Captek cases

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Slightly off topic but i must get me some of those calipers, theyve always looked much more accurate than the ones im using now. With everyone wanting thinnner and thinner veneers i need the accuracy.
well worth the money.
That one is 15 yrs old. Can safely take frames to even .1 on the very tips of anteriors if necessary and if a person is brave enough. Foil thickness.

I have 3, one at my wax up bench, metal finishing and one at porc finishing for all ceramic.

It's funny with three in a small space, you'd think I could find them when I need them.:confused:

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Heres the frames.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp8.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp2.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp3.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp4.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp5.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp6.jpg

Very intresting.

The metal dosent oxidize. So the color dosent change on the underside or surface to be layered.

Here is the first coat of opaque.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp9.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp10.jpg

2nd opaque

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp9a.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp11.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp8.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp2.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp3.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp4.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp5.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp6.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp9.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp10.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp9a.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp11.jpg

A

AaronR

Reaction score
Al, you bring up a great topic!! Due to the fabrication techniques, high purity of precious alloys, and the metallurgical science behind Captek, Captek frames will never oxidize / corrode. With that comes many benefits! perfect warm gold / yellow background for porcelain ceramics, less opaque about .05mm total opaque thickness (about half needed for Captek vs traditional PFM) giving more room for added porcelain, increased esthetics due to the micro-mechanical bonding agent (refracts and reflects light) as well as the inner and outer gold color, as well as unsurpassed biocompatibility; an inhibition of formation of plaque and bacteria resulting in atleast 71% fewer bacteria vs a natural tooth.

Great to see these frames and can't wait to see the following images as you start to layer your porcelain!!

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Aaron, If the metal dosen't oxidize, what creates the bond with the porcelain? Or does it oxidize on the outside but not on the inside?

A

AaronR

Reaction score
Catamount Rob, great question. As you aware, with traditional PFM there is a chemical oxide bond. Whereas with Captek, since it does not oxidize, we have what we call a micro-mechanical bond, UCP bonder (Universal Coupler to Porcelain). The UCP bonder is microscopic, irregular fingerlike structures that extend from the outer surface of the
Captek coping, providing a strong, predictable interlocking (mechanical) bond between the opaque, porcelain and Captek. The surface of the bonder also reflects light and mimics the color of live dentin. The result is a strong, highly esthetic, natural-looking, perio friendly crown.

According to research from the University of Boston, Captek is highly resistant to fracture and can withstand forces in excess of what the oral environment can develop.
Load Bearing Capacity for crowns and bridges is proven to be at least equal to or greater than all categories of traditional cast alloys. Porcelain bond to Captek metal is extremely strong. Shear bond strength exceeds that of traditional alloys.

Also, as you can see in Al's photos, we have a material called Porcelain Support material where we can build up marginal ridges / occlusals, cusps in group function, incisal edges on anteriors, etc to properly protect and support the porcelain where needed.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"The surface of the bonder also reflects light and mimics the color of live dentin."

Sounds like a bit of marketing mumbo jumbo there. Please correct me if im wrong.

So the UCP bonder is something you paint on which has the fluorescence in?

Or the UCP bond is an inherent property of the surface (intaglio surface)?, in which case it does not mimic the colour of dentine at all as there is no fluorescence, as in any other metal.

Last edited:
Shaun Keating

Shaun Keating

Reaction score
Aaron I got some good pics of these frames but they are sooo sweet I wanted to put them in some sexy poses while they are still necked, as we say in the south. Naked to you yankees.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp1.jpg

That is a sexy picture....and only a dental technician would say that. Great to see you playing with Captek Al....they really do make some beautiful restorations. And in the oral environment with it's bacterio static reaction....there is probably nothing healthier you can put in the mouth:)
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp1.jpg

A

AaronR

Reaction score
Captek was formulated to impart a natural hue to porcelain veneered crowns and bridges. The inventors, Dr. Itzhak Shoher and his ceramist, Aaron Whiteman, experimented with Ag (silver) content until a color spectrometer reading was reached that would mimic live dentin (2.7 % Ag was added to Captek "G" material). as we know porcelain ceramics are translucent and light passes through the porcelain and "bounces" back and the irregular surface of the bonding layer scatters the reflected light and aids in eliminating “high shine” areas.

