Creating Natural Dentures TechBook

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I feel like such a jerk, I glazed over after your email. That's pretty awesome, I have a 16mo old daughter I am in denial she is ever going to grow up.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
how the hell do you guys know you're ready?

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I feel like such a jerk, I glazed over after your email. That's pretty awesome, I have a 16mo old daughter I am in denial she is ever going to grow up.
She'll be all grown up and making you a Grandpa before you know it and you'll say "where did the time go? Just yesterday she was 16 months old". The time really does seem to go that fast. Don't sweat the small stuff like the test that you're stressing about. Enjoy what's important..... your family!

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Alrighty,
These are the photos JKraver sent me of his wax up.
Posted for critique:

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
It's great to see seasoned veterans techniques and how smooth and flowing they are.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Biggest thing I see is it looks like you were rushed.
You have way too much bulk, the lingual a of the lower anteriors weren't carved at all, the height of the carving at the necks is uneven.

Maybe you should do some waxing drills to establish a quick and uniform method that you can get through in say 1/2 hour or less.

That might help you manage the added pressure the exam brings to you.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
bd717b70da56025c90afbe5fc14b9dbd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
everything you lost points on was based on time/editing - if those are the photos of what you submitted - then the scoring was relatively accurate other than being a little aggressive.

From the first glance -
The profile from Denture Teeth to Acrylic/Wax - is too deep = bacteria and debris collector.

Festooning is again barely there and not indicative of helping food/debris move properly in the oral cavity.

If the contact paper marks are correct, you're totally shy on anterior centric contacts.

Border mold adaptation is not so good,

Post Dam/Post Palatal Seal is not so good (maybe from having removed it).

I don't remember what denture tooth you use for the exam but i don't see lingualized occlusal contacts.

To be perfectly honest it just seems like everything was super rushed and you just didn't get a chance to touch it up. Do you have a flat plane guidance tray to use for setting teeth up?

I really don't remember what the CDT exam is like, but these are things I would look for/fix/adjust if that came in for QC before it goes out.

On a completely unrelated note - the wax is WAY too thick - no one wants to feel like they have a gob of gum stuck to their palate. (I Don't think they judge on that, but for the future, on real cases, for sure)

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
@eyeloveteeth These photos are from 8-10 weeks after test in the bottom of my drawer, so some damage occured in plane transit/drawer time. I normally do a wax up over two days, let the eyes rest on a case overnight and finish it up. Plenty of things I would change given the time. Also in a normal case it wouldn't be waxed directly on and sealed to the model and I would use a lathe brush to define the border, but for brevity it is not required to be removed. It is probably better if it cant be removed since if it is removable it is shiftable. The palate is probably 2-2.5 baseplates which would be refined down to 2 baseplates after processing which is tolerated pretty well in the mouth. I have the flat setup plane for the stratos. I felt like it was set up on compensating curves pretty dang well. I normally set my dentures lingualized, but they want bilaterally balanced. As far as the marks I don't remember from school how to set in correct protrustive contacts on anterior. I know how my Drs like it, and its not how the judges like it.

I appreciate it, please keep feedback coming. I hope to improve exponentially before October.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
@eyeloveteeth I may have been trying to shirk the fact it wasn't good enough. Still quite bitter. I really do want to improve though.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
yeah man, no worries. Like everything else in the lab, if your doctors like it, that's all that matters day to day. For the CDT though, you have to know what they want.

Also, I will say this, while you know your accounts, if you can achieve what the CDT wants you to do, that generally also means you can go to any lab and more or less "learn" their preferences. However, if all your experiences is tailored towards just the place you are currently working, it may also indicate difficulty getting hired elsewhere - if that were to ever happen.

TO ME, all you need to do is learn what the CDT wants, and then learn how to get it done in the right time.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
yeah man, no worries. Like everything else in the lab, if your doctors like it, that's all that matters day to day. For the CDT though, you have to know what they want.

Also, I will say this, while you know your accounts, if you can achieve what the CDT wants you to do, that generally also means you can go to any lab and more or less "learn" their preferences. However, if all your experiences is tailored towards just the place you are currently working, it may also indicate difficulty getting hired elsewhere - if that were to ever happen.

TO ME, all you need to do is learn what the CDT wants, and then learn how to get it done in the right time.
I definitely get what your saying, but when your in house with your dad and brother and they are the dentist and are loving what your giving them, and you have no need to expand because they keep me plenty busy. They just want to advertise CDT in house.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
I definitely get what your saying, but when your in house with your dad and brother and they are the dentist and are loving what your giving them, and you have no need to expand because they keep me plenty busy. They just want to advertise CDT in house.

i hear ya, it's just nothing is absolute; some more solid than others but everything can change - especially business. not trying to paint a dark cloud, just wishing the best for another fellow dental tech :)

D

dborla01

Reaction score
Kraver, that is a pretty specially unique position to be in, with family members that are dentists.:) If they really like the work you do, that is a big win in this business. You sound like a guy who has a passion to learn a lot. In your place, I would take the exam again when it is offered, backed up with further knowledge and technique improvement to successfully jump through their hoops. ;) PS....the issue of festooning, etc stuck out at me as to an area that could be improved. :)

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Kraver, that is a pretty specially unique position to be in, with family members that are dentists.:) If they really like the work you do, that is a big win in this business. You sound like a guy who has a passion to learn a lot. In your place, I would take the exam again when it is offered, backed up with further knowledge and technique improvement to successfully jump through their hoops. ;) PS....the issue of festooning, etc stuck out at me as to an area that could be improved. :)
Festooning is something I am particularly interested in improving. Do you have any sources for learning it beyond "take a pretty model and match it" I am not very artsy. It is very difficult for me to minds eye artsy. Building plans are better, I understand every case is different. I have zero issues being able to adapt, just need a solid foundation. I have only been in dentures for a two years next January.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
i hear ya, it's just nothing is absolute; some more solid than others but everything can change - especially business. not trying to paint a dark cloud, just wishing the best for another fellow dental tech :)
Its being a dental tech, dark and gloom are a way of life.