3Shape "Holes"

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Because of the collective infinite wisdom of the powers that be at NobelBiocare that have made it impossible to design an abutment and a crown simultaneously, I have been trying to find a solution to designing a screw-retained restoration with a genuine Nobel connection.

I started with designing the abutment and remitting it to Nobel for milling. Once I received the abutment, I then scanned it and designed the crown to be cemented to the abutment. I attempted to put a "hole" in the crown approximately where the screw hole for the abutment was located. But, instead of putting a hole through the crown, the function pierces the outer surface of the design, but becomes a positive on the inner surface.

First, I realize I could do this with a Nobel scanner and their Ti insert, but I really don't like designing abutments in that software. Second, I know I could use an off-brand abutment or Ti insert - its just not an option for this particular case and others to follow.

Of course, the best solution would be for Nobel to allow such designs, but I've been doing business with them since 1987 and I don't expect any miracles...

Any ideas?

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Can you make a partial occlusal hole?

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Yes - I did that after I posted. If I positioned the hole image just off the "prep" surface, it doesn't create the positive on the inner surface. Its a "partial" solution. Its gonna to require some hand-finishing to get the result I want. Was just hoping someone had a magic bullet...

user name

user name

Reaction score
Dont laugh...Im trying. I know you want a digital solution; This requires some work. When I do screw retained crowns, Ive taken an old bur and stick it in the handpiece butt-end out. I spin it fast and lathe it down with a diamond so it will just fit snug in the screw hole.I cut it down to length so it will wont interfere with the bite. Insert into the abutment and mist some scan spray and there you go. My screw hole is now a post. Wax or plastic would do the same, but Ive been doing it with old burs from the hand wax technique. Metal is easy to wax to and slip out.

Im using 3shape 2012, and theres a pretty simple hole feature. In sculpt tool kit, select attachment. Just make sure you have your anatomy completed before placing the hole.

Last edited:
Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
Because of the collective infinite wisdom of the powers that be at NobelBiocare that have made it impossible to design an abutment and a crown simultaneously, I have been trying to find a solution to designing a screw-retained restoration with a genuine Nobel connection.

I started with designing the abutment and remitting it to Nobel for milling. Once I received the abutment, I then scanned it and designed the crown to be cemented to the abutment. I attempted to put a "hole" in the crown approximately where the screw hole for the abutment was located. But, instead of putting a hole through the crown, the function pierces the outer surface of the design, but becomes a positive on the inner surface.

First, I realize I could do this with a Nobel scanner and their Ti insert, but I really don't like designing abutments in that software. Second, I know I could use an off-brand abutment or Ti insert - its just not an option for this particular case and others to follow.

Of course, the best solution would be for Nobel to allow such designs, but I've been doing business with them since 1987 and I don't expect any miracles...

Any ideas?
We do exactly what you did there, but leave a very thin amount of material between the hole and the die interface. You can get it thin enough that the it just disintegrates when milled. If anything, you smooth the area with a diamond bur post sintering.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Are you using the correct attachment that cuts a hole? Its really easy and mills out perfectly.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
Are you using the correct attachment that cuts a hole? Its really easy and mills out perfectly.
What are you doing to get the hole all the way through? This is what we have gotten the last few versions. This is with holes selected.
upload_2014-12-31_11-6-26.png upload_2014-12-31_11-6-43.png upload_2014-12-31_11-7-8.png

Fogember

Reaction score
To use "holes" in 3Shape you need to create the crown as an "anatomical coping". When in the anatomical design step place the hole and it will be through.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
To use "holes" in 3Shape you need to create the crown as an "anatomical coping". When in the anatomical design step place the hole and it will be through.
Kind of dumb that it has to be done that way, but it worked. Thanks!

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks!!!

prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score
I touch my imes icore 450 only when the hole comes out of facial.
Scan body and Tibase is the best thing has happened to our lab.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
The screw access hole is on the lingual, why not use the NT training scan body /Tibase solution.

Why bother with abutment and all.

Golly, why didn't I think of that...

(The point was that the dentist is insisting upon a genuine Nobel connection).

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
Nobel really hasn't taken the time to get "up to speed" on 3shape... too big for their superman undies I suppose.
I get min thickness errors constantly, and it doesn't show me where to correct the errors (I was told by Nobel... just keep pushing thru and ignore the errors)... I finally quit trying and send files somewhere else... somewhere that has a 3shape clue, and customer service/ support
if you haven't noticed... not real happy with nobel lately

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I found if you have the hole reach past the inner wall then it will mill it as an extension, Just barely have the corner pierce the inner wall and you will be fine, having it go all the way trough will no work. Then simply take a bur and clean it out.

L

labtek

Reaction score
Nobel Biocare has ignored lab owners feedback for lab software and zirconia restorations the last couple of years. 5-7 years ago they were leaders of the pack, now they are playing catch up. I hope they get on board and come up with more solutions for accepting 3shape files and produce better zirconia restorations. Their shading is way behind.

Top Bottom