CAD Denture Planning for Down Syndrome Patient

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Hi DLN'ers,

Long time no see. I've been super busy with school and the like, and I'm out in Keene, NH working at a clinic on rotation. I was wondering if I could get anyone to scan some models for me and return the .stl files (and the models). Ill pay for shipping. The short story is that I have some partial impressions which I need to merge, conventional full arch elastomeric impressions of this patient are impossible. At this point they are just for diagnostic purposes but could be used later for surgical guide or prosthesis fabrication...for now...just for getting an idea and for proof of concept. Long story below, open for discussion, ideas, feedback and criticisms as well. PM me if willing to scan some models for me so we can work out $$, shipping etc.

-Patrick

Pt Presents edentulous, Mom is interested in having dentures made for him so he can have some teeth to work with.

Pt Info: Approx 50 years old, and has down syndrome. He's totally comfortable in the chair, compliant and tolerates intra-oral work well. Finances not a huge concern (although fully fixed implant supported prosthesis is out of the question). We've been very clear about expectations, whether or not pt will be able to wear/tolerate any prostheses at all, implant supported options, the whole gamut. We've also discussed exit strategies if pt/guardian decides the time/effort/$$ are not worth the outcome. Right now, the plan is to see if he can tolerate/wear an upper, then, see if we can tackle the mandible (see below). Obviously, we don't want to leave a maxilary denture hanging in space, so we will design the upper with the eventual lower occlusal scheme in mind...the problem is deciding what that's going to be.

Findings: The palate is very small (photos later) and the mandibular arch is medium sized. I'm expecting class III and posterior cross bite. The tongue is VERY LARGE and has a very strong reflex. When I go in with anything...boom, the tongue is pushing on it. Patient will eventually relax it, but it makes a mandibular impression impossible. The tongue sweeps all material out of tray, or prevents tray from seating in any way that doesn't destroy the impression. (Hmm...how are we going to restore this?). Working on the maxilla is a dream, he just over-seated my final impression with (very)firm upward tongue pressure so I've got showthrough to the ruggae in my final (That's what PIP will be fore). He tolerated prelims, border molding, custom tray adjustment, light body wash etc on the upper no problem.

What I did for the lower: I took some disposable trays, and sectioned them into 2/3 trays hoping to get each side, and then make a jig (plaster index) with the overlaping sections so I could make a kind of altered cast type thing. OR, since it's 2012, scan them and register them together digitally. I displaced the tongue with one hand and cheek with the other so we could see the ridge on one side, let him relax, then had the assistant slide in the tray over my fingers so it would go past the tongue and seat. It worked fairly well. Unfortunately, I didn't get a whole lot of overlap in the information in the anterior, but for a first try, it went well enough that I think I could make some custom trays and make a sectioned final impression this way. For now, I need a rough diagnostic model of the lower to just visualize what our plan is for the top. I will need to take an anterior 2/3 impression later to get a better overlap/registration, but I think I have just a few reference points right now where I can hook these two models together roughly in 3d using picked points.

any takers?

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
I would be happy to if you're happy to wait for the shipping to Aus. I'm guessing there will be someone closer eager to help.

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
What if you made custom trays with a bite rim. Ask him to close together to get a functional impression. This might distract his tongue long enough to get a final impression.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Patrick,

I'm sure Jason Nicely would do some scanning and aligment work to produce a file.

(In Tennessee) It's the "Train Lab". (Chooo-choo)

I'd be glad to make a model file from that data and print a working model.

I'm busy this week, or I'd offer to scan and do CAD work. We are stupid busy!

Scott

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
General anesthesia. Or deep sedation

I agree, this will be necessary for any surgical phase of his treatment, but it's a bit much for some diagnostic casts or even for final impressions. The head doc does do NO2, and the OS who did his extractions does GA.

What if you made custom trays with a bite rim. Ask him to close together to get a functional impression. This might distract his tongue long enough to get a final impression.

It's like indiana jones getting the hat from under the falling stone door. He opens when we ask...and he will open once something is in there, but he always closes down for a bit on the way in and once it's in for a second. I think with some practice, we could get there. You will see in the photos where he closed down, forcing the stock tray edges into his tissue. So, functional impression may work, but its still getting past the tongue. I'm not totally sure something can get by it to seat even if we do end up with a full arch custom tray but I am hopeful. Path wise, it's going to drag all the material out though. I think once we have a lower profile item (like the denture itself) it will go in fine with some crafty maneuvering.

I'd be glad to make a model file from that data and print a working model.

I think im going to find a local CEREC doc and see if I can do some after hours scanning...convert them, just to see what I end up with from these two initial impressions. If we reach the point where I've taken some overlapping "final impressions," I will take you up on the solid model printing.

