LGTCDT

LGTCDT

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new model trimmer and was wondering if anyone
has experience with a dry trimmer.

giessener

giessener

Reaction score
I have been thinking the same thing. There is never enough room around the sink. This would free up some space. You would be able to pin and work with models immediately We do have a Millo from Renfert used for trimming the lingual or inside model area it is dry and works great. It seems like there would be less mess also!:cool:

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Some folks swear by dry trimmers. Just make sure you have suction that's rated for the task. You're talking airborne particles, and that's a serious health issue.

LGTCDT

LGTCDT

Reaction score
Thought of Milo also but was thinking it would be loud like a router.

giessener

giessener

Reaction score
mine's so quiet you hardly hear it running!:cool:

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I wonder how long after you pour before you can trim. Too soon and it will clog your wheel?

I dont know why but the thought of using a dry model trimmer makes the hair on my back, I mean my head stand up.
Like somebody scratching their finger nails across a chaulk board.

LGTCDT

LGTCDT

Reaction score
I ordered one today, will give you an update.

LGTCDT

LGTCDT

Reaction score
We have had this dry trimmer in for 2 months and I got to tell you guys..... it
is well worth it. After pouring, the models never see water again until we steam them before shipping. We noticed in trimming dies that margins were clearer, even the guys that normaly we had to guess their margins were easier to read. There has been a slight dip in remakes and that may be a contributing factor or not. If you are considering one of these, we have the Buffalo Dry Trim, I would say it is worth the investment.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
We have had this dry trimmer in for 2 months and I got to tell you guys..... it
is well worth it. After pouring, the models never see water again until we steam them before shipping. We noticed in trimming dies that margins were clearer, even the guys that normaly we had to guess their margins were easier to read. There has been a slight dip in remakes and that may be a contributing factor or not. If you are considering one of these, we have the Buffalo Dry Trim, I would say it is worth the investment.
That's very interesting input. I guess it would be nice to not have to wait for the models to dry before you take em to the router or glue your pins.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I always pour my models at the end of the day and trim them the next morning.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I have a renfert MT plus, and you can use it wet or dry. This thing cuts faster than any wet or dry trimmer ive ever used. I use it dry only. Its got the diamond wheel on it, and as long as you use the rubber 'eraser' to unclog the wheel, its awesome. Use an accumulator to keep your vac from getting clogged or filled to fast.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Affinity, what suction setup are you using with the MT ?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I use a renfert suction, not sure what its called, its like a shopvac style. Unfortunately I sold my accumulator and Ive been looking for another one, it helps a lot to keep the filter from clogging. Every few days I have to open it and knock all the dust off of the filter.. this is the big downside to dry trimming, but I dont really trim models too much with monotrac so its not a big problem for me. I made a Y switch on the vacuum line so it doubles for my sandblaster and trimmer. I have another suction that I dont use, but this is easier than having two suctions right next to each other.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Wait till you start working with printed models.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i prefer dry trimming as well. no slurry on the models, and no waiting for models to dry before working on them. and with proper trimming disks (and eraser) theres no worry about "clogging" the disk.

the only time i would use a wet trimmer would be for those super super hard and 3 mile thick models that we sometimes get from clients. the stone heats up quite a bit and if youre not careful it will split. its rare, but it can happen if youre not careful.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Ah,there's nothing like wet grinding those big steaming cow patties.
You know, the kind that are so big they have to tape your lab box shut.

Last minute Friday afternoon steamers are the bestBanghead

Old school baby!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Ah,there's nothing like wet grinding those big steaming cow patties.
You know, the kind that are so big they have to tape your lab box shut.

Last minute Friday afternoon steamers are the bestBanghead

Old school baby!
at least they smell minty fresh (most of the time) :D

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ill take a big cow patty over the models I get that barely fill the impression.. I swear theres more water in them than stone.