Dad needs some help

user name

user name

Reaction score
I have a couple questions; removeables arent my field. My 80 year old dad is new to dentures. He had a bunch of extractions and had dentures made.

Sorry if this is too much back story. I didnt even realize he was considering doing this...he had lost a couple teeth but seemed generally in good health and ate well. The new dentures dont look anything like his old teeth. Too light a shade, a little too femine shaped and too much labial lip support. Those are all things we can deal with down the road I guess. He had much difficulty with the lower, so he had two zimmer implants placed and the denture was retrofitted over them. He was getting real sore from I believe some cantilever movement and pressure in the posterior. He removed the denture and now says he cant get it back in. He says he has pain around one of the abutments. He saw the surgon yesterday and was told the implants are fine, so he left...but he neglected to then ask 'whats hurting then'? The surgon told him to go back to the Dentist and have him relieve the acrylic around the abutment/attachment. That doesnt answer the pain issue, so thats my main question. Could it be some tissue impingement from the placement of the abutment, or what should be looked at?

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
If there's tissue impingement, then the solution is relieve the denture base around the abutment/attachment. just like the dr said.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
When you say "cantilever movement" and "denture won't go in" I picture implant failure . Somethings shifted, the bite is wrong, something is causing the implants to be stressed. I always questioned implants on 80 and 90 year old people anyway, that's a lot of stress and maintenence that most don't need.
IMHO the denture is probably due to be replaced (if he's healed for at least several months now). He may lose the implants down the road. If he doesn't have a ridge he could have some bone built up by the OS and that would help keep a denture in. What degree tooth does he have. Lots of prosths like to use monoplane teeth on elderly people, but just guessing he would need something like a ten degree tooth if he likes to eat much without all the stress of 20 or 30 degree tooth. He may also just need a reline that could cause a cantalever effect as would teeth set way off the ridge (implants or no implants.....)

user name

user name

Reaction score
Thanks...and to the PM guy. I dont know what the teeth are. They look pretty flat. I got a look in his mouth today and eyeballed his denture. I think itll be a pretty easy fix.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Flipper, when he said "cantilever movement", I envisioned rocking or rotation of the base. Remember, this is a two implant retained,tissue supported, so some rotational movement is expected. Excessive rotation indications either a need for reline and / or re-orientaion of the attachment females in the denture base. Common problems with common solutions.
I seriously doubt implant failure- the clinician saw nothing amiss.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Flipper, when he said "cantilever movement", I envisioned rocking or rotation of the base. Remember, this is a two implant retained,tissue supported, so some rotational movement is expected. Excessive rotation indications either a need for reline and / or re-orientaion of the attachment females in the denture base. Common problems with common solutions.
I seriously doubt implant failure- the clinician saw nothing amiss.

Thats exactly it Ken. Hes going in to get some plastic trimmed and smoothed aroung one of the abutments and a reline.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Thats exactly it Ken. Hes going in to get some plastic trimmed and smoothed aroung one of the abutments and a reline.

It's not my first time at that rodeo...