can you mill surgical guides with 5 axis mill?

C

camelleom

Reaction score
Well,
the reason i ask this is because we would like to purchase a system and we have a very good deal with this company:

Dental PLUS - CAD/CAM SYSTEM

Plus Mill S5 - zirconia 5 axis milling - YouTube

They say the mill can do metal,zirconia, wax, pmma, pro fix acrylic,...they sad it cannot mill surgcal guides....wtf? This is just software related ? Tools?

For the scanner we want to purchase a Identica SE Medit , as the new Identica Blue will be out in a couple of months.
Software for the mill Hyperdent and maybe for the designs Exocad.

i think i am a bit confused...:))

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
The mill is just a tool...will do whatever the program (G-code) tells it to do, within its capabilities of course. If it has enough freedom of movement along its rotational axis's, it shouldn't be an issue to cut surgical guides IMO. Maybe is the software what doesn't support guides ?

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
How are you going to get support for this mill? Do not underestimate the need for support.
Most 5 axis dental mill can mill surgical guides. We have a crystal clear puck for this purpose.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Fair point Bob. Even linking 3 different systems CAD/CAM/Mill is not as straight forward as some people think.
As for the guides it is definitely possible. I'm not sure Hyperdent is required on a small mill like this. Have you looked at Sum3D? Hyperdent is quite intensive and probably more targeted at the bigger mills.

Last edited:
stumpf

stumpf

Reaction score
How are you going to get support for this mill? Do not underestimate the need for support.
Most 5 axis dental mill can mill surgical guides. We have a crystal clear puck for this purpose.

Bob! Can you mill them with Roland Dwx50?

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Im not Bob but yes you can.

cdlab

cdlab

Sponsors
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure software would be the only limitation. They maybe saying it can't mill surgical guides because they would not be able to provide any support if you needed any. Could be wrong....

I recently purchased some great clear PMMA pucks from TD Dental Supply...best price/product I could find!

EGE

EGE

Reaction score
The machine can mill metal, so it is a robust mill. Concerning the 5 axis and part holder, it is ok, nothing more and nothing less from the german machines that you commonly see on the market. For surgical guides, as zero_zero said: "...will do whatever the program (G-code) tells it to do, within its capabilities of course". Surgical guides sometimes have holes that are quite horizontal (in opposition to implant axis which would be vertical),these are often beyond machine capabilities. Therefore, it is hard to answer to the question: can you mill surgical guides...will depend on the geometry of the guide!

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
some people say that 5 axis mill and "BlueSkyPlan" will work .currently looking to buy a system any ideas about 'BlueSkyPlan" will help Thank oyu.
Blue Sky planning software works great and is free. However, this software enables planning implant placement within the CT scan. You will need something additional to design the guide from the plan.
3Shape 2014 software will do it. We just received a beta version at CAP.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
exocad as well! We already have CT importing with the dicom viewer module.

Some Surgical guides have set-screws that pretty-much come in from horizontal-plane.

You need a mill with almost unlimited rotation on A and B axii.

My new mill, and My Haas can both do this!

Impossible with Imes, Roland, and most all other Dental mills.

You cannot rock the A axis stright up or down (90 degrees) to get that angles.

Same when you need lingual set-screw on some Dental thingys.

The fixture is in the way on most all mills. You'd end up milling the mill itself.

I thought about this before designing my Haas fixturing and my new mill.

This is really a special mill to be able to hit that angle. (My new One)

Soon.....

R

rookiee

Reaction score
A rookie question but what about that metal drill guide inside plastic, you glue that or what. I understand you mill plastic from puck but what about metal ring?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
We mill those as well out of Ti. Grade 5 6Al-4v Cond. A

I don't have Stainless-Steel. Maybe that is best?

I dunno these things?

R

rookiee

Reaction score
Ok but then you should glue or what this ti ring into guide?

F

fleshfly

Reaction score
The metal ring sleeves are glue to the guide. If you see a materialise or nobel guide there is a small hole making 90º to inject the glue so it can hold the sleeve.
This metal sleeves are a waste of time and money in my opinion as long as you use a guided surgical kit (you have to use sleeves if the guide is only for the first drill and you wont have a toll between the drill and the guide).
We 3d print our guides and dont use metal sleeves, 1st with a metal sleeve you will always have bigger fitting margins other wise the tool wont fit (its metal vs metal).
You can have much more precise fitting if you fit the tool that drills the guide directly on the guide, it will slide very well on plastic. This is a big advantage because if you test any straumman, nobel, neodent, whatever you want kit they all have a gap on the fitting, which makes a big diference, its very hard for the doctor to hold the toll concentric to the hole.
Another plus is since it fits so precise, the tool holds it self and it wont slide off when you arent holding them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom