• Welcome to Dental Lab Network
    1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Casting ERA attachment

Discussion in 'Metal' started by sndmn2, Aug 23, 2016.

1. sndmn2

sndmn2 Active Member Full Member

I'm only good for 1 out of 3. It looks to me like investment breakdown but not sure.I used my normal investment,set time and burnout procedure. Fast burnout, in 1200 degree oven.An hour at high temp. Thoughts? Should I go slow burnout? 20160823_152427.jpg 20160823_152440.jpg Thanks

2. 2thm8kr
      Devilish

2thm8kr Beanosavedmysociallife Full Member

What alloy are you casting. When I cast era attachments, always burned out at 1525f for 1 hour heat soak and if casting noble metal turned the furnace down to 1125f.

3. lifelikedental

lifelikedental Member Full Member

plastic and resin burns out differently than wax. If you change to stage cycle burnout ur problem will go away

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. CatamountRob
      Dead

CatamountRob Banned Member Full Member

Anything with plastic in it, I do a slow, 2 stage burnout.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. sndmn2

Thanks for the suggestions. Does this sound good? cold oven insert, 10 degress a min. 600 degree 30 min hold.. 50 degrees to 1550 then hold 1 hour ? I'm using Evolution Lite . 40% gold.3 turns on a Degussa manual casting machine

6. CatamountRob
      Dead

CatamountRob Banned Member Full Member

I heat to 1400 when I cast Evolution Lite, although I don't remember why.

7. CreDes
      No Mood

CreDes Active Member Donator Full Member

Yeah, slow is the way to go. I wasted one a few weeks ago and Sterngold said no fast burnout.

8. JohnWilson

JohnWilson Moderator Staff Member Full Member

Run up slow to 600 hold an hour than up fast to high temp and your fine. Remember your ratio, You do not want any expansion to the investment.

9. nvarras
      Goofy

nvarras Active Member Full Member

@JohnWilson is right. The first stage is the critical one. Start with a cold oven, go to 600 and hold for an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. sndmn2

3rd time was a charm. Funny , I have never had a problem casting other pieces plastics. First one of these I did workrd just fine. Go figure. Thanks for the help.

11. nvarras
      Goofy

nvarras Active Member Full Member

It's the center of the era. Because it's so small the expansion cracks the investment very easily and it falls into the center of the attachment like you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy Just a Member Full Member

I know this is a side-track to your original post...but why a high noble metal? I've found folks that need any attachments usually aren't the easiest patients on there teeth. Therefore, (and yes I've had this happen a couple times), they've broke the post or ground the attachment...hence why I'm suggesting using a base metal on these type of cast-to attachments....thoughts? agree, disagree?

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Car 54
      No Mood

Car 54 Well-Known Member Donator Full Member

Maybe another side-track, but could be a useful trick for those of you who can get a little spaced out at times like I do, or who use 2 different investments and liquids.
      That is, to use a drop or two of food coloring in your main bottle of investment liquid. This helps to remind you of what you just measured out compared to water and liquid in the measuring dealie. I also color Ceravety liquid red, and Microstar blue, to be a reminder of the corresponding liquids. I'm sure one liquid could be used for the other, but might as well use the liquid the manufacturer recommends for their product.

14. sndmn2

Understandable,,,This particular Dr. wants 40%. The patient is stage 3 with a very short life expectancy. I kinda feel a little guilty to even charge for it.

• Like Like x 1