3shape IVOCLAR pricing

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Quite a few scanners use putty to secure models... not just 3shape...

Oh yeah? What other Dental scanner does not come with a vise-style clamp to hold a model??

Don't they all include this, except 3shape? Please explain.....I have owned pretty much all except a 3shape.

GAP, if this makes/breaks the deal for ya, then I will gladly open your scanner crate and remove the $1000 worth of awesome fixtures to make the Medit scanner same as 3shape! LOL

You can use ghetto-clay and putty and make yourself happy then?

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Yes, If you skip years of upgrades with Exocad and decide later, you want the latest you are forced to pay all the catch up fees for the years you didn't upgrade.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
So, who sells 3shape still in the US?

Only CAP and Glidwell left? I bet within One year Glidwell moves to exocad. It will happen.

Any other decent resellers out there?

Jason you are buying a 3shape now? At least you currently have a scanner that has value and you can sell it with no problems. BUT....Buy that 900 and you are married to it for life! No way out. Practically impossible to sell used and when you quit paying it will be a boat anchor.

My contributions are just facts John. Your opinion is spewing out false claims.
If you find anything I said untrue, then go ahead and point it out please.

Otherwise, I am just saying it like it is.

You and Tyler seem to think the cost is the same or a wash, I just showed you it is not even close to compare the cost as well as correcting you both on some other facts. That's all.

Nothing slanted at all, and I'm sure anyone reading would agree.

For the Tenth time John.....exocad does not have manditory fees. If you do want updates, then they are $1000 per/year. THIS IS AN OPTION!

The major difference is the price of the license renewal, and of course you have the option not to pay and just keep what you already own. With 3shape, you own NOTHING! Can't even sell it without paying the piper. LOL This is the MAJOR difference that really means something.

Not forced into something. Anyone can easily understand this concept, except you and Tyler. This is a very big difference that is very much so worth discussing, as you can see by the posts and concerns of people getting into this

We get it, that you won't acknowledge this as an important buying decision for yourself, but for others out there who are shopping on a budget....THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW!

Good for you if you like your 3shape. The rest of us will get the same functions for less than 1/2 the cost, and have something to sell when we are finished with it. Either selling the CAD, or scanner, or both. You cannot do this with a 3shape.

This is also a major factor when buying equipment.

OK, you don't agree and I don't care what you think personally, but the rest of us do care about that stuff. Stop being so hard-headed and accept the facts!

You start this thread all about initial cost, then end up saying, "Who cares about the cost if you really think about it...." LOL

Make up your mind. Is the cost a factor or not? If not, then what the fok is this thread about anyways?

...and Biomet, DENTSPLY, and CMC. How do you figure I don't own my 3Shape? Yeah I don't own the software, but I own the machine, and I'm sure if I want to sell it I can. It doesn't cost me anything. The person buying it pays a one time license fee then pays the yearly every year after that. Yes there are some things with 3Shape that suck, yearly fee being $2000 is one of them. If they had it at $1000 then you wouldn't have any problem cuz then Exocad and 3Shape's license fee and optional upgrade fee would be the same. Would I like to have a clamp holder come with the scanner instead of paying $600 for it, yes.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Your Machine is worthless without paying for the CAD over and over...

You cannot just sell the scanner.

Scanner does not function just as a stand-alone scanner, like the Medits.

Medits have their own software WITHOUT a Dongle.

Scanner functions all by itself, and can be sold to anyone without stupid fees, AND you can keep the CAD if you choose.

The difference Shane is Night and Day! No comaprison at all!

Good luck selling your used 3shape when the time comes.

There is no option with 3shape for upgrades/fees.

You must pay every year. Even if you do not take the software updates! LOL

How do you know what the fees will be in the years to come? Maybe they raise the price and then what??

You would not have to worry about this with a Medit/exocad.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, If you skip years of upgrades with Exocad and decide later, you want the latest you are forced to pay all the catch up fees for the years you didn't upgrade.

No.

I sell new replacement Dongle for only $3000.
Then, you have Two dongles!
Sell the older to help offset the cost of a new One.

So, Buy a system, wait years and skip any payments....then buy another Dongle for $3000
You get the latest version and future updates for the next year.
Sell you original Dongle (With no stupid license transfer fees) for $1000-$2000

I already explain this Bob.

Then, cost to get latest version would be $3000 minus the price you sell the original dongle for!

Sooo much cheaper than 3shape. We have already been over this.

