3shape & hardware, going technical

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Faster - yes, but it is not exactly safe. We are keeping our scans same amount of time as dentists are obliged to keep models / scans here in UK - 5 years. If you are busy lab, using your pc 8h a day for scanning and designing you are getting close to SSD's lifespan. What we are doing now, we are using SSDs and storing important cases in a cloud - god performance and far better safety than any local storage :)
Read the TOS carefully. Most cloud storage has no duty to safeguard your data against loss, and are in the data non-locality business, not the safe backup business. Some few are, just be cautious.

T

Torquadon

Reaction score
Read the TOS carefully. Most cloud storage has no duty to safeguard your data against loss, and are in the data non-locality business, not the safe backup business. Some few are, just be cautious.

You are correct about TOS, but if you are using some well known and established cloud services - will not mentioned them, do not want to advertise -you are still safer than storing data on your hard drive, even if TOS does not guarantee you 100% safety.

I do not think that there is such a thing like full protection against data loss, I am only saying that in my opinion cloud storage is your best bet.

Last edited:
eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Sure there is protection against data loss. this is what we do - we use the Nimble Cloud Storage system - and have 2 units. One is onsite - that does a double back up in Raid 0 style.

We have the SAME exact clone at our IT company's server farm out in Chantilly. Should I ever literally disintegrate the lab, I could pull the second Nimble from the Server farm and plug it into a rack and be up and running

Conversely we also have AWS backup

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Any thoughts or opinions on this off-the-shelf computer from Costco? I'd use the 128GB SSD for the system and keep cases on the 2TB HDD. Don't know if the 6GB graphics card is overkill?

https://www.costco.com/CyberpowerPC...orce-GTX-1060-Graphics.product.100333329.html

its not terrible, but its not really ever going to get fully utilized.

you will see the same performance on that machine vs anything made 10 years ago.

3shape simply isnt optimized to use multicore cpu or gpu hardware.

the only good thing youve got going on this machine is that you use nvidia hardware - because AMD (ATX) hardware is prone to faulty drivers with 3shape.

this machine would be not bad as a CAM workstation but it wont be terribly useful for CAD. save yourself 500 bucks and get this instead https://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-Tower---Intel-Core-i7--2GB-NVIDIA-Graphics.product.100336261.html

same performance.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
been doing some test runs on 16.4 with different graphics cards. I actually think CPU power isn't too big of the concern. But i am definitely seeing post post processing lag on the D2000 with a 2GB "stock" from ivoclar PC using a 950GTX vs running it on a 1070-1080 GTX (scan wise).

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
But i am definitely seeing post post processing lag on the D2000 with a 2GB "stock" from ivoclar

This PC combo SUCKS big time!!! I don't know if it is the 3shape software or both, but it sucks.

And with the price tag it comes with, you can build almost a 'super computer'...

I never felt so much lagging with ZirkonZahn and their stock computer.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
making my own ryzen system part by part over the next 4 months, so i can properly ragequit my vidya gaems.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
lol shows everyone's age range. let me add in my .O2

- the set up for APM on the 3Shape is just to meta
- g3t 0n my L3V3L
- R1 CAD design
- It's all about the gold Parses - not casted doe

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Guys..i need to geek help. My GTX960 is packing up when i'm planning on Implant studio and designing. what card would be reasonable without going over the top.
Thanks.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Guys..i need to geek help. My GTX960 is packing up when i'm planning on Implant studio and designing. what card would be reasonable without going over the top.
Thanks.
No less then a 980ti, i would go 1080 they all have 8gb ram and good cuda cores. Also make sure you have at least 64gb of ram as well. Implant studio is a hog.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
just fork the money for the Titan Z :)

I've also noticed that all the version from 16.1 onwards (we're on 16.4) - seem to be extremely resource heavy

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
it was more of a joke. I have a Titan Z but for my gaming rig. the 1080 is more than enough

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
So the graphics card was not the issue.
Implant studio only allows 4gb graphics car ram to be used for the program. it will only get to about 8gb of ddr before memory notifications start coming up. I cant figure it out. Any ideas?