Buying a Haas Office Mill

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone had one of these?

I know Glidewell and Laboratory Solutions have one.
Jeff sold his Four Axis Haas OM-2a and will be picked up this week. Don't know why he sold it? He only cut Green Zirconia with it since 2006, which I think is kinda stupid to have a 3kw spindle cutting dust, but whatever? Too much electricity wasted for such a soft material.

It has a 3kW spindle, or about 5x stronger than a Lava mill.

I ordered one with the 4th and 5th axis wiring and tables.

$85k.

I plan on milling Ti with it for fun and profit. Also could mill anything under 12" cubed.

20 station tool holder. I also added on-the-fly rotation and scaling of part on the mill and really not much else.

I need to find someone who sells a "Dental" material holder. 98mm or 100mm Aluminum fixture for the Haas 4th/5th axis unit. I know some labs have this in Europe, but I lost the napkin I scribbled the info on. If not, I will just design one and have the mill make it from 6061 stock. I just don't want to re-invent the wheel if it is already for sale somewhere>? Ja know?

Haas Automation Inc. - CNC - OM-1A - Details - VMC_OM

awww.haascnc.com_SAPPI_documents_machines_OM_1A_lg.jpg
flag.jpg

Seven feet tall of US goodness. Really holds it's value. Laboratory Solutions sold theirs for almost the exact same as they paid for it five years ago!!
WTF!

Haas OM-2A CNC Office Mill 3-Axis Vertical Machine | eBay

(Don't call...it's sold.)

I will try to buy American when and if possible. I think the Haas is a great machine, but you are on your own. They do NOT customize anything and they do not know Jack-Sh1t about teeth. You have to figure it out for yourself.
awww.haascnc.com_SAPPI_documents_machines_OM_1A_lg.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I was shopping for a DMG UltraSonic...but at $800k for all the bells and whistles I wanted...and a 14 ton mill footprint and gigantic power demands....ahh..

I'll take 10 Haas Office mills anyday over that option.
The DMG is a sexy machine and fast and blah blah....
Just an overkill for cutting a tooth IMO.
Too expensive for our Healthcare system in the US.
I guess it works in the EU?

Oh well... it was a good dream while it lasted.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Again.....

LOOKING FOR HAAS MATERIAL HOLDER

HELP

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
try contacting Aro-Tec Gmbh...they outfit the OM2A in a dental specific setup....the work fixture you are referencing is likely theirs.

Hope this helps awww.maschinenmarkt.vogel.de_imgserver_bdb_315900_315983_17.jpg
awww.maschinenmarkt.vogel.de_imgserver_bdb_315900_315983_17.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I deleted the on-the-fly rotation and scaling because I had no idea what I was even talking about. That option is for people who have not spent the $$ on a good CAM.

I forget that some Machine Shops have old school dudes who prefer to manually enter the CNC program line by line. Gheez. Sounds like fun!

F0k that. I throw a shape into the CAM software and let'er rip!
I tried to explain that to local Speed Shops, but they think $9k on software is crazy! LOL

I have over over $100k on software for my little business!

I watched a guy take forever just to level off stock of aluminum, just to begin the real milling process on a Haas VM-2 mill. I could not take it and had to leave. What a waste of labor.

We have so many different CAD softwares that we could design and mill anything before that shop could even get going on the set-up!
The owner is 64yrs and is our city's "go to guy" for parts. Local companys that have assembly lines like Phillip Morris and Alcoa (Renoylds Aluminum) Nabisco, Sauers Vanilla, etc.. go to local shops for quick parts. I'll be more than happy to fill that gap when he retires!

Near me is also a place that makes Drone Aircraft for the military. I'd love to get in on that making one-off pieces for ??

Do any of you make stuff outside of Dentistry? I have been into EVERYTHING!! I really do mean... EVERYTHING!

Scott

)

Last edited:
T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
iso 20 toolholders comply with ics standard 25.060.20 by definition....so yes they will fit...however you want to make sure that your using an ultra low tir iso 20 for precision purposes.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
This Haas Office Mill now comes with a 3.6kw or 5HP Vector Drive spindle and 30,000RPM.

Maybe 10x stronger than a B&D and 6x stronger than a Lava mill. Has High-Speed Machining in full five axis.

You're going to shoot your eye out son!

awww.layoutlocator.com_graphics_dldimg_8b8ec195e5353bdc6cf31ab523400cea_MJZ1705.gif

Three weeks or less before delivery. Feels like Christmas!

Sure, this machine can cut Green Zirconia, but....it would be so much wasted energy moving the big spindle on the Z axis if you are only using 5% of the spindle's power. Better off using a smaller spindle/smaller mill that is better matched for the job. So, I hope to be cutting some HARD materials with this unit.
awww.layoutlocator.com_graphics_dldimg_8b8ec195e5353bdc6cf31ab523400cea_MJZ1705.gif

Last edited:
T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
Thank you sir!

Are you Jesse or Dustin?

Scott

Dustin....Ive been on and off the board as a lurker for years...didnt even realize I was acquainted with you when we hooked up through ebay.

Jesse's the lucky sob that still has your HR....doubt youll ever get him to part with it... I find the toys but he gets to play with them :(

Ive been tinkering with a Xerox hack for quite awhile now....I really need the multicomponent system, I have too many blind overhangs in my work to put up with the supports of a single component machine. I abandoned my Etek chase shortly after junior revealed his experiments success, he was supposed to "open source" the plans, so I thought it would be better to move on....a year later Im still waiting to see how much he will charge for the software and resin formulation....if he ever releases it.

Its been about a year since I left Jesse and the HR...I went back to the denture lab again...but its hard to say how long Ill stick with it. Theres only so much fun to be had in the dental field....but you seem to know that feeling...I cant wait to see what you do with your new toy :)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
WOW! Nice fixture!

Ah, doesn't that mill have a very strong, but slow spindle?

E

elite1

Reaction score
30,000 w/ bt30 is enough for most materials. You can upgrade most options with haas.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I see German Glass scales for 1um accuracy as an option for that mill! WOW.

OK, $20k+ option, but still...Then add 4th and 5th axis and the upgraded spindle($50k) base price of $55k for the mill=$125k or so new.)

I think I found my next mill. Screw the overpriced DMGs.

Robot automation is just as easy with these. Probably easier?

I'm jealous! Sweet set-up! Who made that fixture?

I just bought a couple from Germany, but I think I will make my own in the future.

Scott

Last edited:
P

paulg100

Reaction score
amazing how much the price of this kit is comming down now.

I think we must have paid near $85k for our Cercon system when we bought it (over 10 years ago),and its a pile of poo compared to this thing.

Basically makes the chance of selling our MCXL for anything worth while non existent. :(

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
Basically makes the chance of selling our MCXL for anything worth while non existent. :(

Surely you can find a dentist who doesn't mind open margins and spending his valuable chairside time being a technician cause he thinks he's making a few extra bucks to sell it to.

But, yeh your probaby right - at an outside odds, you may find the green metal milling option makis it worth whole - jurys still out on costs and the argon furnace, but the MCXL should be good for that.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
yeah trying to sell it to a surgery at the moment.

No way im gonna stand and try and bulls**t some poor un-knowing lab into buying this, like panadent did to us!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
could be a great jewelry mill. Just need some creative hacking.

I think CIMSystem is working on something to oopen the Sirona mill?

But, I remember Luigi saying it is not like any other mill. (language used to x-fer files.)

Top Bottom