digital models

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Here is a question for some people smarter than I. Is it possible to do a digital wax-up, and instead of milling out the wax-up, mill the model with the wax-up design as one piece? I'm rocking 3Shape for those that don't know me. Thanks

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
If you export the model and the "waxup" in the same matching orientation and import to Rhino you can merge them( group) in this program easily.
Then export as one stl file, then print. That will do what you want.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
If you have exocad, then is much easier. Hide meshs you do not want to include and save all visible mesh as stl. done.

3d print or mill.....milling will be much much more expensive to do!

M

MFerg

Reaction score
3Shape is currently in development for precisely this type of work flow. Should be out within a few months.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Here is a question for some people smarter than I. Is it possible to do a digital wax-up, and instead of milling out the wax-up, mill the model with the wax-up design as one piece? I'm rocking 3Shape for those that don't know me. Thanks
so basically a digital diagnostic print? is that the goal?

K

Kaypan

Reaction score
Have not tried this myself, but maybe do your design in full contour. When finished, right click on order, select copy and the append cad design to model. Then modify the order and open in model builder and do the model?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
The danish guys are working on it exo showed them only little time

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I don't think you would get the detail you're looking for.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
We've done quite a few in Exocad (sorry Shane). I like it personally, especially when I'm staring at four of them to do, my cad/cam guy can jump in and do a couple digitally for me.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
not wax up quality of details. Morphology yes
Yep, you may have to clean it up a little, tighten up a line angle or round some embrasures...etc. However, make sure you have a traditional wax that matches your milled wax.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
not wax up quality of details. Morphology yes
i dont expect that right now, but i really cant imagine it being too much longer before that kind of printing comes about. just the leaps in tech the industry has had in the past 5 years is incredible.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It's the weak link right now but you're right ,it will improve.

I don't think milling is perfect either but at this point it's better.

I've yet to get any bubbles or pulls though.:)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
It's the weak link right now but you're right ,it will improve.

I don't think milling is perfect either but at this point it's better.

I've yet to get any bubbles or pulls though.:)
you feel milling is better than printing? i def agree that it has more uses...but just for upkeep and consumable products, and waste, printing takes a front seat IMHO. as the printing materials improve we will see more and more uses.
had a guy here for some training with my scanner/software this past week....he had a fully functional crescent wrench that was printed all in one print. one print! threads and screw and all! very cool, theres not a mill on the planet that can do that or come close

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
you feel milling is better) than printing? i def agree that it has more uses...but just for upkeep and consumable products, and waste, printing takes a front seat IMHO. as the printing materials improve we will see more and more uses.
had a guy here for some training with my scanner/software this past week....he had a fully functional crescent wrench that was printed all in one print. one print! threads and screw and all! very cool, theres not a mill on the planet that can do that or come close

Hey Thomas,

STL stands for "Surface Tessellation Language" (not Stereo LithogrAphy as most think , that's actually SLA) Optical scanners use light and/or lasers to measure the surface of a given object in order to create a tessellation of an object"s outer surface,... ONLY,. soooooo..... how did he scan the inside of the wrench.
Cone beam scanners can "see inside" in order to create a DICOM file which is in 3D but cone beam scatters wildly with metal,..sooooo....
I guess there could be a way of doing this by scanning each part and use the separate STL files to do some sort of virtual joining. But on the printing side you'd have to maybe find a way to leave out the binder at the interfaces I guess,..I don't know Thomas,..I think your buddy might be best served using that wrench to tighten some bolts on his milling machine,.... for now anyway LOL.......

- Rob

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
I think the point is missed here a bit... Milling and printing are both great, and have their unique uses. The good thing about milling is we can mill more bio materials at the moment.
Printing is still limited but in time we will be able to print very useful bio materials. It will be a while though until its affordable I feel.

The wrench is actually easy to print if you understand that space needed for the Worm Screw mecahnism is filled with support materials as the printing is executed then this support material is dissolved away. It seems amazing, and it is very cool.

I don't think anyone suggested the wrench was internally scanned... This would have been CAD designed. Or possibly taken apart and scanned in individual parts then reassembled in CAD.

As far as STL goes...

It seems to have many names

Standard Triangulation Language
STereo Lithography
Standard Tessellation Language

I even get confused as in the literature all 3 are used. I think the best thing to do is ask 3D Systems. They invented it. Can anyone help there, for a definitive answer?

decs%20005-w-wrench2-6.jpg

ObjetGears.jpg

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Hey Thomas,

STL stands for "Surface Tessellation Language" (not Stereo LithogrAphy as most think , that's actually SLA) Optical scanners use light and/or lasers to measure the surface of a given object in order to create a tessellation of an object"s outer surface,... ONLY,. soooooo..... how did he scan the inside of the wrench.
Cone beam scanners can "see inside" in order to create a DICOM file which is in 3D but cone beam scatters wildly with metal,..sooooo....
I guess there could be a way of doing this by scanning each part and use the separate STL files to do some sort of virtual joining. But on the printing side you'd have to maybe find a way to leave out the binder at the interfaces I guess,..I don't know Thomas,..I think your buddy might be best served using that wrench to tighten some bolts on his milling machine,.... for now anyway LOL.......

- Rob
i dont know that i mentioned anything about it being scanned. it was my understanding that it was cad designed, not scanned. just as Terry mentioned, i think the point is being missed.
i do believe there is a future in milling, i just happen to believe that printing COULD pose a brighter future as it grows.