Digital scans and 3shape importation

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I had a doctor send me a STL of a case off of his cs3500 intra oral scanner. I went to import it into 3shape. I had to select model in the case log in due to it looking for DCM files when digital impression was selected.

It keeps importing the buccal as the occlusal orientation. It would take me about 2 seconds to fix this in exocad. We tried everything in 3shape and could not get the problem solved? I would select tooth number 2, which was the prep, and it would put the margin selection on the buccal of tooth number 3? Someone mentioned that I would have to purchase a $5000 module to do this!? I hope that's not the case. I tried resetting the insertion direction etc., but it would just flip the margin line back to the buccal when I went forward.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
I had someone send me the .stl files from Carestream and I created a new order form and imported them that way. To import the occlusal orientation scan, I believe you do have to have "Allscans", but I didn't even use the occlusal orientation. It lined up perfectly without it.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
you need the highest module tier for model builder - All Scans STL.

They typically have some data points written into them for auto-bite alignment. but it's not always correct.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Yeah I was just told that I may need the all scans module. I think three shave works off of a Y positive occlusion orientation. I may see if care stream can change the settings on this particular doctors unit. I'm actually about to order EXOCAD anyway

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Going back to Exo?

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Yeah I was just told that I may need the all scans module. I think three shave works off of a Y positive occlusion orientation. I may see if care stream can change the settings on this particular doctors unit. I'm actually about to order EXOCAD anyway

Exocad?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Send to me, I'll do it in Exocad and export it to you :)

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I'm adding Exocad as an addition to my 3shape. Not a replacement lol. There's just a lot of things I can do with exocad A lot easier than I can with 3shape

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
can i have a copy of this case as it stands from carestream ? mistergodfrey at gmail.com

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Likewise please.
I want to try rotating In blender.
Lachlan dot thompson at live dot com
Thanks

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
we have exocad + 3Shape here as well, i think both are strong contenders