Designing FCZ for hybrid abutment crowns

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I have been doing an increasing number of hybrid screw-retained abutment crowns. I have been waxing the crowns with a screw access hole, pressing in monolithic e.Max, and cementing them to Ti Atlantis abutments. Is there a way to do these types of restorations using monolithic Zirconia instead of e.Max? I outsource all my zirconia to Wieland so I don't mill in house. I am using a DWOS scanner right now, but I will have a 3Shape D900 soon.

AGV

AGV

Reaction score
Two ways:
1- Scan the Ti base and treat it like a normal crown. Exocad allows to design a chime for the screw. If not, hand made the hole. This is the easy way.
2- Buy scan markers and a library.

I have a question for you. How do you are debonding it if needed?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I have only needed to debond a crown once. We ran it up in the oven to burn out the cement. The e.Max crown cracked during this process. Not sure if there is a good way to do this. Hopefully I won't need to do it again. :)

AGV

AGV

Reaction score
Yep. Nobody at IVOCLAR knows how to debond. Good luck.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
yeah i just design a crown over the interface chimney. and then add a screw access hole.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
There is a screw retained crown option that works absolutely wonderfully in 3Shape! You can scan in the arch with the proper scan bodies and design the crown on top of the Ti base that's in the library. Mill, sinter, then glue the restoration to the Ti base. WALA!! Screw retained crown!

Screwretainedcrown.jpg

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
There is a screw retained crown option that works absolutely wonderfully in 3Shape! You can scan in the arch with the proper scan bodies and design the crown on top of the Ti base that's in the library. Mill, sinter, then glue the restoration to the Ti base. WALA!! Screw retained crown!

View attachment 15521

Exactly. And we use this function to create the wax patterns for screw-retained eMax, as well.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Check out Cap Acadamy for an instructional video on this subject.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
exocad can make the hole any size without the need for scan-markers as well.

I find this method to be easiest and more accurate than using scan-marker...

ceram1

ceram1

Reaction score
I have been doing an increasing number of hybrid screw-retained abutment crowns. I have been waxing the crowns with a screw access hole, pressing in monolithic e.Max, and cementing them to Ti Atlantis abutments. Is there a way to do these types of restorations using monolithic Zirconia instead of e.Max? I outsource all my zirconia to Wieland so I don't mill in house. I am using a DWOS scanner right now, but I will have a 3Shape D900 soon.
This is very very easy to do with dental wings as well. Use cad abutment build up which is part of the base cad package. Follow the directions for abutment scanning. In cad concentrate on anatomy design, remove abutment constraints on overlay, and dentalband in the balance for screw retaind full contour crown. If you have the implant module get a library and speed up scan a bit with a couple more design options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
but what if i don't want a million scan bodies?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
or worse, what if we've modified the UCLA abutment?

Bumfrey

Bumfrey

Reaction score
exocad can make the hole any size without the need for scan-markers as well.

I find this method to be easiest and more accurate than using scan-marker...
How? Would save me a few minutes, as i create a channel but will not go all the way through. i use the increase/reduce paint brush. It stops at minimum thickness. I do not know all of exocads features.
Thanks in advance.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Dental Wings has a feature called'' Ti-base abutment'' . It will scan the Ti base and let you design the restoration with the hole already there .

AGV

AGV

Reaction score
How? Would save me a few minutes, as i create a channel but will not go all the way through. i use the increase/reduce paint brush. It stops at minimum thickness. I do not know all of exocads features.
Thanks in advance.[/

Bumfrey,

You can drag the channel by left click IN THE BASE OF THE ARROW OF THE CHANNEL. And just in the base, anywhere else.
Set direccion by click in the point of the arrow or in control window.
In the window there is a slide to give the diameter, 0.1-8 mm.