CDT cards

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
its a deap issue no doubt! then you bring the foreign market into it and then you really have a topic of discussion.... if dentists care more about price than they do about quality what does that say to everyone striving to become better, or on the fence about becoming a CDT. I have some very real experience in the lab industry as a lab owner and I can say there are tons of techs that don't hold a cdt that are world class technicians some were cdt's most never were. I think the attitude of the existing CDT's is a little dissheartening myself, I mean many of you come off like self rightious bullies if I'm being honest.... there is almost a pack mentality! there is a more effective way to help people see the benefits rather than cramming it down their throats with a side of insults to go along with it. Try mentoring and encouraging, the old somewhat cliche adage goes "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" well there is truth to that.
I know for a fact if you asked the people who's opinions matter as far as technicians go (dentists prosthodontists even patients) if they would consider us unskilled labor they would strongly dissagree. They depend on us as technical resources and they see the talent and artistic ability. I don't like the fact that they labeled us as unskilled as much as the next guy... my question is what did the NBC do to stop it? that's a real question because I really am out of the loop... that and I try not to dwell on the negative....BTW WTF happend to the spell check!! lol

I hope I'm not coming across like I'm trying to cram it down folks throat?...I just don't compare it to burger flipping and think if I was a new tech out there (like many of you were at one time) it's a goal worth achieving, rather than down playing it as a waste of time is all.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more Rob.

In fact I find it a tad hypocritical to complain that the dentists don't care or have no idea what we do,and then in the same breath disregard any accreditation as unimportant.

I agree with MJ when he states that more CDTs would give you guys a stronger voice in shaping your future.

It's obvious to me that your status quo is not working .

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
I hope I'm not coming across like I'm trying to cram it down folks throat?...I just don't compare it to burger flipping and think if I was a new tech out there (like many of you were at one time) it's a goal worth achieving, rather than down playing it as a waste of time is all.
You're all good Rob it's many others btw we were all new techs at one time (-: I think the key is to plant the seed in of possibility then encourage...much better than "you guys are a bunch of talentless no good bastards that are ruining the industry" as many have come off. Don't paint us all with the same brush what can the the nbc do to make it more convenient and affordable for young techs to take the exam. I mean that alone was a huge reason it took me so long to get on board. If it's not convenient and cost effective combined with the reality that you don't need it...you get my point. Some of you might not like the point I am making but is what you should be doing is asking yourself ,why aren't more techs interested? And what can we do to get them interested? How can we make it easier? I've already came up with a couple of possibilities.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more Rob.

In fact I find it a tad hypocritical to complain that the dentists don't care or have no idea what we do,and then in the same breath disregard any accreditation as unimportant.

I agree with MJ when he states that more CDTs would give you guys a stronger voice in shaping your future.

It's obvious to me that your status quo is not working .

Actually it took two breaths, but to address you calling me a hypocrite. I think even if you asked most dentists they wouldn't even classify a Chinese lab tech in china as unskilled we as technicians are the majority that would consider them unskilled...so actually not that hypocritical when you think about it. Hey I'm getting the cdt so lay off lol (-:

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I wasn't thinking of you personally but when I hear of labs closing everyday in the US while we are flourishing here with the population of california,it makes me wonder why you guys can't see the forest for the trees!

I wish you success in your accreditation exam.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
" This your captain speaking"
" We will be flying at an altitude of thirty five thousand feet"
" ...oh and by the way,
The mechanics that worked on this aircraft are not licensed but don't worry.
They are really skilled and what's the big deal about a piece of paper anyway?"

Thank you for flying with us.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
thanks. I'm
I wasn't thinking of you personally but when I hear of labs closing everyday in the US while we are flourishing here with the population of california,it makes me wonder why you guys can't see the forest for the trees!

