Seating drill sleeves

C

ChiJug49

Reaction score
Hey Techs! Is anyone using special tools provided by implant manufacturers to seat drill sleeves in their printed guides? I'm just wondering if it is necessary to purchase these tools and if it'd be helpful or more accurate to use.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Which implant manufacturers are selling them and what software you using? I’ve never once used them.

C

ChiJug49

Reaction score
Which implant manufacturers are selling them and what software you using? I’ve never once used them.

We use primarily Nobel and a seating/fixation tool is called out in their IFU. I'm sure there are other tools for the dozens of different drill sleeves out there. Just curious if they were necessary as I place the drill sleeves by hand or use a tool to make sure it's flush on the guide.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
I normally just use the flat end of whatever tool I got laying around, it’s pretty easy to tell when it’s seated

DigiSculpt Design Center

DigiSculpt Design Center

Reaction score
I place them with a soldering iron, stick the tip in, heat em up and let them melt into place

C

ChiJug49

Reaction score
I place them with a soldering iron, stick the tip in, heat em up and let them melt into place
Interesting.. I haven't heard of that technique! So, no glue needed?! Is this specific to a material or resin since some are more or less rigid than others.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
I’ve never heard of that either, you aren’t worried about something warping slightly from the heat, like the guide material?

C

ChiJug49

Reaction score
I’ve never heard of that either, you aren’t worried about something warping slightly from the heat, like the guide material?
@KingGhidorah I thought of that as well but haven't tried it myself. I have heard that you can insert the drill sleeve prior to curing and becomes firmly fixed into place after curing cycle.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
@KingGhidorah I thought of that as well but haven't tried it myself. I have heard that you can insert the drill sleeve prior to curing and becomes firmly fixed into place after curing cycle.
I don’t think there’s any need to come up with some new solution for this. Just get your parameters so the sleeve fits in there snugly but not too snug and throw some glue in there and call it good, it takes two seconds to do, and it’s secure.

Last edited:
DigiSculpt Design Center

DigiSculpt Design Center

Reaction score
Interesting.. I haven't heard of that technique! So, no glue needed?! Is this specific to a material or resin since some are more or less rigid than others.

My experience has been with formlabs SG resin, never had a problem other than occasionally burning myself

Temperature kept fairly low, never had warpage, I did have some problems prior with glues and adhesives loosening during the autoclaving process which I why I turned to heat setting

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
My experience has been with formlabs SG resin, never had a problem other than occasionally burning myself

Temperature kept fairly low, never had warpage, I did have some problems prior with glues and adhesives loosening during the autoclaving process which I why I turned to heat setting
You able to see what the temperature is at? Looks like the guide material is only meant to be autoclaved to 250 degrees I think, so I imagine there’s potential of it having issues with anything higher than that.

I see how the glue thing makes sense though, looks like most glues aren’t good up to that temperature

Last edited:
DigiSculpt Design Center

DigiSculpt Design Center

Reaction score
You able to see what the temperature is at? Looks like the guide material is only meant to be autoclaved to 250 degrees I think, so I imagine there’s potential of it having issues with anything higher than that.

I see how the glue thing makes sense though, looks like most glues aren’t good up to that temperature
I was not, it was the offices that received the guides that did the autoclaving, and while they were provided with the white pages and specific instructions on how to properly perform the autoclaving processes, I didn't have control over their willingness or ability to follow through so I had to idiot-proof as much as I could

I don't necessarily know if its the best way to go about it, its just the process that worked for me

A

Artin

Reaction score
I use bic round stick pen it’s plastic it won’t damage the sleeve.

Gigieiya

Gigieiya

Reaction score
Hej! We are making "open guides" in 2Ingis software. Nevertheless we always checking the fit with metal drill positioner even after we calibrated our printers.