Accepting 3M True Def STL

• Thread starter Brett Hansen CDT
  • Start date
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
One of my doctors just bought 3M's intraoral scanner. We have a 3Shape. Will he be able to send STL files directly to me so that I can design crowns from his scans? Will I have to pay 3M some sort of a "lab partner" fee to be able to accept these files? I plan on calling his 3M rep, but I would like to get some information from any of you that have experience with this process before I talk to the sales rep. Thanks.

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
You will need to sign up with 3M to get access to "case manager", that is the website/system 3M uses for files and what not. Also, the doctor can select you as a lab on his devices once you are signed up. I have not heard of any sort of "direct connect" options for the 3M Scanner, but I could be wrong.

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
Well... 3Shape can also import iTero .zip files, 3M .uldc files, and even some .stl files (3M, E4D, and Carestreams). The imported data can be used to create crown and bridge, all without any model builder software. You need model builder all scans for creating implant cases from raw digital data and obviously creating models.

C

cap_yk

Reaction score
No. Not sure what that is.

If you want to build and print digital models, you will need the "Model Builder - 3rd party" module. This enables you to build models from raw intra - oral scans from 3rd party(meaning NOT 3shape TRIOS) intra - oral scanners.

3shape has 3 different options for the model builder module
TRIOS - enabled to build and print only TRIOS intra - oral scans
3RD PARTY - enabled to build and print only 3rd party intra - oral scans
ALL SCANS - enabled to build and print all types of intra - oral scans

Once you purchase the model builder module, the software will allow you to import .3OXZ files into your system. When your doctor does a scan, he will send it to the 3M Connection Center where they can process the file into a .3OXZ format which will import into your system attached with prescription information as well as margin and scan data. I'm not 100% sure if you need to get your dongle enabled specially for 3M .3OXZ files

Read this PDF from 3M's official site for more info:
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1056085O/trusted-connection-to-3shape-workflow.pdf

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have heard that

1) You have to be a margin marking lab with 3m first,
2) All scan with 3shape is big bucks a yearly fee of $7500
3) 3m is working with 3shape to allow direct import via connection with out the ALL Scans module

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Pretty sure the yearly fee doe All Scans is not $7500. I think that's what the module costs. Annual fee is somewhere around $1200...

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
We just started accepting 3M scans

There is no fee, however..... The first 30 cases sent must have the margins marked by an outsource lab. This is done automatically. They charge $8 a unit. Total rip off IMO.
Then models can be made for you at $20 or you can import scans into your software

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Hold it,
is there a fee for All Scans or not?

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
We just started accepting 3M scans

There is no fee, however..... The first 30 cases sent must have the margins marked by an outsource lab. This is done automatically. They charge $8 a unit. Total rip off IMO.
Then models can be made for you at $20 or you can import scans into your software
Just an FYI - I was a margin marking lab when the product first came out. I quit doing it for other labs because $8 was not nearly enough to compensate for the time and frustration involved in deciphering most of the horrendous digital impressions I received. I wouldn't do it for $80.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
The new true def scans are MUCH better than the original COS,

So the all scans is only 7500 initially with the 1200 yearly support?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Just an FYI - I was a margin marking lab when the product first came out. I quit doing it for other labs because $8 was not nearly enough to compensate for the time and frustration involved in deciphering most of the horrendous digital impressions I received. I wouldn't do it for $80.
The new true def scans are MUCH better than the original COS,

So the all scans is only 7500 initially with the 1200 yearly support?

yet 3 Shape does sweet fa to promote their Trios ready labs.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Agreed that its better. But would you rather spend 5 minutes designing a $149 FCZ or marking a margin for $8?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Of course I never want to use their software but if a client or potential client has this new unit I have to find a way to make it worthwhile.

Just had the unit in my lab this last week and was shocked at how much smaller and faster the scanner was. Still had to use powder but big improvement the COS was crap

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
you can outsource your model designs.. like we do with carestream (avoids the all scans)
or you can buy CAD points from 3shape.. about $12 in CAD points for one model... I can outsource the model design for $7 and have it sent straight to argen, so this makes more sense for us doing a few crowns a month

I was quoted 1500 yearly and 7200.00 up front. but that was a while ago.. it may have droped for 2015.
I expect it will drop further when 3shape realizes their allscans module is being bypassed

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I am glad this thread is still here. The doctor that wanted me to find out about how we could accept True Def scans from him never ended up sending any in.....until today. :) Thanks for all your responses. Very helpful.