Accepting 3M True Def STL

• Thread starter Brett Hansen CDT
  • Start date
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
3m...........................Puke+

I have a single Doctor on it,I have been a margin marking lab since 2011 but never received a single case until 2016. LOL then once I did it was worse then itero. You have to position the model to the path of insertion then set it up in the articulator, then section the the die out the mark the margin. If the scan is ****ty then you rack your brain trying to mark the margin, but first you need to get past the hole in the model around the margin area since the doctor sucks at scanning. You request assistance for filling the holes 2-24 hour before the case is back and holes are filled. Then you start all over again. then you need to wait for 3M to make all the files available for download except stl is right out the bot but crappy texture quality. Then to get those files you need to log into 3M's website and download it then import it into 3Shape.

HORRY no we need to import it into 3shape then FINALLY we can start designing.

Me personally I HATE 3M with a passion. So much work and for what nothing special. No thanks Itero or Trios and nothing else please.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
you can outsource your model designs.. like we do with carestream (avoids the all scans)
or you can buy CAD points from 3shape.. about $12 in CAD points for one model... I can outsource the model design for $7 and have it sent straight to argen, so this makes more sense for us doing a few crowns a month

I was quoted 1500 yearly and 7200.00 up front. but that was a while ago.. it may have dropped for 2015.
I expect it will drop further when 3shape realizes their all scans module is being bypassed

Please keep in mind you CAN NOT use cad point on all scan model builder. You can on 3rd party, meaning you need to import the .3OXZ file from 3M's site and import that into 3shape in order to use 3rd party model builder for printing models. Trios models use 6cad points and I think 3rd party uses 12 points $19.20 in points just to use model builder and $9.60 for trios model builder use of cad points. Now factor in the printed model your at $25 dollars for a printed trios or $35 for a printed 3rd party, print cost $16 for full quad.

Yearly cost of all scan is $1300 average so that would be 812 cad points. The cheapest you can get cad points for is $1.60 when you pay $800 for 500 cad points, that would cost you $1299.20 if you used 812 points in one year. If you do use around 812 points a year just on models then get all scan. Now when you do implant bridges it is 9 cad points per implant so an all on 6 costs you 54 points at a rate of $86.40 just to design the case with out being able to save your design as you go. FML it all adds up really quick!