Help Wanted CONTRACT DESIGNERS

FrontHunter

FrontHunter

Reaction score
Who is using or hiring techs to design remotely and how are you finding them?

Do you have to buy them a computer and a dongle.?

I know of full contour. Does anyone have a recommendation for who i could talk to about how to go about finding good deaigners for overflow....I have seen some bad designs from other companies so I don't want to have to redo the designs they send me back.

This may be in the wrong section..if so I'm sorry. Maybe it's more of a business idea than a help wanted.

But I guess I do need help.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
:D

Last edited:
L

lucky54

Reaction score
we can test it send the data to me and say what I should do.

jmlspud

jmlspud

Reaction score
Are you looking for someone now or future help?

R1C2UOK

Reaction score
Who is using or hiring techs to design remotely and how are you finding them?

Do you have to buy them a computer and a dongle.?

I know of full contour. Does anyone have a recommendation for who i could talk to about how to go about finding good deaigners for overflow....I have seen some bad designs from other companies so I don't want to have to redo the designs they send me back.

This may be in the wrong section..if so I'm sorry. Maybe it's more of a business idea than a help wanted.

But I guess I do need help.
I do it for 8 a unit, if you are still interested contact Certified Dental Designs 734.778.0523

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Let's see...if someone can design 1 crown for $8/unit and it takes 5 minutes, then he or she can design 12 units in an hour. That comes out to $96 per hour. 8hrs. X 96 = $768 per day... not a bad way to earn a living if you can stand to look at a computer all day. Stoned

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Let's see...if someone can design 1 crown for $8/unit and it takes 5 minutes, then he or she can design 12 units in an hour. That comes out to $96 per hour. 8hrs. X 96 = $768 per day... not a bad way to earn a living if you can stand to look at a computer all day. Stoned
realistically youd never want to do that.

5 mins per unit is no guarantee of quality. anyone worthy of 96 units of work per day wouldn't do 96 units a day no matter how much you paid them. juggling the specific instructions for every case, like ensuring specific manufacturing instructions - metal lingual band, metal island, denture rests, attachment planning, veneers need to communicate photos, etc etc, is nice to say you can do it but in reality it will take 12 hours to do 12 units sometimes, due to improper scanning, failed unit manufacturing, or disagreements between designer and ceramist.

ceramists are a fickle bunch, and need to hold the hand of every designer until satisfactory production is acheived, and this can take months if the ceramist is wishywashy.

i can do a single in under 4 minutes if all the stars lign up, and theres a perfect margin, adequate clearance, no special instructions, and neighboring anatomy is easy to copy. otherwise 4 minutes is about how long it will take to decide which library will take the least modifications to get a result that would look natural, in accordance with the bite, the neighboring dentition, and the type of material being used.

8 dollars is what you pay if your lab is run by an accounting firm hoping to figure out how to make more profit by increasing volume. and theyd negotiate for 5 dollars instead, given the volume.

A

adl

Reaction score
realistically youd never want to do that.

5 mins per unit is no guarantee of quality. anyone worthy of 96 units of work per day wouldn't do 96 units a day no matter how much you paid them. juggling the specific instructions for every case, like ensuring specific manufacturing instructions - metal lingual band, metal island, denture rests, attachment planning, veneers need to communicate photos, etc etc, is nice to say you can do it but in reality it will take 12 hours to do 12 units sometimes, due to improper scanning, failed unit manufacturing, or disagreements between designer and ceramist.

ceramists are a fickle bunch, and need to hold the hand of every designer until satisfactory production is acheived, and this can take months if the ceramist is wishywashy.

i can do a single in under 4 minutes if all the stars lign up, and theres a perfect margin, adequate clearance, no special instructions, and neighboring anatomy is easy to copy. otherwise 4 minutes is about how long it will take to decide which library will take the least modifications to get a result that would look natural, in accordance with the bite, the neighboring dentition, and the type of material being used.

8 dollars is what you pay if your lab is run by an accounting firm hoping to figure out how to make more profit by increasing volume. and theyd negotiate for 5 dollars instead, given the volume.
Couldn't agree more

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Ok. Let's cut the production in half. 6 units/hr. =$48/ hr. X 8 = $384/day. That's good money and entirely possible. I wouldn't do it but there are plenty of "design only" businesses that are out there making a go of it.

Digital can be done anywhere and that includes overseas where wages like this would be huge.

There's a market out there for whatever you are searching for and are willing to pay.

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
Designing from home is something I'd love to do, if I could afford the adequate computer and software.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Ok. Let's cut the production in half. 6 units/hr. =$48/ hr. X 8 = $384/day. That's good money and entirely possible. I wouldn't do it but there are plenty of "design only" businesses that are out there making a go of it.

Digital can be done anywhere and that includes overseas where wages like this would be huge.

There's a market out there for whatever you are searching for and are willing to pay.
384/day is good money?...okay, what am i missing here? Any half way decent employee cost close to that, then add in your overhead, cost of scanner, licensing fees if you made the mistake of buying a 3Shape, the place you work, etc...I'm not sure I'm not following here.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
384/day is good money?...okay, what am i missing here? Any half way decent employee cost close to that, then add in your overhead, cost of scanner, licensing fees if you made the mistake of buying a 3Shape, the place you work, etc...I'm not sure I'm not following here.
for a design tech only? its ok i suppose. personally, i would charge more, but i wouldnt be designing 96 units per day. mine avg 8-10min for single posteriors. from case entry to finalization of design. plus another min or two to send a group of design files somewhere else (dropbox, etc). for me, i would prob be looking at a min of $10/unit fee. if i am strictly designing from files sent to me. the problem is the extras.....models, unpacking, packing back up, shipping if needed, etc.
but if its strictly getting files, reading Rx, designing crowns, and sending files back out....$10/unit seems fair. without having to scan, that would put my avg design time to 6min approx, giving me ~10 units/hr give or take some for anteriors, larger cases, more in depth instructions.... prob avg 6-8/hr. not too bad but short of a giant chop shop, i dont know many labs that can send over 50 units a day 5 days a week. so i highly doubt someone would be walking away with a giant chunk of cash daily.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if i were in that position i would command a per-case fee instead of per unit. i'm only going to do 10-20 cases (from all over the world) per day and i'd charge 30-50 dollars per case depending on complexity. this is a comfortable level of challenge and comfortable level of pay.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Depends, depends, deep ends!

You all know:
Single posteriors are easy if your library is decent.
Single anteriors a bit more difficult.
Pontics and connectors more so.
Multiple units with proper contacts even more.
Smile design or complex occlusion and you'd better be good or eat lunch somewhere the finishers and ceramists can't find you.

Also matters what file types you can import & export.

Charge accordingly. $400/day wouldn't even get the attention of many regulars here.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score

Well, it all depends on your situation. Being close to retirement, my thoughts were to sit at home with just a computer and pick up some spare money. Digital files only, no scanning. Maybe design cases for all those Cerec dentists who can't keep any trained personnel on staff. All I would need is the computer and software, no milling machines, or office rent. Wouldn't have to deal with Health Inspections or CE requirements since I wouldn't be considered a laboratory...just a "Designer Guy" kind of like you being "The Lab Guy". ;)

Just a thought for the digital age.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Having made the mistake of purchasing a 3 shape ,I would charge $10 a unit .
That would cover the license amount for the day and the rest would be gravy.
Pity the poor folk who can't afford that.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Having made the mistake of purchasing a 3 shape ,I would charge $10 a unit .
That would cover the license amount for the day and the rest would be gravy.
Pity the poor folk who can't afford that.

He's learning folks!!!