Computer?

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
I know it has been decided that windows 8 is not the best for 3shape but what about for scanning only(not designing)?
My current setup includes a design/scan computer, a scan only computer and a sum 3d computer. I need to free up some space
And would like to consolidate the cam and scan only computers. Will this work?
Thanks

D

Dominic

Reaction score
Windows 8 works fine with 3shape. We have not experienced any issues just because a customer is running Win 8. I would prefer Win 7 just because I find Win 8 rather annoying, but 3shape software runs perfectly well on Win 8.

You can run the ScanItRestoration and Sum3D on the same PC. Sum uses CPU power to calculate the milling path whereas the scanning software mostly uses the USB port and the GPU, so you won't have issues running both simultaneously.

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
That's great news.
Thanks!

D

Dominic

Reaction score
Hi again, I think I've got to clarify my first reply: Windows 8.0 works fine! Windows 8.1 might cause issues with the SQL database so make sure you get 8.0 if you want to go with Windows 8.

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
I don't really recommend running a scanner and a mill/CAM on one PC, it's putting all of your eggs in one basket. Also from a hardware stand point its an awful lot of data being run through one maybe two USB hubs. Computers are so fast and cheap now a days having two computers is super economical. Maybe if you had zero room it would make sense but even then you could run a KVM switch to run two computers from one monitor/keyboard/mouse.

I also like the idea of having SUM3D and 3Shape installed on both computers so if one goes down, unplug one of the dongles or licenses and your up and running again. True redundancy !

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
Thanks Sam, I think I will go with the KVM switch. Great idea!

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Ryan i really would try and seperate Scanner / Designer to two computers.

We have two D900's one running Win7 and one on Win8 - the Scanner on Win8 has never crashed....ever (this is only for scanning).

We design on Win7 computers only (mostly because if i have to deal with metro UI - i will throw the monitor out the window.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I was thinking of eliminating one system to run cam from for multiple mills but found it was a mistake. This is what my mega desk looks like now, one design station 2 cam computers for 3 mills.

97741225-515F-470B-9858-7883526C91B4_zpsfwky2xtk.jpg

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
The mini runs on a separate CAM from the select?

If you never make a decision then your possibilities are endless.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
I was thinking of eliminating one system to run cam from for multiple mills but found it was a mistake. This is what my mega desk looks like now, one design station 2 cam computers for 3 mills.

97741225-515F-470B-9858-7883526C91B4_zpsfwky2xtk.jpg

Sweet set-up John. Very Clean looking.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Thanks Troy you know how much of a bitch it is to keep things orderly with employees.

It is just crazy to look at it and see how much money has been spent on technology. Then I try and think how I could do all I do today without it.

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
Thanks again Sam, the KVM switch worked out perfectly.

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
I've been using "Mouse without Boarders" and I'm pretty amazed how well it works and it's free. The mouse seamlessly moves from my CAD screen to the CAM screen and to the mill PC, and which ever screen the cursor is on the the keyboard for the home computer works on it too. The only hang up I've found so far is the home PC needs to be my cad PC for the mouse not to be over sensitive in exocad.