can you mill surgical guides with 5 axis mill?

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
All the main players, 3Shape, exocad and Dental Wings have Implant planning software nearly ready to go. I have seen them all and they all have their pros and cons, but generally all are very good. Obviously they all can see the big picture!
I am messing with the Dental Wings software just as we speak and its neat, possibly a tad complex though..maybe overly so..but all software can tend to be at first to the unfamiliar.
Overall, what is good is that if more people use software for their planning and consider all the factors before placing the implant the outcome will in most cases be just so much better.
If you consider the final restoration, bony structures , vascular and nervous system and soft tissue when planning and placing the implants its just great and does not feel like you are in the dark.
Blue Sky Plan is a great cost effective solution, however it does require an extra program called VR Mesh to help make the guides. Unfortunately after using VR Mesh for 3 months I found it unreliable and a bit of a waste of time, maybe it is improved now... I must tae another look. We eventually went down a different road and we use a 3D printing technique so there is however more than one way to skin a guide.

Guide Mia is also a good program and creates really good guides, but is very expensive, so the user base is small.

I have used the Roland DWX 50 with great success to mill surgery guides, it's a fabulous machine when used in the correct context. Sure it cannot mill some horizontal areas for guide pins/screws, but with a bit of clever thought , you can add these easily. after milling.

Encourage all your customers to use guides, they will be glad they did..and you will too!

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
Th
I'm pretty sure software would be the only limitation. They maybe saying it can't mill surgical guides because they would not be able to provide any support if you needed any. Could be wrong....

I recently purchased some great clear PMMA pucks from TD Dental Supply...best price/product I could find!

Thanks Jordan for the great feed back. Let me know when you need more products.
Just a reminder we do carry crystal clear pucks in 98x10,12,15,18,20,25mm. Any size $20!

EGE

EGE

Reaction score
"Some Surgical guides have set-screws that pretty-much come in from horizontal-plane."
this is a problem for milling. You can tackle this using a specific part holder, as PRIMUS does it with his HAAS. I wonder how to do this on a DWX-50...well only if you use a....May be Bob could explain how.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Eric, Can you send me a Quote for CAM for my stupid KaVo.

I need the Laser working to measure tools.

My current solution is slow, as I told you on phone a while ago.

Scott from Dominion

IVY

IVY

Reaction score

I need the Laser working to measure tools.

My current solution is slow, as I told you on phone a while ago.

Scott from Dominion
Scott,
I got Go2cam for the kavo. Amazing, laser works and the fits are perfect....calculation times are fast if you have the right set up....nvidia quadro video card etc...64bit..etc, you know all that already. $13500 US, contact [email protected], Milo is his name, he is a distributor. Once you have the Go2cam you can run other machines for like $1000 each or something like that. No license fees at all! About 15-18 minutes per full contour to mill!
IV

EGE

EGE

Reaction score
the kaVo is not stupid. the CAM software that they deliver is. contact Miro: [email protected]
he has the knowledge to get you started and support. You can use kavo wax system with their yokes or 98mm discs. Produce Crowns, hybrid abutments and much more...why not surg guides...

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
These were done on my Roland..take a while but great result.

Attachments

• GUIDES_TRULINE_ROLAND.jpg
    GUIDES_TRULINE_ROLAND.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 86
stumpf

stumpf

Reaction score
Perfect result! Telling The truth i have sum3d Cam and The Roland DWX50 milling unit ,but i can't produce this:(Maybe somebody can give me advice and some help how to make this...

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
All the main players, 3Shape, exocad and Dental Wings have Implant planning software nearly ready to go. I have seen them all and they all have their pros and cons, but generally all are very good. Obviously they all can see the big picture!
I am messing with the Dental Wings software just as we speak and its neat, possibly a tad complex though..maybe overly so..but all software can tend to be at first to the unfamiliar.
Overall, what is good is that if more people use software for their planning and consider all the factors before placing the implant the outcome will in most cases be just so much better.
If you consider the final restoration, bony structures , vascular and nervous system and soft tissue when planning and placing the implants its just great and does not feel like you are in the dark.
Blue Sky Plan is a great cost effective solution, however it does require an extra program called VR Mesh to help make the guides. Unfortunately after using VR Mesh for 3 months I found it unreliable and a bit of a waste of time, maybe it is improved now... I must tae another look. We eventually went down a different road and we use a 3D printing technique so there is however more than one way to skin a guide.

Guide Mia is also a good program and creates really good guides, but is very expensive, so the user base is small.

I have used the Roland DWX 50 with great success to mill surgery guides, it's a fabulous machine when used in the correct context. Sure it cannot mill some horizontal areas for guide pins/screws, but with a bit of clever thought , you can add these easily. after milling.

Encourage all your customers to use guides, they will be glad they did..and you will too!

It is great to know that Exocad and 3 Shape are going to have theirs. Do you know if the Exocad version will be released with every exocad system or limited to ZirkonZahn, etc.? I am wanting the gingiva creation and denture module, but they are only with certain systems so far. Will those be released for every Exocad system?
3 Shape says they are waiting for FDA approval for theirs to be released in the US. This can take a while sometimes. Thanks.
Wes Baker, CDT

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Hi Wes,
I saw the base unit of exocad ( explan I think its called ) at IDS... when it is to be released is anyones guess.
Probably and FDA issue as well. I would assume all the partners will have it too.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Perfect result! Telling The truth i have sum3d Cam and The Roland DWX50 milling unit ,but i can't produce this:(Maybe somebody can give me advice and some help how to make this...
I didn't do anything special, just loaded a puck and away it went.
Can you let me know what version of strategy you have?

stumpf

stumpf

Reaction score
I updated to my Sum3d to the latest.please send me the milling strategy what you are using for milling. My email address is : [email protected] thank you very much

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Bob, what 3shape module do you need to have to mill guides on the Roland?
Thanks
There is a new implant module from 3Shape we have seen it and worked with it for testing only. Looks very good, simple to use. All the tools for designing a guide are the same as we use for designing a crown. So, the learning curve for design should be no big deal.
3Shape has launched the module in Europe and is currently working on FDA. I'm not 100% sure but I would guess it's just a 510k approval, so it should not take too long.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
some people say that 5 axis mill and "BlueSkyPlan" will work .currently looking to buy a system any ideas about 'BlueSkyPlan" will help Thank oyu.
Blue Sky Bio planning software is free. Just got the website and download it.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
"Some Surgical guides have set-screws that pretty-much come in from horizontal-plane."
this is a problem for milling. You can tackle this using a specific part holder, as PRIMUS does it with his HAAS. I wonder how to do this on a DWX-50...well only if you use a....May be Bob could explain how.
You will not be able to drill the horizontal holes on a Roland unless you have an alternate fixture.
I'm thinking printing is probably the most effective or efficient means of production. Anyone printing surgical guides? If so, what printer are you using?

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
We mill them in a nano ceramic composite and they become the base for the transitional appliance. We own the patent on that technology. A week from Monday I will be in LA and watch the mill do it then go to a surgery to see it placed. I've not been to LA in years and am looking forward to it. I'm really looking forward to my next adventure in the lab industry.

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
Here is 550i and drill guide

e844b2f006d8.jpg

Top Bottom