There is an extreme difference in cost Bob.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
I know it doesn't function as a stand alone scanner, I get that. But I can sell it. If Joe Blow down the road wants to buy, then he can buy it. All I do is sell it to him, he then pays a fee to 3Shape for not being a customer already. I think it's the same amount as adding a second design station, maybe more. I've heard nothing but good things about Exocad, so I'm not going to talk $hit about it. I've never used it before. We went the 3Shape route over 3 years ago. Not sure what exocad's place in the scanning world was then, but 3Shape was what everyone was talking about. Something must be right with 3Shape, since they continue to sell them. Maybe not at the same rate they have been in years past.

So here is a question Scott, how does the Medit scanner work? I mean if Exocad doesn't power the scanner, do you have to use the Medit software then import into exo? This is a real question not trying to be d!ck. Trust me I would love to not have to pay a fee every year. And if that mean going with a scanner that supports Exocad then maybe that's an option I should look into. And with Exocad, it comes with abutment module, and bar modules? These aren't add-on's?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
I will say it again...

You have THREE choices of how to scan.

1) using scanner software only. Forget exocad for a moment. Now this functions just like any Industrial scanner. No Dongle, no fees. Scanner comes with it's own CD and scanning software. :)

2) using the same Medit scanner software, but as launched by exocad from normal Dental work-flow.... files get written in correct place with correct name in conjunction with exocad.

3) exoscan is the third option. No seperate window is opened and probably looks just like 3shape scanning. You would not see the Medit interface or the Medit software.

When you buy exocad, if you want bar or abutment (screw-retained bridges),it is less than $1000 from me.
This is One time fee. I am certian this too is cheaper than 3shape's prices.

I am pretty sure if you bought an implant module from 3shape, you don't own it.
You are just renting it year-by-year. Constantly paying over and over. No choice.

So, what do you think you have to sell again exactly??
Your asking price of used 3shape + $7000 license transfer fees + One year to have it run $2000= too much! LOL
You may be able to get a few thousand for a used 3shape....NOT $10k or anywhere even close to that.
Not after adding another $9000 that has to go to 3shape. That is just total B.S. IMO.

Scotty-Scott

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
To set up another design station, which meant buying a second dental manager license was around $5,500. Yeah why couldn't you sell it for $10,000? If someone was going to save $7,000 you think they wouldn't jump on it? The yearly fee wouldn't start till the next year. Yeah you pay a fee for every add-on with 3Shape, but it's not the one time fee of 3 or 4 grand, it's a few hundred bucks. Like I said I would love it if I didn't have to pay that crap. But until we switch, I pay it.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
What's the difference between the Medit software, and Exocad software? Is the quality crap, or is it just as good as Exocad?

French Cadman

French Cadman

Reaction score
Medit is the scanner and Exocad the dental sofware !

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
To set up another design station, which meant buying a second dental manager license was around $5,500.
OK, good for you. It is less than that for 2nd dongle of exocad, and no additional yearly fees.

Yeah why couldn't you sell it for $10,000?
Sell what? a used 3shape? Well there is One way to find out.....just try it and see what happens. A brand new scanner with exocad is $16,9k
So you want to sell for $10k, plus $7k license transfer fees, plus another $2k for the next year....all for used equipment? This equals $17k now.

If someone was going to save $7,000 you think they wouldn't jump on it?
Do what?? Explain more please..... I don't see any savings in your plan! LOL

The yearly fee wouldn't start till the next year. Yeah you pay a fee for every add-on with 3Shape, but it's not the one time fee of 3 or 4 grand, it's a few hundred bucks. Like I said I would love it if I didn't have to pay that crap. But until we switch, I pay it.
exocad Abutment module from me is One time fee of $1000. Bar module is only $800!! Runs forever. Where did you come up with $3 or 4 grand?? That is wrong.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
What's the difference between the Medit software, and Exocad software? Is the quality crap, or is it just as good as Exocad?

Medit software is for scanning. exocad is CAD. ???

exoscan is a "skin" that is just running the Medit software with a different look to it.

Nothing crap anywhere to be found.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
So far...nothing gained by going 3shape.

Not price, not function. You have no idea what new fees could be added in the years to come. Just like 3M has done recently and others.
You bought something, then the deal changes after the fact! Could happen! Just saying....

For Medit exocad.....

- Ability to sell either part at anytime without fees.
- Better fixturing system
- Lower initial cost.
- Lower long-term cost
- ability to scan larger models in occlusion
- Accuracy of structured-light scanning is better and faster (3shape finally accept this fact! LOL)
- faster scan times
- already partnered with itero for no additional fees.
- making partners with EVERY decent system/machine on the planet. FULLY OPEN!
- Soon to work with COS (maybe it does already? but that scanner is stupid anyways) and all open IOS systems for no fees.

