Empress CAD #8,9

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This is the kind of work patients ask my Drs and me to replace.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I will concede that "most" should have been "many." But all one needs to do is go to the mall and smile at people and look at what smiles back at you. Its not that pretty.

A dentist comes on and shows what he is doing chair-side and do most offer constructive criticism? That's criticism with a little constructive help added. NO most are so frightened because their cheese is being moved they just strike out.

You guys keep this up and this will degenerate into a gang of like mined techs with little to learn from each other.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.

J

jkivimaki

Reaction score
I agree with Tom on this one. I have seen some crappy work! I think that we have lost the point of this thread. She was asking for some pointers not to be ridiculed. We have all learned from another tech at some point in our career and it is our "duty" so to speak to help others.
The crowns are ok maybe a 5 or 6 I cant really tell from the pics. The issue that most people have is that after milling you still need an artist/tech to bring them to life. I know that from what was milled I can tweak them and make them at least an 8 with very minimal time. some surface texture, some contouring, and a little layered ceramic goes a long way. I have seen lots of work on this site but when it comes down to it not all the work that we do "is the best ever". I have been to the AACD meetings and looked at the giant piano keys and personally I would rather have these.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.

The real deal is getting paid by the same person over and over for the work you send them. The pictures of the queen or dead presidents on paper are the real votes. They just don't take honers at the store or fund your retirement deserved or otherwise.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Exactly!
My Drs could find cheaper lab work elsewhere but they pay me more to avoid the inconsistant crap that they have received by the other guys.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Exactly!
My Drs could find cheaper lab work elsewhere but they pay me more to avoid the inconsistent crap that they have received by the other guys.

Are Canadians all double jointed so they can pat themselves on the back and bestow honers on themselves from many angels. You guys are a hoot.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I think you already know this, but it appears to me that 8 is wider than 9 and the incisal edge shape does not match and they appear to be a bit too dark. That having been said, I've seen worse. If the patient likes what he can see and you've seen to it that what he can't see is correct,(margins, contacts and function),then there is nothing wrong with it.
I will also say that if I delivered those crowns to one of my accounts I would get them back.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
A dentist comes on and shows what he is doing chair-side and do most offer constructive criticism? That's criticism with a little constructive help added. NO most are so frightened because their cheese is being moved they just strike out.

You know, some of us are so caught up in building little tiny monuments to ourselves, that we forget about the human being who placed the order in the first place. It's obvious the patient is very happy, and rightly so.

I have found that many Cerec patients feel that they are getting some extra special attention from their doctor and that they feel the quality is much higher because the dentist wanted to do the work themselves.

Cerec is a great service for patients, and if you don't like it, you better LEARN TO LIKE it.

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm not going to say the case looks good when it doesn't.

If it looks like crap then I don't care how it's made.If it looks great then I want to know how to do it.

It is a funny thing about life: if you refuse to accept anything but the best you very often get it.

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
Everything you do is a brush stroke in the painting of yourself. If you cant spell or use correct punctuation, it not only impedes communication, it makes you appear to not care about details.

I was out playing some pool a couple nights ago, and was introduced as a tooth maker to a woman who was known to be proud of her new smile. She grinned to show off her recent work, but was shocked when I responded, " Oh. You have a Cerec one hour dentist". She asked how I knew. I can tell by looking. She asked...so after telling her Im not a Dentist so I cant offer clinical advice and am only commenting on the esthetics, I explained how they look fake. Poor color choice, blocky shape, no translucency, etc.

Truth.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'd rather criticize one's spelling than to insult their nationality.

I've been to Texas...easy target!

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
Lets get to the point here. I think what we have here is a clash of perspectives and expectations, and now it's become personal(sorry for calling you ignorant, Tom(aka grandpa ;)).

Some people have higher standards than others, and the quality of a dental restoration is very subjective...in spite of fundamental aesthetic guidelines.

That said we could go on and on about all of the fundamentals that are not in place for a "high" quality restoration here. The fact is patients are not students and critics of this type of work like us and have no basis to judge. Thus, the patient likes the result, and the doc is satisfied because the patient is satisfied.

We have all seen work done that is far worst than this...and how could we expect a work of art to come off a machine with no human touch of artistry, and even with a human touch a lot of work looks like crap because fundamentals are not adhered to or the tech is ignorant(like we all were at one point),or inferior materials were used.

I am no expert on aesthetics, not by a LONG shot, but I am a student and enjoy the pursuit of perfection in this work, and I think we can tell who the others are in that group. Others are more business minded, so they can see the value in selling to a market or demographic that doesn't expect perfection(which is MUCH larger than the first).

Anyway, I think I covered it all in there. Time to agree, to disagree and move on.

Oh, and props to doc Ashley for posting this. You gotta have a thick skin and some balls to post on this site. I was really expecting to get ripped on my first case presentation, and I think the guys really let me off easy with only minor aesthetic infractions. I look forward to more posts of yours, as I'm very interested in the clinical side of restorative dentistry.

Last edited:
k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Dentist caught in crossfire

The provisional comment was...sweet. I laughed, then cried, and now, I'm smiling!

Thanks for the comments,
Kind regards,
Ashley

I think the provisional comment was a bit harsh and it looks like the surgeon took it to heart at one point. I have also posted what I felt over the case and hope that it was constructive, but also think that posting a chair side case on a Dental lab forum was very brave. This was going to get a lot of peoples backs up, as most techs still see this type of system as directly working against laboratory's instead of working in harmony with them. I know its here to stay and personally don't have a problem with it as long as it is sold as an economy crown and not a high end restoration.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I think it's funny the two guys arguing that quality doesn't matter don't fabricate anything in the lab...just saying!!! Seriously, if you can pull of a business model where this work is acceptable, great, who are we to judge. On the flip side, I wouldn't chastise the artist in front of his sculpture either.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i gave up fishing for aethetics advice. its never worked for me here.

technical details, yes. you find a lot of those without even asking, most of the time.

and i'm off topic.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I think it's funny the two guys arguing that quality doesn't matter don't fabricate anything in the lab...just saying!!! Seriously, if you can pull of a business model where this work is acceptable, great, who are we to judge. On the flip side, I wouldn't chastise the artist in front of his sculpture either.

It's always good to hear from Switzerland!:flowers:

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Labs sell custom dental devices to dentist and dental techs are the labor force that make those devices. Now dentists have a way to make a device that is going to change and get better with time. I can see this would be a threat abet a long term one to the tech of today.

You must also remember that software is just the information of a tech being put into a different delivery system. Some of the best and brightest techs among us are recruited to make the software tell the machine what we do by hand. This will also get better faster and cheaper as time goes by.

I did not need to rise to the bait on this thread but I love this kind of stuff.

Last edited: