DentaLab for QuickBooks Software

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I was just looking at quickbooks. Looks like online starter package is $12.95 per month, add credit card processing for another $12.95 per month. Website for $7 something per month. I think I'm going for this package but I'm gun shy about hidden charges..... Anybody have any insight on this and is online better/worse than just buying the Quickbook program?

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
I've been using Quick Books from day one - 5 years now and love it. Easy to use and does just about everything I need. Go on line and buy a "Quick book for dummies" book and get started.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I've been using Quick Books from day one - 5 years now and love it. Easy to use and does just about everything I need. Go on line and buy a "Quick book for dummies" book and get started.

Thanks, I will. I need a website and want to also start accepting credit cards. Business ownership is not for the faint of heart! (no smiley face!)

F

forums

Reaction score
Online vs. Desktop QuickBooks

At this time, the online versions of QuickBooks do not have the same capabiltieis as the desktop versions, but Intuit is working on increasing these.

You should determine if you need to have the mobile access that the online version offers or if occasional remote access from the desktop via a free service such as logmein will be sufficient. With mobile access, you need to always be concerned about the security and privacy of your data, so extra precautions should be taken.

In terms of money, aside from your website fee, the online version with credit card processing will cost about $312 per year. With the Pro desktop version of QuickBooks, the license fee is about $184 and with two free months of credit card process and a basic fee of $10 per month, the total would be about $284. Many of those with the Pro version update to a later version on an average of once every three years. So in the second and third year, the fee would be limited to the credit card processing at the rate of $120 per year.

So in summary for a 3-year value analysis, the online cost would be about $936; the desktop approach would be about $524.

We find that many of the small labs that license the DentaLab for QuickBooks Starter add-on for laboratory case management for the fee of $400 do the same thing, not updating every single year but just when they feel the updates are worth it.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
At this time, the online versions of QuickBooks do not have the same capabiltieis as the desktop versions, but Intuit is working on increasing these.

You should determine if you need to have the mobile access that the online version offers or if occasional remote access from the desktop via a free service such as logmein will be sufficient. With mobile access, you need to always be concerned about the security and privacy of your data, so extra precautions should be taken.

In terms of money, aside from your website fee, the online version with credit card processing will cost about $312 per year. With the Pro desktop version of QuickBooks, the license fee is about $184 and with two free months of credit card process and a basic fee of $10 per month, the total would be about $284. Many of those with the Pro version update to a later version on an average of once every three years. So in the second and third year, the fee would be limited to the credit card processing at the rate of $120 per year.

So in summary for a 3-year value analysis, the online cost would be about $936; the desktop approach would be about $524.

We find that many of the small labs that license the DentaLab for QuickBooks Starter add-on for laboratory case management for the fee of $400 do the same thing, not updating every single year but just when they feel the updates are worth it.

This is good info, thanks. Looks like I'll go with the desktop version. What I want is a website for general info, place where docs can get a copy of lab slip and make credit card payments. Need the quickbooks mostly for invoices
(the basic) and hold my options open to upgrade later.As far as website goes, this is confusing on the price. Do you have to pay for domain name and webite? On the credit card do they charge you for the account and a percentage on sales (I'm talking about the Intuit programs).

Thanks

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going with the Intuit packagae. the tech guy walked me through most of it. website, quickbooks online , credit card capable, going to be something like $35 a month. My brain has now turned to mush after going over all of this but this is a long needed upgrade. I think he said upgrades with the online version are free, but get the impression that I'll have to be careful and get this stuff in writing as it's kind of like buying a used car, I'm hopeful though. Now i have to set up the website.....

K

Kurt Goodfellow

Reaction score
Evident can create a web page branded for your lab so your doctors can log in. From there they can submit cases, check balances, and more! So if you don't have a web site already we can provide you with some web presence!

Already have a web site? We can seamlessly integrate our gateway. Your doctors can navigate your site as usual but now they are able to log in and view their account information, and interact with your lab!

This means submitting cases, scheduling pickups, attaching photos or documents, sending notes, as well as accessing printed documents, like statements or invoices.

We will soon allow you to process credit cards through our software, and we already link with quick books.