Trios is B.S. closed system and will not become the standard. You do know this already, right?
It will be the same story with that 3shape product. You are just renting and have no control of the costs or functions.
Will be very limited partnerships with that thing. They are making their own closed-world of 3shape. Not very friendly.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score

the 3 or 4 grand was the 3Shape price!! It's a one time fee, but yes you pay a yearly fee of a few hundred bucks!

If a new 3Shape cost $22,000 and you can buy a used one for $10,000, pay under $6,000 for a new license...do you want a calculator? I'm not comparing 3Shape to Exocad, I'm saying if I want to sell a 3Shape, the person buying it is going to save money than buy a new! How hard is that to understand?

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Where do you get this fee to sell a 3Shape? I can't sell the software I understand that, but how do you figure I get charged for selling a scanner that I own?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Where do you get this fee to sell a 3Shape? I can't sell the software I understand that, but how do you figure I get charged for selling a scanner that I own?

Someone has to pay the license transfer fee. That is all I am saying. This is somehow going to be included in the person who is buying's cost to buy. Who pay this?? Does not matter, but someone has to pay this to 3shape, and new user must sign-up with a 3shape reseller.

No so with exocad.

Once you buy....you are free to do whatever you want.
You are not forced to deal with me or anyone! You technically do not need a reseller anymore if you choose.
You can walk away and do anything you want, never to be seen again.

It is weird that with 3shape, you must maintain a relationship with a reseller. Why?? What if that relationship goes sour?
Has happened many many times with CADBlu and other resellers of 3shape, and people get pissed that they cannot switch resellers as easily as they want.

That is another super-stupid reason not to buy a 3shape. LOL

I don't need to have a leash around my neck, constantly attached to some other company I must pay yearly. Actually Two companys. 3shape and the reseller.

It is a Triple-Marriage of Three companys you cannot get out of that easy! LOL

"No thank you", says me.

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
this is what I was talking about. How good is their own software. ???????

It is fantastic. Does anything a scanning software should, and it does it very fast.

If it was bad, I would be happy to tell you. I love to pick on things/machines that drive me crazy, even if I own/sell them.

Honesty is not a problem I have with my personality. I tell it like it is! No holds barred!

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Someone has to pay the license transfer fee. That is all I am saying. This is somehow going to be included in the person who is buying's cost to buy. Who pay this?? Does not matter, but someone has to pay this to 3shape, and new user must sign-up with a 3shape reseller.

No so with exocad.

Once you buy....you are free to do whatever you want.
You are not forced to deal with me or anyone! You technically do not need a reseller anymore if you choose.
You can walk away and do anything you want, never to be seen again.

It is weird that with 3shape, you must maintain a relationship with a reseller. Why?? What if that relationship goes sour?
Has happened many many times with CADBlu and other resellers of 3shape, and people get pissed that they cannot switch resellers as easily as they want.

I don't need to have a leash around my neck, constantly attached to some other company I must pay yearly. Actually Two companys. 3shape and the reseller.

It is a Triple-Marriage of Three companys you cannot get out of that easy! LOL

"No thank you", says me.

I don't think it's a transfer fee. I think the person buying the scanner has to buy the license from whatever re-seller they choose. I totally agree with ya man. I hate having to call Biomet on a question regarding my 3shape. One time I called 3Shape, and they were like "you need to contact your re-seller." I told him "if I buy a Coke, do I call Pepsi to complain?" that makes no sense to me. Like I said before, when we decided to not use Dental Wings, and was looking for another scanner 3Shape was the industry standard, so to speak. They had more clout than the next guy. Would I do it differently, of course I would. I don't want to say that I'm stuck with 3shape, it's been great for us. But I also have the Etkon scanner which is impossible to unload, and the Nobel(which we are only leasing for at the moment). It's hard to let things go, especially if you can't recoup your investment. With the Etkon I'm sure we have done enough Straumann abutments with it, in the 6 years that it's saved us on sending to Straumann or somebody else with a scanner to have paid for itself. I take what you say on here very seriously(well most of the time) especially when it comes to the digital aspect of the business.
I'm a No Holds Barred guy too!
no-holds-barred-movieextreme-avi-img-448370.jpg

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score

Second that....my relationship went quite sour with the reseller I bought my 3shape from...they wanted to charge me $4.2k for renewal fee (single seat, no implant module, just basic stuff)...after wasting lots of time being on the phone either with them or the 3shape HQ...still couldn't get nowhere...finally I told them where to kiss and sent the dongle back to them... Too bad Exo just started out back then, was relatively unknown...weren't too many good choices out there....:(

So, anybody wanting to jump onto the 3shape bandwagon. ..do your due diligence before you commit...make sure you got all your sides covered before you sign the deal... get a lawyer to lighten up the finprint legal mumbo-jumbo for ya...my $0.02