Acetal pucks

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
You guys like Formaldehyd ??? Is released at 230 degrees Celsius so you better mill wet !!!

Bentchase

Bentchase

Reaction score
You guys like Formaldehyd ??? Is released at 230 degrees Celsius so you better mill wet !!!
How hot does it get!? Can't imagine it getting THAT hot? Not arguing, I'm just being ignorant.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Burrs are not cold and thats the reason why AG mills PMMA wet some materials need single flutes for faster cooling versus not partially melting the pmma . 230 deg are dry easy to reach. See below sorry only German partially translated

In view of the low thermal conductivity of composites and to the fact that they are often cut without coolant, results in high temperatures at the point of action tool-workpiece. To avoid thermal damage component to control the tool wear and the milling process effectively

http://www.machining-network.com/fl...thoden-zu-optimalen-Prozessen/0911183149.html

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
yeah we mill wet... go2cam even made a special acetyl strategy for us :)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
so is there a serious concern with milling acetal dry? (I only have dry capability)
if I reduce milling speed would that help? how would I determine temp while milling though o_O

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
so is there a serious concern with milling acetal dry? (I only have dry capability)
if I reduce milling speed would that help? how would I determine temp while milling though o_O
Just keep a couple of cadavers around, they should soak it up.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
a little google translation from the datasheet no joke

The maximum temperature of 220 ° C must not be exceeded. If it smells strongly of formaldehyde during milling, it means that the Frästemperatur near the Melting temperature of the material is. In this case, the affected part must be cooled immediately. If the processes the material at high temperatures, can mechanical material changes occur that may have an impact on the final product, the prosthesis. Do not contaminate the product during the milling phase. The product does not mix with other materials. If an allergic reaction to the material occur, discontinue use immediately and seek medical consult. RISK PHRASES ON THE PACKAGING R40 / 20 Harmful! Possible risk of irreversible effects through inhalation (through at Decomposition of the product gases produced) R42 / 43 May cause sensitization by inhalation and skin contact (by at Processing of the pieces resulting dust) R34 Causes burns (material in the molten state) R36 / 37 Irritating to eyes and respiratory system (by which during the processing of the pieces

http://www.goldquadrat.de/fileadmin...srohlinge/TSM_Acetal/GA_TSM_Acetal_Dental.pdf

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Just keep a couple of cadavers around, they should soak it up.
I was thinking of sticking my head in the mill and taking a deep breath!

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Reducing the speed probably would help, but I would imagine not spending too much time in the same area would be more effective, smaller chunks instead of just going for it like wax or pmma.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Do you have any idea how hot 220C is?

There is no flipping way a double fluted bur running a PMMA strategy will ever get close to heating up that high. This material machines beautifully dry. While I appreciate the concern I can be very certain this material is not getting anywhere close to that temperature.

Pretty sure we can talk about something else now

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score

There is no flipping way a double fluted bur running a PMMA strategy will ever get close to heating up that high. This material machines beautifully dry. While I appreciate the concern I can be very certain this material is not getting anywhere close to that temperature.

~430F? Typical American, I didn't even see the C behind the number.

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score

get yourself a laser pointed thermometer then point it at the bur while milling

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

i do agree. thats 428F. hotter than id expect any burs get while milling zirc, pmma, acetal, wax, or anything else dry that i mill