3Shape 2015 and Splitfile w/ Nobel specifically

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
hey all, we are thinking of upgrading one of our software stations to 2015, specifically to be able to do Nobel (at Nobel) with splitfiles..
Nobel is currently the only system we haven't "nailed down" in streamlined production

rolling the software back to 13 isn't really feasible to be able to crank out abutments/ crowns with all the errors.
our split files will be zir/ or wax in house with some slm done at argen..

anyone doing a lot of split files with Nobel and in house milling? what kind of errors occur? (by a lot, I consider 5-10 a day with an already full workflow)

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Andrew I only do split file design on zirpress crowns and bridges. Just a 6 unit posterior and 6 unit anterior and the wax drops right on the Zr frame. But design and abutment and crown then mill in house and send out the abutment never got a good success rate on fit. The abutment has to be design just right, no sharp edges nothing crazy like a flat wall with 45 edges. I tried multiple time on 2014 and also in 2015.3.1 and now on 2015.5.0. I only will use a split file technique when I design the crown for abutment design underneath it for hard angled cases and out of the normal cases then I scrap the crown design and wait for the abutment to arrive then re-scan it.

Take into consideration you design your abutment. will it be the exact same size or will you have to drop your margins even more once you get it back, i prefer to do it right and have to do it twice if I can help it. But this is my experience.

I only design nobel abutment and have them mill them no split file, only in house attempts.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
I have excellent fit with argen..
some nobel, but a lot of errors
and Straumann... the fit is precise... excellent in fact

we currently do
everything from abutments at Straumann/ zir/wax in house
Nobel/wax/zir in house (posteriors in 2013)
argen abutment/ zir/ wax in house
Argen abutment with argen dpm/slm.
I have done 100's of SF abutments in the past 2 years.

the company I just started with has been unable to do them until now, and I thought Straumann was going to be my hurdle in getting up to speed... and I really don't understand why so many labs are having trouble, or are so "against" utilizing one of the most impressive aspects of the CAD process

I don't have issues with fit on any of the above... including sharp angled abutments

rarely do I need to drop a margin.. and if I feel I may need to, i'll do it when the abutment returns
I've had multiple positive comments from a variety of experienced tech/ and owners, I know my work is spot on.

I have, for the most part, cut our abutment "re-scan" time out of the picture, with a much, much better fit

my issues lie strictly with Nobel and splitfile errors that ppl are experiencing in 2013
vs 2015 software. i'm used to v2.9.9.5 and am currently in 2.9.9.3, which acts differently when designing Nobel under 2013 (selected in the order)

the Dr's we are working with want like-on-like, and the owner wants to keep his Nobel referral base intact, otherwise I would use Argen and Axis again for the bulk of my work

I would really like to know ppls experience with splitfiles in 2015, specifically Nobel abutments manufactured at Nobel w/ in-house manufacturing
before I get on the phone to tech support at Nobel.

I need to know more of "how" rather than "can't" or "don't"

thanks

Last edited: