BioDent - three shape and in office milling

L

Loetscher

Reaction score
I am an oral surgeon looking to get the trios scanner and a DS1300 wet 4 axis milling system from BioDent. Has anyone used their set up and have any experience with the company, as far as training, reliability, and functionality of their work flow?

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I've been around a long time. Never head of them. They must be new to the market.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Come join the Trios Study Club on Facebook as well for any tips and tricks.

I'm sure the good folks on here will have feedback on BioDent.

PearlZ

PearlZ

Reaction score
there arent a lot of good wet milling emax machines out there. if at all possible i would avoid it and go with pressed. or do zirconia.

while i can get fits ok from planmill i don't feel its a great system either.

besides which, you are missing the 3rd piece of the puzzle - the design suite. you can buy a trios and use it to scan, for one flat dongle fee. but the design suite is another animal entirely. they'll bump your yearly fee up quite high. its going to be pretty hairy if you arent pumping out units all over the place.

the trios is great. the design suite is fantastic, best ive ever used. but for wet milling emax its both overkill and overpriced. not an entry level, and not designed for a lone dentist or prostho, trying to make crowns in office in under an hour.

no, for that you'll best be served with the planscan, planmill. its a system designed for you dentists that want to cut lab bills for whatever reason. it actually works with much less effort and tinkering.

but be prepared, because it also comes with a pricetag that will make you second-guess how much youre actually saving on a lab bill.

edited to add: biodent used to be a 3shape reseller, but theyve stopped doing that.

L

Loetscher

Reaction score
I mis-spelled the name of the company for this thread -
The company is actually BIODENTA -- from switzerland

PearlZ

PearlZ

Reaction score
wait did you want to use 3shape for the implant placing and planning software? if so, then of course, that makes much more sense. i would gladly recommend you do that.

but why the DS1300 ?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
VHF N 4 ................. my German friends !!!!!!!!!!!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Where are you located loetscher? Biodenta is a worldwide firm, but if you are in Europe there are better solutions I think.. Biodentas footprint in switzerland was almost nil.. maybe theyve grown? The swiss are not known for their customer service.. I believe I emailed biodenta among a few other swiss 'milling centers' that never even responded to my email.

The trios is great for implant planning.. The mill depends on what youre planning on producing.
If you are in the US check out CAP.

L

Loetscher

Reaction score
I'm in Atlanta GA. BioDenta is just coming out with this, they have apparently developed some nice user friendly software to take this from intra-oral scanning of an implant body to mining a provisional onsite. They don't seem to have a track record that I know of to do any homework on what they have been developing. That is my concern

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
This is a good example of a company with great marketing and a nice website.. but they ultimately are just rebranding another companys gear.
Support is important. Having software to mill a temp is nothing.. Taking a design file from 3shape into any number of mills takes less than a minute. You can either network the computers together, or dropbox, or thumb drive..

What are you planning on milling and whom are you planning to run it?

PearlZ

PearlZ

Reaction score
everybody and their brother makes CAM software. you can buy any machine and drive it with any software if you particularly care for one company or another. but i wouldn't use these biodent machines. i would get a more practical more versatile more flexible tabletop machine. Amann Girrbach makes one, wieland makes one, versamill makes one, and theres several others to consider.

you want to spend in the target pricerange of 50k USD.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
the motion 2 would be perfect for an in house lab. You can do almost anything with it, including titanium abutments.. Its very precise and now open to any material. You cant really compare what the biodenta VHF mill and the ceramill can do.. especially for the price

L

Loetscher

Reaction score
the motion 2 would be perfect for an in house lab. You can do almost anything with it, including titanium abutments.. Its very precise and now open to any material. You cant really compare what the biodenta VHF mill and the ceramill can do.. especially for the price

L

Loetscher

Reaction score
Thanks for the followup. I basically am using it to mill provisionals on implants, until they've become integrated, waiting and ready for the final

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Scan scan-body in Trios, Design screw-retained temp crown in 3shape, output .stl and nest in PMMA puck,mill (20-30min),remove and polish, temp Cement to Ti base, (which can be used for final crown also, after integration).

This workflow would take less than an hour, and I didnt even charge you for it! All said and done material costs would be under $75 for ti base and PMMA.

Top Bottom