Drying models

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Ok, so now we are heading in to winter and there’s not enough heat in the windows to dry the models on the window ledge. The radiators are a bit narrow to balance the models on. Top of the burnout furnace is a good bet but a little too warm.

Just wondering what anyone else is doing to get the models dry, or any specific piece of kit…..warm air oven maybe?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I use this by Quincy labs. It's also excellent for drying zr
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412338299.522557.jpg

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
drying models? why not air dry?
are you rushed that much that you need them asap?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
If you follow the instructions for some model systems, Monotrac for example, placing them in a dryer is recommended. I wont section them unless they are dry and warm. No moisture, no dust stuck on them.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
If you follow the instructions for some model systems, Monotrac for example, placing them in a dryer is recommended. I wont section them unless they are dry and warm. No moisture, no dust stuck on them.
true, I didn't consider some of the model system like monotrac.

for sectioning, why does warm matter? my models air dry overnight (I don't use monotrac or any similar model systems) but I don't section while warm. they are room temp ~70F

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
true, I didn't consider some of the model system like monotrac.

for sectioning, why does warm matter? my models air dry overnight (I don't use monotrac or any similar model systems) but I don't section while warm. they are room temp ~70F
My fingers are cold sensitive.....

I've given like 4 serious answers to questions today. There will be no more anytime soon.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
My fingers are cold sensitive.....

I've given like 4 serious answers to questions today. There will be no more anytime soon.
put a dress on!

how many serious questions will you answer tomorrow?
do private messages count?

G

GarryB

Reaction score

Yup, some days just don’t turn out quite like they are planned and we have to get stuff done super quick.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Yup, some days just don’t turn out quite like they are planned and we have to get stuff done super quick.
ah ok. that does happen from time to time. best of luck! take the busy over the slow any day!!!

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I agree sectioning them dry. But I wet my dies before I ditch them. Am I the only one who finds a moist die absorbs vibrations better and chips less?

doug

doug

Reaction score
We've used a toaster oven for the last 28 years to dry our models. We set the temp on it and put a screw in the slider so it can't be moved any higher. Seems to be doing a pretty good job. A woman who worked for me at the time got 2 of them as wedding gifts. She already had an older on so we got that one.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
We dry trim our models so when it is time to section them they are nice and dry. Have not used a model dryer in decades.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
We dry trim our models so when it is time to section them they are nice and dry. Have not used a model dryer in decades.
I agree with that. no wet trimming here either. no slurry. no extra dry time. no extra drying units.

D

Dimis

Reaction score
Why do you dry your models whats the problem if they are wet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gdallc

gdallc

Reaction score
Why do you dry your models whats the problem if they are wet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you use a model system like monotrac if the model is not completely free of moisture the dust sticks to the die and it won't come off. The die won't seat all the way.

Bumfrey

Bumfrey

Reaction score
When i was in the model room many years ago i used hot water. Put your models in a bowl. Boil kettle and pour into bowl. Leave for a moment. Remove models with tongs onto table top. Fast drying begins.
Might help, might not.