Hybrid bar design

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I am wanting to get into designing/plasma welding my bars in house. I am wondering if anyone has any resources, or recommendations, or information on how to do this. I am wait listed to get into tom wades hybrid close by ivoclar.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I am wanting to get into designing/plasma welding my bars in house. I am wondering if anyone has any resources, or recommendations, or information on how to do this. I am wait listed to get into tom wades hybrid close by ivoclar.
Robert Hicks does laser assembly. He's made me some sweet bars in the past.
Used to instruct for BTI. Don't know if he still does.
If you can't find him here, you can on facebook

Beatrice

Beatrice

Reaction score
why you want to laser weld when you can use cad-cam technology??

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
5-7K for plasma welder, 25+K for a scanner and mill. You cannot repair a partial clasp with a mill, or weld ortho wires. If I get a welder bars would be another service I could offer my dentists.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
If I got into fixed a mill would make sense. I do not plan on it though, maybe down the road I did like C+B.

Beatrice

Beatrice

Reaction score
okay and have your ever heard about "outsourcing" service,
having access to couple millions dollars milling center at zero cost.
You have no investment, you get a piece manufactured by people that do that every day and bar is even designed by expert that only do that.

Like you said it you are thinking to do 200 bars per year it another story (still have have many many big big customer doing all outsourcing service because it better profit)

Anyway if you want more info send me a PM msg.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I am in house, I want to be able to fix partial clasps and weld ortho wires. I outsource my bars now. If I learn how to do them right I will not have to outsource them. We do quite a few hybrids a year.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Not sure what you meant by quite a few? Learning how to weld takes bit of time. More for
some, less for others. Being you are experienced in hybrids, you must have an understanding of
substructure support. Plasma type will take more time than an actual laser welder.
Dont throw out the idea of CadCam. Once making the investment of a scanner, I have found
out that there is a time savings. Less in the welder, more at the bench keeping up with work flow.
Either way you have full control of the design. Good Luck:)

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Ill definitely keep the option open, I am just small and low production so I have more time on my hands than a lab.