CAL Technique

C

Cory Glenn

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a dentist that happens to do a ton of lab work...........I'm just learning about the CAL technique for making passive frameworks and am really excited about trying it but I can't find a source for the cylinders.

They're sold by Attachments International but when I ordered, they said they haven't been in stock for quite some time and there's no expected date for getting them

Any help appreciated

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
If you place an order big enough for them to manufacture they will be in stock quickly. Otherwise you will have to wait until the have enough to run a batch.:rolleyes:

C

Cory Glenn

Reaction score
Well crap...........want to go in with me ; )

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Just do a cement retained on custom abutments with a screw channel in the restoration. No help from AI necessary.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
With CAD you can do it easier and more precise, you just can't do it in your office unless you have the tools :)

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
With CAD you can do it easier and more precise, you just can't do it in your office unless you have the tools :)

I have this doc that wants me to put a hole in the crown them cement it to the Ti stock abutment, I charge $25.00 extra for using my Multi Link Implant cement. ;)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a dentist that happens to do a ton of lab work...........I'm just learning about the CAL technique for making passive frameworks and am really excited about trying it but I can't find a source for the cylinders.

They're sold by Attachments International but when I ordered, they said they haven't been in stock for quite some time and there's no expected date for getting them

Any help appreciated
Greetings Earthling! Welcome!
Hope you stick around to share some with us.

Basically the whole catalog from AI went bye bye when Implant Direct bought them. Very upsetting.

C

Cory Glenn

Reaction score
I would love to do CAD but I don't have the scanner or the mill. That rules out custom abutments too. That will change soon but for now, I'm working with what I've got. The beauty of CAL is that the cylinders are only $50 a piece. I could wax up a bar using their waxing sleeves with primopattern in about 20 minutes and have my lab cast it for $150. The rest, I can do entirely myself.........set the teeth and build the gingiva with Anaxgum. The whole hybrid will cost me under $400. The CAL cylinders have a wax spacer that can come out to create a tiny bit of slop so that you can pick up the cylinders in the mouth or on the model with cement which ensures absolute passivity

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I have this doc that wants me to put a hole in the crown them cement it to the Ti stock abutment, I charge $25.00 extra for using my Multi Link Implant cement. ;)
Sevan, I have a doctor who asks fro the same thing. But I had to stop doing it for him.
Sometimes Sum3D did a great job, sometimes Sum3D would screw it up. So I was tired of wasting time either remilling or recalculating over and over to double check the simulation. And often the simulation would look great but the just enough of the intaglio wouldn't get milled. And this was barely visible in the simulation. But enough that it needed to be remilled.
I always cut the hole in my crown in the design absolutely last to ensure a prestine cylinder.
What type of crown do you select when importing into Sum3D?
Any tips you can give me so I may get better results with Sum3Ds calculations and recognition of the screw channel?

C

Cory Glenn

Reaction score
b_zpssdpeb6kq.jpg.html

I do that quite often...............screwmentation. Actually works great. Many implants come with an MPA abutment which can be used as the transfer and then prepped so as the dentist, we already have this part for free so it allows you go go screw retained for just the price of a crown. I'm kind of "frugal" if you haven't noticed yet : )
a_zpseh90xalj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

a_zpseh90xalj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
a_zpseh90xalj.jpg
b_zpssdpeb6kq.jpg
c_zpsxrbohvgo.jpg
d_zpspurq9hgw.jpg
e_zpstxgwm8cy.jpg
3_zps5afuvkcm.jpg
5_zpsrtlpd2ly.jpg

C

Cory Glenn

Reaction score
Greetings Earthling! Welcome!
Hope you stick around to share some with us.

Basically the whole catalog from AI went bye bye when Implant Direct bought them. Very upsetting.

That is very upsetting for sure...........I guess they'd rather make you mill a $900 bar than sell these attachments : (

I intend to stick around. I think I can learn a lot here and hopefully be of help to you all as well. I also work for Blue Sky Bio as VP of technology. We're most known for our implants and free guided CBCT software but are working on many other things too will be helpful

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I only mill with my VHF cam I only demoed sum3d. But when I demoed sum3d 3d I would do them the same as a screw retained zr crown. Had to add the. 6mm to the abutment strategy and create a new one so I had a regular abutment then a .6 abutment strategy. In my vhf cam I don't have to select the abutment file it goes with the stl data. I cut my panadent plates in my vhf mill on the coping setting and it drilled the holes through and through. Not bad for a cheap cam software huh?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
The last time I remember, it was called the KAL (?Kulzer Abutment Luting system).
Unless you are referring to something else?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1883893
LCM

My memory isn't the best, but I think it goes back to the 90's. I think you're right LCM. I still do it today, mostly for long term transitionals. Can't think of the tech-guru that promoted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.