Bonding Zirconia crown to titanium abutment?

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Pat, had to ask. Used Implant MultiLink until it stopped production.
Was there an issue with original version I need to worry about?
LCM

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Pat, had to ask. Used Implant MultiLink until it stopped production.
Was there an issue with original version I need to worry about?
LCM

No issues that I have ever heard of, we just didn't feel the need to have another product that does the same thing.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Thanks, good to know those crowns I luted won't have an issue. I lute mine outside the mouth.
Was just wondering why the newer product if the original was working so well.
LCM

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
No issues that I have ever heard of, we just didn't feel the need to have another product that does the same thing.
I was using multi-link, and found out by accident that my crowns weren't bonded (would break loose with enough pressure)... stuff was outdated... 2 new boxes went to the garbage

Boksa

Boksa

Reaction score
I suggest that the tooth preparation for a full crown should have 4 mm or more of near-parallel axial walls from the gingival margin to the occlusal table, and that retentive tooth preparations should have no more than 20 degrees of lack of parallelism. Such retentive tooth preparations do not need bonding when planned for full-zirconia or zirconia-based restorations. Later, I'll discuss the few situations in which zirconia-based, full-zirconia, and lithium disilicate restorations may be better when bonded and resin cement is used.

keithw@vodamail.co.za

[email protected]

Reaction score
Intraoral - lightly blast (50micron ALOX) both titanium abutment and bonding surface of Zirconia structure, treat both with Monobond Plus for 60 seconds and then air dry, then cement with Multilink Automix (dual cure) (Multilink Implant is no longer available).

Extraorally - lightly blast (50micron ALOX) both titanium abutment and bonding surface of Zirconia structure, treat both with Monobond Plus for 60 seconds and then air dry, then cement with Multilink Hybrid Abutment Cement (self cure only).

Hi Patrick, an old thread but I have a question, I see you have not stated that one has to use etching gel before applying the Monobond.
If you are bonding Zr to Titanium can I skip the etching gel?

Many Thanks
Keith

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Hi Patrick, an old thread but I have a question, I see you have not stated that one has to use etching gel before applying the Monobond.
If you are bonding Zr to Titanium can I skip the etching gel?

Many Thanks
Keith

Hi Keith,

When treating glass ceramics you always use ceramic etching gel, but ceramic etching gel will not etch metal or zirconia. In these cases you lightly blast with alox to clean and create the extra surface area you would get with etching glass ceramics.

keithw@vodamail.co.za

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi Keith,

When treating glass ceramics you always use ceramic etching gel, but ceramic etching gel will not etch metal or zirconia. In these cases you lightly blast with alox to clean and create the extra surface area you would get with etching glass ceramics.

Patrick,
Thanks for the speedy reply and explanation, you are the man!!
Regards Keith