3shape - scanning bite record instead of antagonist

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
Guys...
I know there have been some threads about this but still have some step-by step questions, mainly because i have never done bite scans. I always thought you used the wax-up net holder device for this procedure?!?!

1) assuming I have an accurate bite record, is this an accurate method as opposed to scanning upper & lower together?

2) Is the bite simply attached and scanned on the prep model when the order is set to "antagonist bite"?

I have a client who does not take opposing impressions on small cases with quadrant trays. We used to mount these on hinge articulators and pour the bite - in place - and attach that to the opposite side of the articulator in one shot, It always worked great for traditional non-scanned case-work but now I've been mounting on very small hinges and scanning both sides, separately and then together.
The problem comes in if the bite doesn't capture enough of the facial surfaces and won't provide enough data to self-align.

Will scanning the bite, in place on the prep arch work for this?

Thanks all !!!

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
Edward,
don't forget about the help panel..
bit scans have been a PITA with every system I've been on... but I think scanning the bite is what you need to do.
yes you have it set up right

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Guys...
I know there have been some threads about this but still have some step-by step questions, mainly because i have never done bite scans. I always thought you used the wax-up net holder device for this procedure?!?!

1) assuming I have an accurate bite record, is this an accurate method as opposed to scanning upper & lower together?

2) Is the bite simply attached and scanned on the prep model when the order is set to "antagonist bite"?

I have a client who does not take opposing impressions on small cases with quadrant trays. We used to mount these on hinge articulators and pour the bite - in place - and attach that to the opposite side of the articulator in one shot, It always worked great for traditional non-scanned case-work but now I've been mounting on very small hinges and scanning both sides, separately and then together.
The problem comes in if the bite doesn't capture enough of the facial surfaces and won't provide enough data to self-align.

Will scanning the bite, in place on the prep arch work for this?

Thanks all !!!

some disadvantages to the bite scan system. 1. no virtual articulation. which means no virtual re-positioning of antagonist to "close" any open areas. so creating accurate crowns can be a dice roll at best.

2. bite stability can be an issue. often bites don't sit on the model 100% and ride high, sometimes they tend to fall off.

3. often you will have to spray the bite. i neednt tell you why this is a bad idea.

just scan the opposing. yes it can be harder to do - its worth the pain at the end of the day.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
patients are frozen

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
crying-asian-man-o.gif

skdawl

skdawl

Reaction score
Just get scannable bite materials and make your life easier.