Alternative 2....make two 1/2 sided custom trays from the models I have with solid indexes on the non tissue side. Reseat the impressions and then make an index intraorally with putty...call it a day.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Patrick, I would be glad to scan and register the meshes for you. Let me check tomorrow and see which software to use to output a final mesh from two separate files.

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
some quick photos with the phone. Sorry about the model work on the partial casts. I was in a hurry, locked one in, broke it, and at the end of the day, didn't get quite as much overlap in the impressions as I had hoped.

[PICASA=104261288860868281952]DentureCADCase[/PICASA]

S

Scanner Man

Reaction score
Patrick,

I would be glad to help I am in the Lowell area. We have all the capabilities to scan and merge using Geomagic Studio. Obviously are not a lab or have any dental technicians but we have scanning capabilities. I would even invite you to stop by and do the scanning with me if you want.

Just PM me if you want to proceed.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Thanks Scanner Man for getting me these models. I registered the invididual models you provided in meshlab and took the extremes of the differences in how it hooked the orientation just to get a guage of how much error we are looking at. See photos. I think your registration looks to be like as good as it's going to get so I'm sticking with the model you provided me (not the one pictured actually).

In these photos I put the upper and lower bounds of how meshlab proposed the alignment...guessing we are somewhere in between, most likely more toward the upper limit based on gut feeling and pure visualization of some landmarks.

[PICASA=104261288860868281952]ErrorAndRegistration[/PICASA]

I'm trying to decide best plan of action from here.

1. Print a preliminary working model, make custom tray(s) on that.
2. Print the tray(s) directly (could you use a printable material as a custom tray?)
3. Use this as practice, start over with better alginates

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Milled Clear PMMA tray? Disks are cheap!

Only need One big tool?

or...Lay physical spacer on top of model and hand shape tray onto that?

Good Luck!

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
You don't need any digital scan......Order some trays of the appropriate size that are heat mold-able...(I suggest some Shcrienmakers or Dr. Massads trays because they have great form....Have you tried Accudent System one trays?.Then, take one side at a time if you using silicone PVS. Also try just the stiff mix of tray material from Accudent system one without the orange soft impression material. Once you obtain a preliminary impression make the prosthesis and do a functional reline using Bosworths soft reline material as a functional reline material.) You may have to make a series of trays in steps for this to get your final border extensions.You will have to have an assistants help to dislodge the tongue and move it aside. Use a large depressor if you must....But use one tray that fits quite close and do one side at a time...You have to practice with the patient seating of the tray.....Might even have to consider an Ativan under the tongue about five minutes before your procedure.to help the patients tension while you do this....Also consider some anesthetic spray to help the patient with gagging....Take care

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
If you think the patient is too tense then try ativan under the tongue five minutes before th4e procedure. Might also try and anesthetic spray to prevent gagging.....

Last edited:
P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
You don't need any digital scan......

Hi denturist-student. Thanks for all the great suggestions. Indeed we may not need a digital scan when it's all said and done. And certainly I don't want to use CAD/CAM for the sake of CAD/CAM. I am exploring all the tools available to me to get a favorable result.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Milled Clear PMMA tray? Disks are cheap!

Only need One big tool?

or...Lay physical spacer on top of model and hand shape tray onto that?

Good Luck!

I'm leaning toward traditional hand made tray on 3d model.

The Tray I designed in Blender is ~18mm in depth, I could probably shorten it to 16mm if I trimmed the borders to 2-3mm above the fold. Do they make pucks that deep?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I imagine a tray with some type of gelatinous material with basically infinite contact points with zero tissue distortion. Info runs through a cable that is connected to the tray and a computer. Perfect STL designed from information.

Not helping now but one day;)

S

Scanner Man

Reaction score
No problem..

For the solid model I provided the registration surface was about 6mm x 8mm. In this area the average registration error was around 0.14mm.
The max error with my alignment could result in deviations up to 3mm in portions of the model farthest from the registration area.

The models will be sent back to you on Tuesday.

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Got the models yesterday. I'll be seeing this patient again in a week or so. Hopefully I'll have a working model by then.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Patty, sorry to butcher your CAD file of the Model. LOL

Fill the bottom with Plaster to Mount onto Articulator base-plate.
Holes are for locating if you want it removable from base...?? Vasaline as seperator?

I never try this before...Sorry to experiment with your stuff.

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_generalmodel.jpg

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1000.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1002.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1001.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_generalmodel.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1000.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1002.jpg ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_1001.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
LEGO base!

Print Lego bottom to "snap" onto the articulator.

(I'm calling Lego now.....)

The "Lego Dental-Articulator" is in my head!

Must be realised in life now...