3shape temporaries

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Question. If doc wants temps and I want to design and mill them...what is the process? Here's what I did, tell me if I'm off track and making things too complicated.

Set as temps in 3shape, scan, design.
I get to the virtual prep and I set it to .6mm reduction. I figure this will make them as thin as possible which will allow for more room of should the doc not take off a full 1mm. I mill them out. At this point I should just polish them, stain them if needed and send them on there way. But I'm curious as to how it will go down chairside. So I prep the model reducing a min of 1mm. They don't fit at all. So i spend and hour carefully using quick check spray till they "fit." Is this what the doc is going to go through?!?
What should I expect on cases like this?

top is final design. middle is virtual prep based off design, bottom is virtual prep with preop situation in blue.

JC Temp bridges.png
JC Temps.jpg

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
let me get this straight

you have a preop, and you have a waxup?

the virtual reduction should happen based on the preop, not the final design. nothing will ever fit this way.

aside from that, yes this is what the doc will go through. albeit a more experienced prep hand (i should hope).

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
let me get this straight

you have a preop, and you have a waxup?

the virtual reduction should happen based on the preop, not the final design. nothing will ever fit this way.

aside from that, yes this is what the doc will go through. albeit a more experienced prep hand (i should hope).
I have just the preop that I scanned. It had me mark margins then it magically cut away the preop teeth to be designed and then let me design. Yes, the virtual prep was done to the design and not to the preop.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
then i suggest you to sculpt the preps so they fit inside the area bound by the preop scan.

you should be able to correlate the scans and temps that way.

what i have always done is prep a model by hand and scan unsectioned, to design freeform. this allows to see the insertion before you go ahead.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
then i suggest you to sculpt the preps so they fit inside the area bound by the preop scan.

you should be able to correlate the scans and temps that way.

what i have always done is prep a model by hand and scan unsectioned, to design freeform. this allows to see the insertion before you go ahead.

For my diagnostics I do preop so i know the milled wax will fit model perfectly and give a good presentation. I just wanted to use the software cause it's easier. I think I'll lightly prep the replica model and rescan that so the design will morph to it. I think I'll feel better that way.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Oh but time! I always forget about time and how it hates my guts again!!:(

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
So you scanned the prep, and the waxup. Good. You selected, "temporary crown." Good. Then you designed and milled over virtual preps. Good, no problem there.
But two things. Why did you spend time adjusting a stone cast to fit? It would have made more sense to minimally prep the stone cast, scan it, then used "Temp on prep model." You kind of worked backwards there.
Second,
These 3Shape designed provisional shells rarely fit well. But we still do them all the time. Cause when it works well the results are outstanding compared to what a doctor fabricates chair side. So don't feel bad if the doc has to spend a lot of time to get what glidwell calls, "BioTemps," to fit well.
I often do this, but never fit them to a model. Otherwise I would prep the model with reduction burs and work forward.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
So you scanned the prep, and the waxup. Good. You selected, "temporary crown." Good. Then you designed and milled over virtual preps. Good, no problem there.
But two things. Why did you spend time adjusting a stone cast to fit? It would have made more sense to minimally prep the stone cast, scan it, then used "Temp on prep model." You kind of worked backwards there.
Second,
These 3Shape designed provisional shells rarely fit well. But we still do them all the time. Cause when it works well the results are outstanding compared to what a doctor fabricates chair side. So don't feel bad if the doc has to spend a lot of time to get what glidwell calls, "BioTemps," to fit well.
I often do this, but never fit them to a model. Otherwise I would prep the model with reduction burs and work forward.
OMH! Haha!
No. I just took the preop model and scanned it. That's it. I designed the temps and performed the virtual prep (pictured above) which is how the temps intaglio milled out. I figured the process is set up so you don't have to check to model or do a scan of prepped model as intaglio of virtual preps will never match up perfect to however the doc preps teeth or the lab guy preps model, the principal is the socks on a rooster analogy...big hollow intaglio that will be filled with temp cement. BUT the reason I still tried to prep the model afterward was to see how close it would be if I prepped 1mm from model so I could see what it was going to be like for doctor. In this case, it seems like a hideous procedure.
Now I've done a light prep of my replica model and I'm going to use that. I'll still send both to doc and get feed back as to which works best.
6a01156e42deab970c01a3fad547f1970b-pi