broken bridge Parkinson patient.

A

AL1

Reaction score
Have an account that has a patient with Parkinson disease, he is supposed to use a walker
but doesn't so he keeps falling on his face and breaking his anterior bridge, was 5 units now 6.
He doesn't want a removable.
Any suggestions such as maybe a long term temp?
This will be the 3rd time redoing bridge.

A

AL1

Reaction score
Serious suggestions only, your attempt at humor of a handicapped person isn't really funny.

doug

doug

Reaction score
My brother has Parkinsons, he would be laughing his arse off at that. Quite frankly, it's not a bad suggestion until he can get into the habit of using his walker.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Serious suggestions only, your attempt at humor of a handicapped person isn't really funny.
Unless theres a flexible option, Id continue to make them as need and charge accordingly. I definitely wouldn't put a bullet prof FCZ in him. Something has to be the weak link...

Maybe just provide PMMA?

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Maybe a soft mouthguard would cushion the fall and save his bridge.

Jesse Zamarripa

Jesse Zamarripa

Reaction score
Have an account that has a patient with Parkinson disease, he is supposed to use a walker
but doesn't so he keeps falling on his face and breaking his anterior bridge, was 5 units now 6.
He doesn't want a removable.
Any suggestions such as maybe a long term temp?
This will be the 3rd time redoing bridge.

Maybe a long temp provisional with a stayplate made as a back up. Doctor can also have a provisional made for back up. It would save on cost if he is truly falling and breaking restorations. Having something too rigid in the mouth may be problematic if he falls again, a provisional will just snap and cause no to limited damage to the natural teeth/abutments

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I agree, It's better than breaking the teeth. I'm surprised he has not. I would consider a hard PMMA guard as another choice.

Jesse Zamarripa

Jesse Zamarripa

Reaction score

One thing to consider is that a patient with Parkinson's may have limited dexterity. This will limit the patients ability to insert/remove the mouthgaurd, especially if it is a hard PMMA. Furthermore it is safe to assume dexterity gradually decreases over time. An mouthgaurd in theory is the best idea, but guaranteeing the patient will actually wear it cannot be done because of the "Parkinson's" factor.

A

AL1

Reaction score
he doesn't use his walker which would probably solve the problem, he also stated he does not want a removable so I am guessing he would not use a mouth guard.