acetyl resin

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has heard of milling acetyl resin rather than injecting it? I was told that DenMat was milling Snap-On-Smiles. Is it possible to get acetyl resin in a disk form to mill, and where would I get it from.

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has heard of milling acetyl resin rather than injecting it? I was told that DenMat was milling Snap-On-Smiles. Is it possible to get acetyl resin in a disk form to mill, and where would I get it from.

DenMat produces Snap-On-Smiles by 3d printing a sacrificial resin pattern, then burning it out ala investment casting, then they inject acetyl in its place.

As for machining acetyl....I have little to input beyond asking why?

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
I was told that it shrinks after injecting. This would eliminate the shrinkage factor. Design with 3Shape, and mill out. My boss thinks this would be good for doing snap on smiles.

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
There are reasons you would have shrinkage...in order of ascending likelihood..
1. overheated resin
2. overheated investment
3. insufficient pressure
4. insufficient duration of pressure

Barring these mistakes you should have accurate duplication.
I dont think that milling is a financially viable alternative.

BTW Snap on smile is a trademarked name. If youre not working with them.....pick a different phrase to describe your removable temporary veneers....or expect lawyers. They claim its patented.....though Ive not bothered reading the abstract to determine exactly what they patented.....
revised.....my curiousity got the better of me and I looked up their patent.

They patented the device not the process....and specified acetyl in the claims.
so again if your not working with them....You might want to try an alternative resin..or you might want to expect lawyers :D

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I was told that it shrinks after injecting. This would eliminate the shrinkage factor. Design with 3Shape, and mill out. My boss thinks this would be good for doing snap on smiles.

Na...printing these shapes is the way to go. Milling is slow...relativly speaking.

If you know that, then expand your design on the 3D Printer.

You can add one parameter to the entire build plate, and/or adjust each individual file. Many options!

Same principle as milling Zirconia. Overmilling is done all the time, and it's also totally possible for any 3D Printer :)

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Most people use a 3D printer, we have an EnvisionTec printer. Is this possible using EnvisionTec? If so does anyone know the parameters for 'over printing'?

AGV

AGV

Reaction score
Discs of Acetyl: index-Pressingdental

Now i'm trying to mill abutments of Acetyl for long time temporary bridges. Docs likes them. And i think Acetyl is a good solution for bruxism.

Top Bottom