doc's little Brother is 3D CGI artist, (he did the blood and the wristwatch in the "Enforcer") so he had to take clay animation in college so he taught me the flaming trick.

I make a lot of vacu-formed temporary crown templates, when there is a big deficient on the existing pre-op, I apply medium CA glue to the area, accelerate it then apply LC tray material, model it to look like a tooth and zap it with a cure light. Using snapstone, I can go from alginate to finished template before Doc is finished prepping and impressing the tooth. A vacu-formed temporary crown template and an essix are pretty close technique wise, might work even better if you lubricate the light cure before you vacu-form the essix material.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Oatey Plumber's Putty, spray the model with WD40, apply the putty to the model, flame to smooth. Doc's little Brother is 3D CGI artist, (he did the blood and the wristwatch in the "Enforcer") so he had to take clay animation in college so he taught me the flaming trick.

I make a lot of vacu-formed temporary crown templates, when there is a big deficient on the existing pre-op, I apply medium CA glue to the area, accelerate it then apply LC tray material, model it to look like a tooth and zap it with a cure light. Using snapstone, I can go from alginate to finished template before Doc is finished prepping and impressing the tooth. A vacu-formed temporary crown template and an essix are pretty close technique wise, might work even better if you lubricate the light cure before you vacu-form the essix material.
They do an impression with some pvs to use as their template normally, otherwise I would be doing what you are doing. I was not caring for LC because it always looked thicker or wouldn't smooth properly. I have been using playdough and been getting good results, just don't are for how it sometimes peels off when my hand gets a little residual playdough on it.

Top Bottom