Dental Softworks CAM and Roland DWX50

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I have been using Dental Softworks for a few months now with my Roland. I thought I would share a few of my experiences so far. 11 posterior crowns, utilizing the .3mm bur, took 1 minute and 30 seconds to calculate..... That's pretty phenomenal. I am getting absolutely beautiful results with dead on fits. Large span bridges fit perfectly. Nice, quiet, smooth milling. Extremely user friendly and very feature rich. I love the way the system is layed out to develop strategies. Easy tool measurement and type input and very easy to use interface. So far I am loving it. Will keep you posted!;)

Jason Nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Jason can you alter the strategies? Write your own or tweak them to cut faster?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Jason can you alter the strategies? Write your own or tweak them to cut faster?

Yes. Very easily;) program in any tool you need etc.. The calculation speed has really changed a lot of things for me. Especially if you need to use different shades pucks.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Who's your reseller for this CAM ?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
How is the Zubler mill going?

Try any Titanium yet?

Why are going round in circles with CAM software?

Pick One, and learn it?

R

Ryan

Reaction score
I have been using Dental Softworks for a few months now with my Roland. I thought I would share a few of my experiences so far. 11 posterior crowns, utilizing the .3mm bur, took 1 minute and 30 seconds to calculate..... That's pretty phenomenal. I am getting absolutely beautiful results with dead on fits. Large span bridges fit perfectly. Nice, quiet, smooth milling. Extremely user friendly and very feature rich. I love the way the system is layed out to develop strategies. Easy tool measurement and type input and very easy to use interface. So far I am loving it. Will keep you posted!;)

Jason Nicely

Jason,
I am glad that you like the software and can see the added value to your operation.

Primus,
We can mill Ti. with no problems. We will be launching our FDA compliant abutment solution for this mill in the next few months. In addition there are labs in Europe using this machine to cut Ti every day. If you are interested PM me and I can send you more information on the machine.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
How is the Zubler mill going?

Try any Titanium yet?

Why are going round in circles with CAM software?

Pick One, and learn it?

I currently do not own a Zubler mill. Hopefully one day I will reach a point where I need a beast like that.

I am currently metal free and do not do any bars etc..

I was unaware I was going round and round with CAM software?

In order to "pick one" there has to be more then one you have tried? Right? Which is exactly what I am doing?

I am pretty proficient with the two I am currently using. SUM3D is top notch CAM software. No complaints. I just saw the decreased calculation times in Dental Softworks with zero degradation in milling quality when compared to SUM3D and figured it was worth checking out. 45 minutes to calculate 22 units utilizing a .3mm bur as opposed to 5 minutes with Dental Softworks? Why wouldn't you check it out? On top of the $2000 yearly licensing fee I was just quoted for SUM3D?

Jason

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry, I though you sold you Roland and bought the other unit this year. Guess I was wrong.

You are not forced into the license fee for sum3d.

They are almost finished with a new 64-bit version that will enhance the calc times.

That difference is pretty impressive Jason! I wonder what is going on to explain the major difference.

Even DelCam and OpenMind are very similar calc times compared to SUM. ??

Do you have an explination as to whats happening?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Who's your reseller for this CAM ?

Zubler.

Scott, not sure what programming they have done to allowing to calculate so fast. If I told you how fast it would calculate a complex bar, you wouldn't believe me......

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
....not sure what programming they have done to allowing to calculate so fast....

Would assume that the calc. intensive parts (tight loops) are written in Assembly then optimized... often the case for games when they want to keep the framerates high... quite the speed gain in comparison with high level programming languages.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
oh... interesting... was dead set on getting Sum3D but... hmm... that difference in calculation time is just massive...

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
if i'm not mistaken they are calculating in real time. instead of finishing the whole thing. (I could be wrong, but that is what i thought it did).

Sum3D runs the whole thing and then you load it.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
V panel for the roland runs the sum3d strategy as its being calculated. or at least it can.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
V panel for the roland runs the sum3d strategy as its being calculated. or at least it can.

yes it can. However, I am a fan of making sure the calculations didn't run an error before running.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
oh, that makes sense.
so how much does Dental Softworks cost? It looks like Sum3D will run me $8,500 with strategies.

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
For the high dollar boys, Delcam's newest version is so fast it's bizarre, literally seconds,...By default, we have the new Exo-CAM which is also very, very fast,...don't know how they did it but I like it,.... remember the old days,......z-z-z-z-z-z-damn it-z-z-z-z-z-z-not yet-zzzzzz-really?!-zzzzzzzzzz......... it's like night and day

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
There's quite a speed difference between knowledge based vs. feature based cams... Knowledge based has lot of stuff pre calculated...thus it can run almost real time...

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Its a fast and easy use calculating software if you dont have undercuts and different other things but if you dont have the knowledge in this cases you fail. Sum has 5 times more in the automatic and maybe thats the reason in calculation speed. 64 bit is even faster a few things to change some errors but they work on it. Ive seen a 450 i working with it, my mini with sum is in special cases ten times better maybe the guys running the 450 have not the knowledge . Its easy use fast and cheap.but i want 0.1 margins and a few other things.A few guys outside milling models even those with the big horses run smaller mills with sum for this cases, not delcam not open mind they still have .

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I'm running dental Softworks with my mini. It's phenomenal. Extremely fast calculations and beautiful rests. I've run Sum3D and I am getting much better results with dental Softworks.

If you do not make a decision then your possibilities are endless.

L

labtek

Reaction score
I'm running dental Softworks with my mini. It's phenomenal. Extremely fast calculations and beautiful rests. I've run Sum3D and I am getting much better results with dental Softworks.

If you do not make a decision then your possibilities are endless.

My possibilities are endless for sure because it is hard to make the correct decision in regards to milling. Everyone who has a system for sale is proud to boast that it is the best on the market. They all look good in the brochures. Jason, from your experiences and conversations with so many people about milling, what are the two systems you would recommend I narrow down to chose from. I currently have a 3shape 810 scanner and I outsource my zirconia. We are about 90% metal free at this time. I need a Mill, cam software and sintering oven recommendations from you and anyone else who can give real world work related suggestions. I am not looking for the cheapest system, I am in need of the system that is the best value and has the least amount of problems.

The Wieland mini, DWX 50 seem like decent machines, will they stand up to 60 units of production per week?
MIlling wax and zirconia. What systems are rising to the top of heap?

Last question. What reseller can be trusted to follow through with support and guidance as promised.

Top Bottom