3shape screw hole

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
How ya like my title:)

Is it possible using 3shape to create a true hole in a crown? I have in the past used the attachment /hole feature but it doesn't cut all the way through. It requires someone to punch out the hole by hand.
This is for a screw vent.
Thanks

C

CadGenius41

Reaction score
You cannot place a screw hole in a full contour crown, because the software will enforce the minimum thickness.
Set the order up as a Anatomical coping, design the crown, do a cutback at zero, the next step is Sculpt tool kit, choose Attachment Hole and place a hole in the crown

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
You cannot place a screw hole in a full contour crown, because the software will enforce the minimum thickness.
Set the order up as a Anatomical coping, design the crown, do a cutback at zero, the next step is Sculpt tool kit, choose Attachment Hole and place a hole in the crown

If you are using the 2013 version, if you extend the hole all the way through the restoration it cuts out the hole completely.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
How ya like my title:)

Is it possible using 3shape to create a true hole in a crown? I have in the past used the attachment /hole feature but it doesn't cut all the way through. It requires someone to punch out the hole by hand.
This is for a screw vent.
Thanks

Hey Ryan what version are using? I remember in 2012 I had that same issue. but when I got the 2013 version I no longer need to manually cut out the hole. You doing this for an abutment? Have you tried using an implant library kit and scan body so you don't have to cut out the hole

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score

Lol you know what that you can tell it no do not enforce minimum thickness right. In 2013 use the attachment hole 1.5mm hole extend the hole through the base of the crown and you should be good. My vhf master mill does with the basic cam software with no problem. Just don't enforce minimum thickness.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
even if you don't enforce minimum thickness, if you add an attachment called Hole via the attachment interface, you'll get a hole that extends into the die. it literally adds to the interface of the coping/crown (both) a cylinder that is not a hole. your mill will consider this your new die and will mill the bottom of the cylinder.

the only way to correctly get a hole was to place the cylinder above the interface and hope the mill chips the thin area so you dont have to trim it later.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
even if you don't enforce minimum thickness, if you add an attachment called Hole via the attachment interface, you'll get a hole that extends into the die. it literally adds to the interface of the coping/crown (both) a cylinder that is not a hole. your mill will consider this your new die and will mill the bottom of the cylinder.

the only way to correctly get a hole was to place the cylinder above the interface and hope the mill chips the thin area so you dont have to trim it later.

I don't believe that's correct. If you don't extend the hole through the crown, it leaves pieces of the crown floating in mid air. When importing into SUM3D and selecting abutment it doesn't read it as an abutment since there isn't a clear hole through the crown. This has happened to me several times. But if you extend the hole completely through the crown it leaves nothing. It doesn't take the bottom of the cylinder and make it the new prep, in 2012 it did, but not in 2013.

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'm running 2013.
When designing full contour, the hole appears to have a bottom. I tried the anatomical coping with zero cutback. It worked fine.
Thanks again

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I don't believe that's correct. If you don't extend the hole through the crown, it leaves pieces of the crown floating in mid air. When importing into SUM3D and selecting abutment it doesn't read it as an abutment since there isn't a clear hole through the crown. This has happened to me several times. But if you extend the hole completely through the crown it leaves nothing. It doesn't take the bottom of the cylinder and make it the new prep, in 2012 it did, but not in 2013.
ah. well then thats fine.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
You all see to be bickering about nonsensical things. The best way in the attachments section under shapes there is a hole feature that you can use the slider on to cut perfect holes and size them using MATH to the head size of your screw. It cuts them clean all the way through I do about 10 a day this way :) You could do it in the old version of the software too but you had to know the trick :)

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
You all see to be bickering about nonsensical things. The best way in the attachments section under shapes there is a hole feature that you can use the slider on to cut perfect holes and size them using MATH to the head size of your screw. It cuts them clean all the way through I do about 10 a day this way :) You could do it in the old version of the software too but you had to know the trick :)
Would you explain MATH (and the slider) a bit more? I am running 2014 2nd version. I have been able to cut holes using the "hole" attachment, but I am attempting to line them up to existing screw holes in custom abutments that I did not construct. They are either impressions of the abutments in the mouth or removed and scanned. I have been filling the abut hole almost to the top with wax so i don't end up with a "die" that shows the interior... just enough to line up the hole attachment at the correct angle. It works but with only a 1.5 or 3mm diameter to choose from, I often end up too small or large. Too small leaves junk on the inside of the crown. Any suggestions or a way to adjust the diameter? Here's a screen shot of a smaller hole lined up into the abutment...
small-hole-entering-abutment.jpg

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
Don't Inforce min thickness after you cut the hole.

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
I don't think I did.
I think the internal tag is a leftover from the scan reading the hole in the abutment and attempting to cover it. I think the smaller hole left some free space? any way you know of tho control the hole diameter freely?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Under attachments/parametric shapes there is a hole feature that you can alter the size. When I say do the math if the head of the screw is 2mm and you angle correct it you have to compensate for this by opening the hole more.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
It works in 2013 as well but it does not open a hole like the image above, only in 2014 will it put a hole through and through, finally that bug got fixed.

Top Bottom