Creating Natural Dentures TechBook

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Its being a dental tech, dark and gloom are a way of life.
I am cross trained as assistant and office manager. I have the same last name and can be trusted with their accounts. I will most likely die with this practice.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
Festooning is something I am particularly interested in improving. Do you have any sources for learning it beyond "take a pretty model and match it" I am not very artsy. It is very difficult for me to minds eye artsy. Building plans are better, I understand every case is different. I have zero issues being able to adapt, just need a solid foundation. I have only been in dentures for a two years next January.

well actually, the first thing to realize is that the festooning isn't just for looks, there is actual function behind why we festoon a specific way. Secondly, I would highly recommend taking Ivoclar's Denture classes or anyone else for that matter, Heraeus etc etc - you want to see other people's work - up close - and then copy as much of it as possible

Some day you may have to festoon digitally on a Screen and you want to make sure you're ready for that.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
I am cross trained as assistant and office manager. I have the same last name and can be trusted with their accounts. I will most likely die with this practice.
did you just reply to yourself?! lol

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
well actually, the first thing to realize is that the festooning isn't just for looks, there is actual function behind why we festoon a specific way. Secondly, I would highly recommend taking Ivoclar's Denture classes or anyone else for that matter, Heraeus etc etc - you want to see other people's work - up close - and then copy as much of it as possible

Some day you may have to festoon digitally on a Screen and you want to make sure you're ready for that.
I have taken a bunch of ivoclar courses going again in October for a refresher with my brother. I am excited about digital once it gets there for removable.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
well then good sir, you need to spend some more time practicing (please don't take offense to the comment :( )

festooning is a bit of an art form, but it's also integral for any good denturist. bulky festooning means lack of patient compliance, and also, it takes a special denturist to know how to adapt festoon to make it look super natural.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
well then good sir, you need to spend some more time practicing (please don't take offense to the comment :( )

festooning is a bit of an art form, but it's also integral for any good denturist. bulky festooning means lack of patient compliance, and also, it takes a special denturist to know how to adapt festoon to make it look super natural.
I do and am I don't take offense to much, I need to learn a ton still. My hands cant always do what I want them to.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I just want to get better I want to be a 30 year tech by tomorrow, patience and practice.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
310fb346d53f058617f435b2bfd0cae0.jpg
157aa8f34141895e0fcae453fd99649e.jpg
f18dbdd3ac07d6bf71707e818a0a19f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Need help with protrusive contacts, and anterior placement/coupling. I just don't know where to go.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
P
Festooning is something I am particularly interested in improving. Do you have any sources for learning it beyond "take a pretty model and match it" I am not very artsy. It is very difficult for me to minds eye artsy. Building plans are better, I understand every case is different. I have zero issues being able to adapt, just need a solid foundation. I have only been in dentures for a two years next January.
yes. So is time the critical factor?

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Looks much better. You know what to do you just need repetition. That and refining your technique as you go will bring the speed.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Looks like mx buccal corridor needs to come out more, and lengthen bi's. interdental papillas look too pointy.. ) not > .. at least thats what i learned from tomz

D

dborla01

Reaction score
Looks much better, Kraver....a suggestion: the gingival margin should follow it's own form and not that of the tooth. Swissedent way back, came up with the concept of gingival form as it's own margin, irrespective of the tooth form. This concept applies to the anterior teeth also. The line between the tooth and the wax/acrylic margin should have no "ditch". Otherwise there exists a food-collection site. If you use a dedicated soft nylon-bristled boil out brush to smooth out that junction, you will be well on your way to accomplishing that objective. I am happy that you are so enthusiastic about your growth.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
P

yes. So is time the critical factor?
Time, which in real life I have plenty. How I schedule is key for me. 4 hours is plenty of time for that wax up, but making a custom tray, repair, and occlusion rim also takes me time. Thought that bristle brush technique worked very well in getting the natural contour. I may need a new roach carver its very old and been over heated to much and people(assistants/drs) use pointy things to pry.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Looks like mx buccal corridor needs to come out more, and lengthen bi's. interdental papillas look too pointy.. ) not > .. at least thats what i learned from tomz
Interdental papillas I can round out.
The bi's are at length of neck for the recommended ivoclar teeth. If I took off any more there would be recession which is points off on the practical.

Can you elaborate on the mx buccal corridor?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Looks much better, Kraver....a suggestion: the gingival margin should follow it's own form and not that of the tooth. Swissedent way back, came up with the concept of gingival form as it's own margin, irrespective of the tooth form. This concept applies to the anterior teeth also. The line between the tooth and the wax/acrylic margin should have no "ditch". Otherwise there exists a food-collection site. If you use a dedicated soft nylon-bristled boil out brush to smooth out that junction, you will be well on your way to accomplishing that objective. I am happy that you are so enthusiastic about your growth.

Any videos/photos on technique? Swissedent manual or anything to show?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Looks much better. You know what to do you just need repetition. That and refining your technique as you go will bring the speed.

Ya, repeat, repeat, repeat. As much as it sucks that I have failed it has made me a much better tech.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
The test, apparently my 12 of 12 occlusion on completed dentures translates to 6 of 12 on the wax up. I failed my test by .72%
Ouch...that blows!!! Kudos to you for taking it on the chin and swinging back to retake it and better yourself. May I suggest stop being a stand up dude, that shlt my start to wear off on the rest of us :p

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Ouch...that blows!!! Kudos to you for taking it on the chin and swinging back to retake it and better yourself. May I suggest stop being a stand up dude, that shlt my start to wear off on the rest of us :p
Well, the letters don't matter much to me I have seen CDTs that meant bubkus and vise versa. I have improved much since I have begun this process. Ultimately I want to give my Dad/Brother the best denture in town or elsewhere for that matter. I work for family and family means a great deal to me.