Cold cure techniques for relines, RPDs, and night guards

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
TheLabGuy was kind enough to host the file again for me so it should be available in a couple days.
Thank you again Rob for your help in this.....:Hello:
Denturist, again, thank you. We can never have too many methods available to choose from as situations dictate.

@TheLabGuy this is really swell of you. And thanks for looking before to see i you had it then.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
It may not be ideal, but it's very effective. I can't remember the last ideal thing I did, if ever. Close as possible. Always chasing perfection. . .

With the md,dds,ddos,tps licensed guy being the impedimental deadweight I'm dragging often as not.
I was there, in the operatory, when one such character said to the pt. "Sh1t happens" when decribing the totally preventable.

I really am glad for you, no sarcasm, that you can have the ability to have such great impresions that the expansion difference matters. But I have doubts that will ever be a concern for most dentists or labs. I offer heat cure and cold cure relines. Guess how many heat cure relines have happened. We're a team only when a dds goofs.

I need an cookie or an apple.(Mythbusters;))
Well I do understand that in a pinch a cold cured reline can work....And you are right when you say the impression is an important part of the reline. I have done a lot of direct relines usually using something like a Tokoyama hard reline material....I just opened up a new clinic and likely will do some cold cured relines in a hurry. But for now will tray and stick with the rebased type of reline to replace the whole denture base....especially if the occlusion is still intact....Similar to what Kraver described in another posting. But for someone in a hurry yes perhaps a cc reline might work out well...They are advertised a lot up here....My experience with cold cured things is that people can often have an after taste that lasts quite a while with cold cured acrylic. I am certain it is because of the monomer powder ratio used... Maybe there are better acrylics than I am using. I am using Ivoclars Probase cold for now...I am also migrating away from the quickly cured heat cured...1 hour boiled...using the Diamond D acrylics to the slow cured processes at 165 degrees for eight hours mainly because a few cases I have done have turned out requiring another reline...again perhaps my technique is at fault here....Microwaved cases are the same for me....I may be doing something wrong....But there appears to be too much shrinkage in the buccal flange regions which prevents full seating at insert.....not on every case but enough to try something different....but I guess like everyone else we use the process for us that works out the best....I am still using a pvs material for reline and final impressions after hollowing out the denture intaglio by the recommended 2 mm. That is required for proper flow of material....

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Well I do understand that in a pinch a cold cured reline can work....And you are right when you say the impression is an important part of the reline. I have done a lot of direct relines usually using something like a Tokoyama hard reline material....I just opened up a new clinic and likely will do some cold cured relines in a hurry. But for now will tray and stick with the rebased type of reline to replace the whole denture base....especially if the occlusion is still intact....Similar to what Kraver described in another posting. But for someone in a hurry yes perhaps a cc reline might work out well...They are advertised a lot up here....My experience with cold cured things is that people can often have an after taste that lasts quite a while with cold cured acrylic. I am certain it is because of the monomer powder ratio used... Maybe there are better acrylics than I am using. I am using Ivoclars Probase cold for now...I am also migrating away from the quickly cured heat cured...1 hour boiled...using the Diamond D acrylics to the slow cured processes at 165 degrees for eight hours mainly because a few cases I have done have turned out requiring another reline...again perhaps my technique is at fault here....Microwaved cases are the same for me....I may be doing something wrong....But there appears to be too much shrinkage in the buccal flange regions which prevents full seating at insert.....not on every case but enough to try something different....but I guess like everyone else we use the process for us that works out the best....I am still using a pvs material for reline and final impressions after hollowing out the denture intaglio by the recommended 2 mm. That is required for proper flow of material....
Haven't seen any problems of too much shrink, flanges or otherwise. Possibly because of the impressions :) It's not uncommon to get imp material shot in without grinding first or adhesive either... When asked, I'll opine, guide, educate, inform and offer all possible support; when not, unless I think it may be dangerously detrimental, or fail rapidly, I hush.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
How long have you been out of school and practicing? Just curious.
Four years up to now exclusively mobile from a home lab but recently now have a clinic. Not nearly the experiences you folks have but still learning and enjoying it very much.

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
Four years up to now exclusively mobile from a home lab but recently now have a clinic. Not nearly the experiences you folks have but still learning and enjoying it very much.
The real schooling has just begun.........LOL

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
The real schooling has just begun.........LOL
I am a late bloomer here
I received my dental lab diploma in 1974 back when the Gysi Simplex articulators were in style....and the Swissedent teeth were fairly common....Did my denturist training and graduated with honours in 2013. Saw this place and hey the colors matched my existing business cards so decided to take the plunge. Now at 64 and a half, I am looking at a ten year lease...and you are quite right...the schooling never stops. Always willing to try something new....One thing about doing nursing homes and hospitals for startup....always interesting and challenging...some say that a denture clinic is a slow startup...is that your experience too?

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
When I started I took over an existing office that had been slowly fading away. Even then my first year was comfortably in the black.
I have since sold that office and relocated to my hometown and opened a small office to keep me out of mischief.
I do not envy you doing nursing homes and such.... That's a tough gig.
I went back to school in 99 been doing this since. I will be 64 this summer.
I worked for Dept. F&G in Alaska before this. I injured my back while in the field and AK. F&G fixed me up then put me in a new position ...Inside.... no more field work due to the liability of re-injury.
So I decided to go back to school and here I are.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
When I started I took over an existing office that had been slowly fading away. Even then my first year was comfortably in the black.
I have since sold that office and relocated to my hometown and opened a small office to keep me out of mischief.
I do not envy you doing nursing homes and such.... That's a tough gig.
I went back to school in 99 been doing this since. I will be 64 this summer.
I worked for Dept. F&G in Alaska before this. I injured my back while in the field and AK. F&G fixed me up then put me in a new position ...Inside.... no more field work due to the liability of re-injury.
So I decided to go back to school and here I are.
I took early retirement and did this...Worked for Gvt doing Air traffic control system maintenance for better of 25 years...I was almost buying a clinic up here but man decided to sell to another...And not being able to find real work decided to do the mobile business and have done that for four years now....It really is not glamorous...But most denture clinics started up here are still in business....so here I am...It is a bit of a slow start but have had several clients already after two weeks....There are bound to be more out there somewhere. Doing nursing homes taught me that not everyone that comes through the door needs a new set of teeth....I had to expand my relines to include direct relines for pallative care patients....So I learned some good lessons there...and some hard lessons....Anyways always good to chat with a fellow denturist....Take care and keep well and have a good Easter....

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Denturist, again, thank you. We can never have too many methods available to choose from as situations dictate.

@TheLabGuy this is really swell of you. And thanks for looking before to see i you had it then.
No problem

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
CLICK HERE to see/download Mr. Fosters HALF FLASK PROCESSING

images

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
That is an old Buffalo flask. any will do though once you have the bottom plaster in , make sure the knock out is also out, kinda stands to reason but ya never know about some folks.....;)....
And just make sure it is set before you open things up.

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
Something you trying to tell us mpt? Care to elaborate?

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I tried this with a partial reline, worked great. Thanks!

Top Bottom