Desktop scanner environmental concerns

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting back into C&B, and today that means gettin' digi' wit' it.

I have gained from many of you much knowledge and wisdom on the topic and thank you all.
But I have realized a problem exists. My office space is on a main road through town. Actually at the corner of two of them.

Daily during business hours there are heavy trucks, loud car music, glasspack warriors, Harley Groups (dealership nearby) and the like come by that actually rattle the doors. For real, the lab doors and hallway glass panels actually rattle. My coffee mug looks like that water cup in Jurassic Park when the T.Rex first comes to visit the guests food.

Are there any station setup tips for modifications or accommodations that can be made to prevent these vibrations from skewing my scans? Aside from redoing them on every occasion that somebody comes by loud?

My only idea is to get some of those rectangular foam gardening knee pads and set the scanner on them.
I can't be the only one with a resonant structure, there's gotta be a better way.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Get a Trios demo model.
Handheld and ideal for all articulators . C&b and dentures.
Lab scanners will be obsolete real soon.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Get a Trios demo model.
I would like that route, but it would prevent other expansion options. I'm not sold on doing implant bars by Trios scans.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
hang it from a rope. do your work on a swing.

anyway it wont be that bad.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I would like that route, but it would prevent other expansion options. I'm not sold on doing implant bars by Trios scans.
Send those to Panthera .You buying a mill?

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
You could always sit the scanner on the thick grommets AC units and heat pumps sit on, would absorb the vibration while keeping everything level.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Get a Trios demo model.
While I dont want to discourage J to try out the Trios scanner, I just cant see hand held scanners in a production environment. Unless the scanner is done with less than 5 images. Even then.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
While I dont want to discourage J to try out the Trios scanner, I just cant see hand held scanners in a production environment. Unless the scanner is done with less than 5 images. Even then.

If your production environment is just scanning models then I would probably agree although It doesn't take very long with Trios.
However more and more drs are purchasing their own scanners. In fact I only have 2 offices that don't send IOS's. They are on the verge of getting one.

I have to upgrade my D700 soon and if all my clients have their own scanner then a desktop is not necessary.
I will probably buy my 2nd Trios and use the old one in the lab if need be.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
If your production environment is just scanning models then I would probably agree although It doesn't take very long with Trios.
However more and more drs are purchasing their own scanners. In fact I only have 2 offices that don't send IOS's. They are on the verge of getting one.

I have to upgrade my D700 soon and if all my clients have their own scanner then a desktop is not necessary.
I see. In a case like yours it makes sense. Thanks for elaborating...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I see. In a case like yours it makes sense. Thanks for elaborating...
The Trios upgrades are designed for chairside restorations so it now comes with it's own design software.
not sure if it compares to lab cad but that could be just a matter of time.

Trying to predict the future here.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
might be selling my D700 later this year....depending on how cashflow goes on the budget for a new scanner.
oh, its a workhorse too. dont push the desk against the wall, and put some foam board pieces (insulation) under the desk legs. should absorb the vibrations and the scanner should be good. besides, it moves while scanning...no biggie!

PDC

PDC

Reaction score

I gotta agree with RKM on this. Technology is again changing the landscape on how we work. Once those IOS scanners make it into more dental offices (which they will),all the labs will need is computers with design software. This is one reason I have held on to my old CS2 scanner. I don't really use it that much because most of my accounts now have IOS systems.

I think the desktop scanner business will shrink in the near future. Unfortunately, we have to have them during this transition period.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I gotta agree with RKM on this. Technology is again changing the landscape on how we work. Once those IOS scanners make it into more dental offices (which they will),all the labs will need is computers with design software. This is one reason I have held on to my old CS2 scanner. I don't really use it that much because most of my accounts now have IOS systems.

I think the desktop scanner business will shrink in the near future. Unfortunately, we have to have them during this transition period.
tricky part is figuring out how long the transition period will be.....5-10yr prob. and depends upon the individual markets of everyone here

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
might be selling my D700 later this year....depending on how cashflow goes on the budget for a new scanner.
hmm. Send me a note when your timing gets closer. Planning a bit longish on my end right now. 6 months or so. Just looking for and pluging holes in my plan before I attempt to enact it.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting back into C&B, and today that means gettin' digi' wit' it.

I have gained from many of you much knowledge and wisdom on the topic and thank you all.
But I have realized a problem exists. My office space is on a main road through town. Actually at the corner of two of them.

Daily during business hours there are heavy trucks, loud car music, glasspack warriors, Harley Groups (dealership nearby) and the like come by that actually rattle the doors. For real, the lab doors and hallway glass panels actually rattle. My coffee mug looks like that water cup in Jurassic Park when the T.Rex first comes to visit the guests food.

Are there any station setup tips for modifications or accommodations that can be made to prevent these vibrations from skewing my scans? Aside from redoing them on every occasion that somebody comes by loud?

My only idea is to get some of those rectangular foam gardening knee pads and set the scanner on them.
I can't be the only one with a resonant structure, there's gotta be a better way.
You can start here maybe.

Adam Equipment Anti-Vibration Table for Precision and Analytical Balances https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XJ942O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_HDusBbR1P5QSA

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

A

adl

Reaction score
I used to have a D700, updated to a D1000 last year. What a difference, so much more efficient.D700 is really outdated ,you’ll notice right away

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I used to have a D700, updated to a D1000 last year. What a difference, so much more efficient.D700 is really outdated ,you’ll notice right away
im sure i will. the d700 has been great for our first scanner. no complaints, its been able to crank out nearly everything ive needed. but as we are getting more and more complex case load i want to upgrade to something that allows full semi adjustable articulator scans. thats really where the d700 lacks. the scan chamber is dang limiting.

Top Bottom