I wish you success in your accreditation exam.

well I think comparing Canada to the US is a little bit swayed. I think there is more to play than acredation, you guys have a great economy, tons of jobs, and you don't pay for healthcare that is what will make labs flourish I mean hell when we had a great economy 10 years ago our labs flourished even the terrible ones lol... Canada is really a great county in my opinion, I love to visit it and I love the people (at least in Alberta and suskatchewan as thats the only places I've been).` My assumptions of great economy is based on my interaction with some very close friends of mine in Alberta, not sure if its the same in Otowa. I'd move to Canada if they'd have me but they don't let any old fool take up residence in their country (-:

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We've had this since 1990.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Well If I lived somewhere else, and I have, it would be difficult to obtain and maintain CDT status. Who wants to fly to other cities and book hotel rooms on their own dime to go take some $200 course. The course may be cheap, but the hotel and flight bookings aren't. But now I am in NYC. And it looks to me that there are CE classes twice a year here. So I can maintain without going the extra sky mile. So I just have to fill out the App and mail it in before Nov 1st and I can go take test number 1 at the GNYDM on Dec 1st. Then take the other two classes in April... Bam, CDT.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
Well If I lived somewhere else, and I have, it would be difficult to obtain and maintain CDT status. Who wants to fly to other cities and book hotel rooms on their own dime to go take some $200 course. The course may be cheap, but the hotel and flight bookings aren't. But now I am in NYC. And it looks to me that there are CE classes twice a year here. So I can maintain without going the extra sky mile. So I just have to fill out the App and mail it in before Nov 1st and I can go take test number 1 at the GNYDM on Dec 1st. Then take the other two classes in April... Bam, CDT.

Exactly right! I live in a rural part of the country so for a guy like me I have to do everything you mentioned. The written tests alone are I think about 475 plus time away from the lab, for a small lab can be very counterproductive. I'm not saying it can't be done I'm just saying why not make it easier for folks. I took the written 60 miles away I'm sure a facility in the same city would host the practical portion instead I have to travel to LA which is a place I already try to avoid lol. The old saying applies, if it were easy everyone would do it....well make it easy for crying out loud!

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Exactly right! I live in a rural part of the country so for a guy like me I have to do everything you mentioned. The written tests alone are I think about 475 plus time away from the lab, for a small lab can be very counterproductive. I'm not saying it can't be done I'm just saying why not make it easier for folks. I took the written 60 miles away I'm sure a facility in the same city would host the practical portion instead I have to travel to LA which is a place I already try to avoid lol. The old saying applies, if it were easy everyone would do it....well make it easy for crying out loud!
to be honest, I don't even remember where I sat for the comprehensive,
but for the practical and specialty, I had to shlep from DC to a Naval base in Virginia Beach (and carting a ****load of equipment is sooooooo rewarding).....
so yeah, easier access would help.
Has the CDT answered all my pie in the sky hopes and dreams?
Not really.
But this last time I relocated I had employment in 3 weeks, in a decent place at a decent going wage with healthcare premiums paid by the company.
That's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
to be honest, I don't even remember where I sat for the comprehensive,
but for the practical and specialty, I had to shlep from DC to a Naval base in Virginia Beach (and carting a ****load of equipment is sooooooo rewarding).....
so yeah, easier access would help.
Has the CDT answered all my pie in the sky hopes and dreams?
Not really.
But this last time I relocated I had employment in 3 weeks, in a decent place at a decent going wage with healthcare premiums paid by the company.
That's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

glad to hear you got a good job I was hoping you were doing well.
that is a huge incentive for people to get the acredation! I know it's been brought up before but you have real experience to prove it.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Perhaps you and others could try to convince me and other techs that think like I do of the benefits of being a cdt, other than it makes you feel good about yourself. Ken already mentioned how it allows him to gain access to prosthodontic societies. Be specific about the pros and cons.
I'm not dead set against the idea of becoming a cdt I'm just not convinced of its benefits. convince me, as I may be somewhat ignorant about the benefits.
I was against getting a CDT until I went to a tom wade over denture course. He told me like this, My CDT has never gotten me a lick of business, but if you have any interest in teaching, lecturing, or anything outside of benchwork it is necessary to have. There is no way i would be standing here without it. Id like to have the option to be a big time trainer one day. It just opens up more higher opportunities which is surprising considering no one cares about it or holds monetary value on it.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
glad to hear you got a good job I was hoping you were doing well.
that is a huge incentive for people to get the acredation! I know it's been brought up before but you have real experience to prove it.
It is a foot in the door beyond the experienced tech. I don't know what to say some people are on board, some aren't. For a normal technician who wants to be employed, and do the work. A CDT may not be the best option. It is expensive to get and to maintain.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I wonder how many labs have closed since this thread was active?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I wonder how many labs have closed since this thread was active?
How about lab schools? I am looking for information on the written specialty for complete dentures. Stumbled through the cobwebs forgot it wasn't an active thread.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It's active now .
it-s-alive-o.gif