As a result, Captek is capable of providing excellent warm natural shades, but can also be used to deliver the whitest of bleach shades with a vital and vibrant esthetic appearance without an opacious dull look.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Hey CaptekAaron, talk to me about this "bacteriostatic" action. Can you point me to that research/publication. The idea of a restoration that is antiplaque instead of plaque promoting seems so surprising that it's like "why didn't I think of that!?" Then again, we have fluoride release in glass ionomer, hormone release in birth control rings and drug eluting arterial stents etc etc etc, so the idea should be rather...expected.

Also, it's "Boston Universty" not "University of Boston" :D Sorry to split hairs, but it's where I'm in school.

-Patrick

A

AaronR

Reaction score
Patrick, being born and raised and still living in New Hampshire and a graduate of a small college outside of Boston (Merrimack College, GO WARRIORS!) i should have known it is Boston University, hahaha. I thought something sounded strange after proof reading my post :)

As we all know, good fitting crowns with good healthy shapes / forms are crucially important. Yet, Captek goes beyond this point. Number one, as i stated above, there are no oxides developed in the Captek system. This is a fact. Corrosion is measured in the ion release of a material. The ion release for Captek is 0. No other viable metal available on the market today is corrosion free. Going a step further, Captek is clinically proven to significantly reduce harmful bacteria surrounding restored teeth over time. We attribute this behavior to the high purity of the elements, the high nobility of the elements (Au, Pt, Pd, Ag),and the unique metal structure of Captek Nano restorations. There is a measurable surface energy on the Captek material that is attributed to the high potential for plaque and bacteria resistance. Standard casting metals are a great standard to measure against, yet, published research specifically states that Captek is significantly better in this category. This research was completed by Forsyth Dental Center Boston, and also the University of Minnesota as well.

please feel free to email me ([email protected]) and i will be happy to pass along the research reports to you. they are more descriptive in detail and will share much more information than i can write in this post :)

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Here they are with some clothes on. Couldnt decide which pics I liked the most so heres a few.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp15.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp16.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp17.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp19.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp20.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp21.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp22.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp15.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp16.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp17.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp19.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp20.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp21.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp22.jpg

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Al, that just ugly. You need to take some classes.:D

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Absolutely Gorgeous!

It's a shame to have to put them in someone's mouth.

So Al, do you think you could produce that in a commercial lab setting or do you think your home working enviroment has an influence on your results?

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Al,

If my lab could do that I could set the world on fire with one box of matches.

I've proposed the need to retrain about 20 of our ceramists to a much better quality level. If we could just get within waving distance of what you do we would have the sort of lab that would be more than a match for most labs on the planet.

I do learn a lot on this site because we have so many talented people here that don't hide how to do it so they can fill their next class. Nothing wrong with that and you may need to look at doing just that.

Thanks Al.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I dont know how much time it takes or how much it costs to make the copings.

I think Argen is starting to market to Drs again, so dont be suprised if the demand increases.

I think they are working on ways to do some digital stuff with it ?

The way digital dentistry is growing and the fears alot of small labs have it is a product some will use to create a niche for themselves in the middle of FCZ and Emax and what ever else is coming.

A

AaronR

Reaction score
Patmo141, i emailed you some our research reports that i believe you will find to be very informative and helpful in describing Captek's attributes. if you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out to me :)

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Hey Al make sure you TM those photos, they are soon to be used by LOTS of individuals. :) Watermarking some of these photos would be a bad idea either

Thats another source of income I am proposing for ya, I am sure Argen would pay handsomely to use those photos in their advertising.

Beautiful work as always :) Do you need an agent? LOL

A

AaronR

Reaction score
Captek case done by Dr. Rodrigo Escalante in Acapulco, Mexico. Captek over implant crown. First image is at seating (Oct 2002) and second image is 9 year recall (Aug 2011). amazing tissue response :)
Rodrigo.jpg Rodrigo 9yr recall.jpg

Shaun Keating

Shaun Keating

Reaction score
Here they are with some clothes on. Couldnt decide which pics I liked the most so heres a few.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp15.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp16.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp17.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp19.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp20.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp21.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp22.jpg

Frikkin eh Al....I gotta woody with the clothes off....and it's still there with them on....great job as always my man:D
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp15.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp16.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp17.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp19.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp20.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp21.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_cp22.jpg

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
You could give me a month solid on one crown and I couldn't get it like that. Awesome!! I like it when they show just a little skin;) leaves more up to the imagination.