bad impression

E

exyu

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was wondering what would be a professional way to tell dentist that it is impossible to see margin and that he must take new impression? :)

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Call him/her up and tell them that their impression is not clear and that they need to take new impression. Labs should never be afraid to call the dentist up and talk to them, they are pretty quick to call you up and give you s...t for your work. Techs and dentists are both professionals and should treat each other with respect and not be afraid to communicate openly.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
"Hello Doctor, I wanted to discuss your case for Inlgbert Humperdink. In looking at the margins picked up in the impresson and on the cast itself. I am not confident that we can find the proper margin or even interpolate and interperate the margin. I may suggest we attempt to reimpress this patients preperation in order for the lab to provide you and the patient the best results possible."

---"No idiot, just build the crown. Do what your told.""

"Ok doctor, we will have this crown for you and it should be delivered on XXX as you requested. However if it is to be remade because of any marginal issues. I cannot promise the lab will cover the cost of the remake."

---"I'm a doctor, your nothing, just do what your told. I am the greatest."

"Ok, thank you for your feedback doctor, enjoy the rest of your day."

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
C'mon guys,

exyu asked for a professional way to tell the dr.

Instead of a bag , you could put it in a lab box and torch it......I'd suggest a plain box and write " Slidewell" on the top.

Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
We love working with you, and know that like us you want the best for your patient. I know that not every patient is the same and unfortunately on this case I am unable to detect the exact margin. After looking at the impression and the models it seems that something might of caused an issue during the impression process. We have a couple of choices to use in proceeding with the case. You can send us a new impression, this would be ideal. Our other choice is I can send you the model and you can trim the margin, but I cannot do a re-make if the margin is still not where you want it.

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
When you call be ready for excuses on why they can't get the patient back in for a new impression and the all to familiar "just do the best you can with it".

E

exyu

Reaction score
Thank you everyone! I called him and he asked me to bring model to his office so he can show me a margin. He looked at the model for 10 min and said : I know what you mean. Just make buccal margin longer and do it. LOL (I do not know how to attach pic here so you can see impression)

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone! I called him and he asked me to bring model to his office so he can show me a margin. He looked at the model for 10 min and said : I know what you mean. Just make buccal margin longer and do it. LOL (I do not know how to attach pic here so you can see impression)

Yeah.
"real difficult patient...."
"tough impression....."
"just do the best you can......."

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Yeah, funny how that works.
"Just do your best, and if it doesn't work, Do it again.... for free."

Sometimes accounts like that are just not worth it. Sure in the long run you're better off having them, but it sure can be frustrating dealing with that kind of person.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Those are the type of docs I weed out. Not worth the trouble. You end up doing twice as much work for those jokers for less money.
You'd think they would take a whopping 1 minute to look at the impression to see if it resembles the prep they have been looking at
for the last hour. I keep notes on all my scripts, so when they call whining about being charged again for the crown, I have a record
of the prior conversation. It goes something like this:

Doc "Why did you charge me to remake this crown?":arghh:
Me "I did my best with what I had to work with.":rolleyes:
Doc "Yeah, but it didn't fit." o_O
Me "That's why I called concerning the poor margin capture.":banghead:
Doc "I'll just start sending my work elsewhere.":mad:
Me "Please do.":D

S

SZsharpmill

Reaction score
You can say :maybe you were so busy in your work ,but sorry that this case ......

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
There is a better way.

stay tuned.....

Ken Knapp

Ken Knapp

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was wondering what would be a professional way to tell dentist that it is impossible to see margin and that he must take new impression? :)

Just tell Dr. how it is..... I cannot see the margin...there is a large pull 2mm in diameter on the facial side that extends across the margin. I recommend a new impression... or I can make the crown as is... or you can trim the die, which I don't cover a remake for. I only cover remakes for acceptable impressions and margins.

Came across this dentist and his three offices in December. Very high volume. Initial crown evaluations and impressions were excellent. He like the work and then unleashed the volume with his associate dentists.....these dentists are only 1 year out of dental school and are imported from outside of the US. All of sudden the remake rate went through the roof and the impressions are awful.

I started requesting new impression 2, 3.. times on the same case. The office is unhappy.... Impressions are taken with two wash layers for margin detail that separate and cause distortions and other major problems....One minute the dentist is asking me how to take a good impression and then the next call telling me they have no problem with the other lab.."Glidewell". They have been going through labs like water.

The admin staff told me that our remake rate is extremely low compared to the other labs and the associate dentists are asking them how to take impressions.

I cannot afford high remake rates.... using SURPRISE impression methods....like the volume but not the remakes and constantly calling about NEW impressions..

Ken

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm a bit at a loss too. you shouldn't have to hold their hand, but i think the only course of action in this scenario is to hold a meeting with several of the problematic dentists you cater to, take a few sample impressions from their pool of bad cases, and take the names off of them, and pass them around. show them what to look for, how to recognize bad work.

get an impression material you like to work with, and the sales rep to come in, and demonstrate (DEMONSTRATE!!) how to take a good impression.

if that fails, and they return to the bad impressions DO IT AGAIN.

if after that you do NOT see an improvement, or the dentists leave, you can hold your head high and say you made a special effort for remedy a bad apple.

ignorance can be corrected. stupidity cannot.