Drilling holes...what tool?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
For milling holes (drilling operations)...what tool shape is the best?

Radius corner end mill (Torus, Bull-nose, other names? all same shape)

or a Twist-drill tool?

Scott

a213.61.26.20_vem_admin_upload_CO100_image_web_2sb004.jpg
a213.61.26.20_vem_admin_upload_CO100_image_web_2sb004.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
If your answer was a radius corner end mill....then Two flute, or Four flute?

I'd amagine that 2-flute is better when tools are smaller than 2mm in diameter?

What about Roughing with larger radius-corner end mills? (2mm-4mm dia.)Again, Four flute or Two flute?

I would think that the Four Flute are more expensive and harder to manufacture. What is benefit of Four vs/Two?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Well, this is my strategy for now.....

1)PRE-DRILL with a radius corner....just to clean the top of hole and to start a pilot mark/hole just a wee-bit into the hole area.
2)DRILL with a long Twist-drill the majority of the material from the hole...top and bottom. Now we see daylight through the canal.

3)PRE-FINISH with now a radius corner again....just cleaning up and slightly widening the hole to proper dimentions.
4)FINISH DRILL with same style tool. Tight passes. Leaving smooth surface and cleaning up the seating area for screw...

Below is a snapshot of the first operation. The "PRE-DRILL"
It only just "tickles" the hole a little. Not FULL-PENETRATION. LOL
We do that next with different tool.

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_pre_drill._zpsea33c832.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_pre_drill._zpsea33c832.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
SUM3d has "Smart Drilling"

The tool goes down a bit, then pulls back to clean out chips, then back down again, then up, then back down further...etc.

Like a Pogo stick going deeper and deeper.

This is DRILL with a Twist-drill tool.....
This file is from exocad and sum3d automatically used the ConstructionInfo Text file of coordinates that is associated with the CAD stl file.
We need Two files to be more accurate, as previously mentioned on this site...One CAD and One is text.

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_pogo_zpsdba9fb5b.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_pogo_zpsdba9fb5b.jpg

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Looking good ! Are they reall cases or samples ?

D

Dejvis

Reaction score
Hi Scott

For milling holes Twist-drill tool are Super :)

But i use a little different strategy for implant bridges and bars

as15.postimage.org_77mljpmgb_Untitled.png
as15.postimage.org_77mljpmgb_Untitled.png

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Scott

For milling holes Twist-drill tool are Super :)

But i use a little different strategy for implant bridges and bars

So what's different? Because I actually started with the Daytron Template.
PRobably the same one you have in fron of you. Maybe some words are different?

Can I have your strategy to see? Ypu can have mine as well if ya want? But it is not tested very much yet.
I'm sending ya my email if you feel like sharing...

Scott

greeny

greeny

Sponsors
Reaction score
here's another interesting/useful tool for drilling holes:

ai1172.photobucket.com_albums_r580_jtgreeny_IMG_20120919_162221_zps1ef0c735.jpg

it's used instead of the helical path ball mill in the pre-drill step (as you called it). it's a simple drilling operation that creates a small pilot hole - sorry but it's hard to see that the tip of the tool comes to a single point in the picture. it prevents the following step, the actual drill, from running on initial contact. both ways are completely acceptable, this is just another alternative. there are slight advantages and disadvantages for each.
ai1172.photobucket.com_albums_r580_jtgreeny_IMG_20120919_162221_zps1ef0c735.jpg

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Cool.

Thanks for the quick order on the tools Jordan!

We are trying them now.

Scott

greeny

greeny

Sponsors
Reaction score
No problem! I saw in your other thread that they're having the same problem your other tools had. This is OK though, you're eliminating the potential problems one at a time so you can zero in on the actual culprit.

Do you want to send me one of those crappy CrCo blanks to see if I'm having similar problems with tool life? Or are they going back to the manufacturer?

Dentaleng

Dentaleng

Reaction score
I use corner radius for roughing and Flat for finishing. No Drills. I would love to use drills though, but for a lot of reasons I don't.

Dentaleng

Dentaleng

Reaction score
The milling parameters especially the DOC or the fixture overhang seems to be the main culprits. I use CrCo from Eisenbacher and its quite hard.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
No problem! I saw in your other thread that they're having the same problem your other tools had. This is OK though, you're eliminating the potential problems one at a time so you can zero in on the actual culprit.

Do you want to send me one of those crappy CrCo blanks to see if I'm having similar problems with tool life? Or are they going back to the manufacturer?

OK, you are welcome to have a "whack" at it!

You will have tommorow!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I use corner radius for roughing and Flat for finishing. No Drills. I would love to use drills though, but for a lot of reasons I don't.

You are prejudice against twist drills huh? It is the correct tool to make a hole I believe.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
The milling parameters especially the DOC or the fixture overhang seems to be the main culprits. I use CrCo from Eisenbacher and its quite hard.

Are you happy with Eisenbacher CrCo ? Is it too hard ? What about bond with porcelain ?

Dentaleng

Dentaleng

Reaction score
You are prejudice against twist drills huh? It is the correct tool to make a hole I believe.

If I have to use drills, the process becomes too long, Pre-drill, Drill and Flat for the bigger hole and similar for the smaller hole. Almost 5 tools to make a single Countered bored hole.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
If I have to use drills, the process becomes too long, Pre-drill, Drill and Flat for the bigger hole and similar for the smaller hole. Almost 5 tools to make a single Countered bored hole.

Go get a mill that does sub 2 second tool changes. (POW-POW...back to milling) Then you won't worry about changing tools often during milling?

Top Bottom