Form labs 2

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
We are looking into getting a couple of these printers as well. Has anyone heard of using third party resins with it? I know you will have to put the resin in by hand, but it does have an open mode that I'm thinking will work.

We have tried some 3rd party resins in our older Form 1+ and not had much luck...been hit or miss. The resins from formlabs seem to always be up to snuff, some of the others we tried never printed correctly or made the resin tank cloud up very quickly. IMO best to stick with their resin for best results

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
Yes I bought one using the cast able resin haven some issues with internal accuracy been all over with cement gaps any helpful info would be appreciated

how do you orient your prints? I've found that letting the program orient and place the print files on its own with the supports usually works out best. Also a good cleaning and scrubbing with a toothbrush gets all the uncured/half-cured sticky resin off the prints also. Once the surfaces aren't tacky to the touch its ready to go into the light cure oven for a final cure

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
You will never get the accuracy/repeatability you want with these printers...but they are fun for the price.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
$$$
Z axis inaccuracy
Diagonal cross build platform inaccuracy
Post processing /curing dimensional inaccuracy
there are a few...

And you want how many microns of accuracy for crown and bridge models?

DLP/SLA models can "look" great but get someone who is in the know about metrics and they will blow the lid off all this BS about accuracy these companies quote.

You want cheap and dental accurate...? Me too... but it does not exist.

F

Freakin teeth

Reaction score
Fits are very hit and miss srinkage very evident on 4 unit bridge guy's thanks 4 reply. I do let program orientat print not the one click print I squirt alcohol inside coping with monomer dispenser to clean residual resin I'll try toothbrush they say that their working on it can only hope now

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
Well if printing models doesnt work out, you can always join a band..

keith goldstein

keith goldstein

Reaction score
Regarding FDA what is the specific product you wish to create requiring fda since depending on what it is, how long it stays in the mouth, you may or may not need to have this. More info would be helpful on what you perceive as requiring FDA. Please share.

R

Ritt

Reaction score
Regarding FDA what is the specific product you wish to create requiring fda since depending on what it is, how long it stays in the mouth, you may or may not need to have this. More info would be helpful on what you perceive as requiring FDA. Please share.

Many new polymers have been submitted to the FDA for approval on the last 6 months. Many will be approved by early next year. Only one company has received FDA approval and they are re-patenting their materials before release later this year.

Solaris

Solaris

Reaction score
Got my form lab2 printer recently and we are in process to figure out the best setting to print the models.
We scanned an impression with Medit hybrid (exocad) and created a digital model and a Digital Crown and sent the files to print the model and the milling machine to mill the zirconia crown. At the same time we made a plaster model from the same impression and scanned it with my 3shape scanner and milled a zirconia crown too but the printed die seems to be smaller around the margin while both milled zirconia crowns were fine on the plaster model.
Does anyone know how I can fix this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
Got my form lab2 printer recently and we are in process to figure out the best setting to print the models.
We scanned an impression with Medit hybrid (exocad) and created a digital model and a Digital Crown and sent the files to print the model and the milling machine to mill the zirconia crown. At the same time we made a plaster model from the same impression and scanned it with my 3shape scanner and milled a zirconia crown too but the printed die seems to be smaller around the margin while both milled zirconia crowns were fine on the plaster model.
Does anyone know how I can fix this issue?

If you do some seraching on the Formlabs forums there's some ways to 'calibrate' your printer...on a basic level this is printing an object with known dimensions and measuring and adjusting the % size to adjust. Also realize that on this printer the most accurate position is directly in the center of the build platform, as you get further away the reflected light off the mirror can refract through the resin tank and cause a little inaccuracy.

IMHO I wouldn't use the model for an accurate margin, maybe just to hold the crown while you lightly finish it and rely on the accuracy of your milling machine

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
Most likely I am going to buy one, recently got a sample printed with 50 um layer thickness (the best it can do is 25 um) and it looks comparable to the output made by big $$$ printers. Will use it for digital diagnostic models, custom trays and guides...not doing too much metal these days to look into their burnout resin... It's relatively slow, planning to do overnight printing with it...so that's not an issue for me...

View attachment 22422 View attachment 22423
Very curious-- I do custom trays old school using acrylic... I charge $25 and make a little$$$. How much do you need to charge for a tray to turn a little profit?

Solaris

Solaris

Reaction score
If you do some seraching on the Formlabs forums there's some ways to 'calibrate' your printer...on a basic level this is printing an object with known dimensions and measuring and adjusting the % size to adjust. Also realize that on this printer the most accurate position is directly in the center of the build platform, as you get further away the reflected light off the mirror can refract through the resin tank and cause a little inaccuracy.

IMHO I wouldn't use the model for an accurate margin, maybe just to hold the crown while you lightly finish it and rely on the accuracy of your milling machine

Thanks you very much, I will try it out.
Cheers

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Very curious-- I do custom trays old school using acrylic... I charge $25 and make a little$$$. How much do you need to charge for a tray to turn a little profit?

I don't make much on custom trays...I do on the cases the tray's are made for ;)

DanM

DanM

Reaction score
Anybody out there that can print a couple models with the Form Labs 2? I've been waiting a few weeks for their sample, but figured I'd like to see it with a real model anyways.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
You can check 3dhubs.com
just refine your search for the formlabs 2 printer and it will show you people that have one and you can order a print from them.