Kurt Goodfellow
Evident Inc.
Dental Lab Software: Evident

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Evident can create a web page branded for your lab so your doctors can log in. From there they can submit cases, check balances, and more! So if you don't have a web site already we can provide you with some web presence!

Already have a web site? We can seamlessly integrate our gateway. Your doctors can navigate your site as usual but now they are able to log in and view their account information, and interact with your lab!

This means submitting cases, scheduling pickups, attaching photos or documents, sending notes, as well as accessing printed documents, like statements or invoices.

We will soon allow you to process credit cards through our software, and we already link with quick books.

Kurt Goodfellow
Evident Inc.
Dental Lab Software: Evident

Thank you Kurt and I also got your email. I think I'm going to stick with what have for the moment. There is a large learning curve and I like having a one stop place to ask questions. Later if this takes off I'll look to expand and need something more like what you have to offer.

Thanks!

K

Kurt Goodfellow

Reaction score
No problem, best of luck!

If you are going to be at LMT Lab Day in Chicago stop by and say hi!

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
Number of users

Hi Kurt.. Can you let us know.. How many labs are using EVIDENT at this time?
Thank you.. Jorge
PS. Potential user

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Played around with the QuickBooks (free 30 days) for the last month of 2011 but it didn't seem it was for me. I found Sage Peachtree 2011 Complete Accounting on Amazon for $22 and bought a copy. Just dpwnloaded it and it looks like it will work. They can even process credit cards.
Anybody else use this and can give some tips?

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
I just started using the same thing myself. Seems like you can get a lot of detail if you take the time and set everything up right. Just takes a lot of time to set it up. Customizing the forms drove me up a wall. You do need a good concept of basic accounting or you will have a tough time with it.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I just started using the same thing myself. Seems like you can get a lot of detail if you take the time and set everything up right. Just takes a lot of time to set it up. Customizing the forms drove me up a wall. You do need a good concept of basic accounting or you will have a tough time with it.

Are you going to use the credit card processing? How are you backing up the files? I haven't got far enough to customize the forms yet so we'll see how that goes!

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
I will eventually get into cc processing but I haven't tried that yet. I have an external hard drive on my home network that I back up to every week. Peach tree is installed on my laptop so when I take the laptop home I just back up to the network.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I like the external hard drive idea, I'll use that thanks. Do you think backing up once a week is enough, I'm too paranoid not to probably back it up everyday at closing time.:)

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
We use quickbooks here but we do back it up daily. We back up to a usb thumbdrive and it goes home with me everynight. That way if our building burns down or some wise guy breaks in and steals my computer I still have everything.

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Might be a good idea to back up every day. I like the idea of the thumb drive. I sometimes like to leave the laptop at the lab.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
We use quickbooks here but we do back it up daily. We back up to a usb thumbdrive and it goes home with me everynight. That way if our building burns down or some wise guy breaks in and steals my computer I still have everything.

I need a new computer so badly..... I'm not sure where a thumb drive would go on here but will find out and will use one. I just logged on and the computer said that it had recovered from a serious error, I bet it was from the Peachtree program and the NetFrame program I had to download..... I'm also guessing it would be best to have a dedicated computer just for business related and not take a chance using a one-for-all.....

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
If you decide to get a new pc; look at a Mac. Their customer service and support is unparalleled. They have taken care of me numerous times.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I need a new computer so badly..... I'm not sure where a thumb drive would go on here but will find out and will use one. I just logged on and the computer said that it had recovered from a serious error, I bet it was from the Peachtree program and the NetFrame program I had to download..... I'm also guessing it would be best to have a dedicated computer just for business related and not take a chance using a one-for-all.....

We have a desktop just bought a new HP this year with windows 7 and like it ALOT better then the Vista. I know several small labs that use laptops so they can just take it home with them.

The thing for me is I like working on a desktop alot better then a laptop. What I mean by that is I like the keyboard and mouse alot better not to mention we got alot bigger screen then you can get with a laptop. ;) I use a laptop when I'm at home on the couch browsing the internet, but thats personally preference....

Sounds like a new computer would be a good investment and in most cases really are a very small expense considering how much they do.