Scan body questions

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
There are many sources for scan bodies it is confusing me. Why do some of you have scan bodies from different sources. I am trying to figure this out before I jump in and buy scan bodies. Can't you use scan bodies from one source and use them for everything? Thanks

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
depends on what implant library you use or are planning to use

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Now I am more confused. I am ignorant here since I don't personally operate our CAD system, but what is an implant library?

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
what are you trying to accomplish with the scan bodies? are you milling implants? outsourcing?

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
Each scan body kit comes with a 3shape .dcm file that holds all the geometries of that kit. For instance, if you want a company to mill your implants for you, you will need to select a scan body kit that is compatible with what they use.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
The implant library is on the left and scan body on the right

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-07-31 14.06.11.png
    Screenshot 2014-07-31 14.06.11.png
    470.6 KB · Views: 143
DentalAxess

DentalAxess

Reaction score
The majority of implant kit manufacturers offer a library which can be used in the 3shape software. This library contains CAD files of the implant, the base, the screw, the scan body and so on. In order for the software to know the exact position of your implant you need to screw a scan body into your implant when scanning. The software will then align the CAD file of the scan body with the scan body of your scan. Since the software knows the position of the implant relative to the scan body, by aligning the CAD file of the scan body to your scan it knows the position of the implant in your scan.

You can basically use any scan body for any implant kit under two conditions: 1) the physical scan body can be screwed into the implant, and 2) the virtual scan body is aligned with the virtual implant in your library. This explains why some people use different scan bodies for the same implant kit, because they use a different library which contains the CAD file of their respective scan body.

Let me know if this makes sense...

Regards,
Dominic

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
I plan to outsource the milling for now. So, when I buy someones scan bodies where does their implant library come from, a download form that scan body supplier?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
scan body: a device that you screw to the model before scanning, which the software will use to recognize the position of the implant on the model.

implant library: a repository of information within your scan and design suite for use in aligning the scan body, adding titanium base where applicable, and allowing you to see screw position, etc.

now, using Cap's implant library vs using NT trading or 3i or medentika or atlantis.... the scan bodies are linked to how their implant libraries are positioned. so buying into one implant library system means relying on the same system for scan bodies

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
If you want full access to all implants....a truly open system, then you need DDG scan bodies and their library.

All others are closed to One milling center or One brand of pre-milled blanks and do not contain the actual interface, and/or only work for gluing Zr to an existing Ti base. (TOTAL Waste of $$)

Cannot make bars, screw-retained bridges, and many types of common implants with most all other implant libraries. NT Trading, etc are stupid.

Most only work for pre-milled blanks, and those do not contain all implant types used in the US.

Very limited use and much better options exist. DDG is also called target3d. We stock all of them, including the multi-abutments by most all manufactures for bridges and bars.

Buy Once, then enjoy. Don't get stuck with limited, closed implant option.

My thoughts.....

Last edited:
French Cadman

French Cadman

Reaction score
You have also the french scanbody , to take pleasure in working ….

DSCN7475.JPG

DSCN7474.JPG

;)

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
If you want full access to all implants....a truly open system, then you need DDG scan bodies and their library.

All others are closed to One milling center or One brand of pre-milled blanks and do not contain the actual interface, and/or only work for gluing Zr to an existing Ti base. (TOTAL Waste of $$)

Cannot make bars, screw-retained bridges, and many types of common implants with most all other implant libraries. NT Trading, etc are stupid.

Most only work for pre-milled blanks, and those do not contain all implant types used in the US.

Very limited use and much better options exist. DDG is also called target3d. We stock all of them, including the multi-abutments by most all manufactures for bridges and bars.

My thoughts.....
We are currently using the NT Trading kit to mill on our Ti abutments on preforms and GL kit to do our screw retained/prettau type cases. Would the DDG kit work with those or would I have to get the MZ adapters from DDG?

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score

My thoughts.....

Hey!!!!! ...eeerrrr ....Welcome back,,,Mr Kotter! get it,,, Kotter?

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
You have also the french scanbody , to take pleasure in working ….

DSCN7475.JPG

DSCN7474.JPG

;)

Frenchy you're a sick man,,,,having fun looking at models of quad amputees, with breasts, no head and a screw where other body parts should be. I heard the French were sick ...sadistic, but you my friend ,,,you're really sick...:D

Beatrice

Beatrice

Reaction score
What kind of product you want to outsource?
Single units or multi-units product?

In case of multi-units before investing into scan body you should also check some scanning center or milling center with scanning services.
It can be less expensive and also will not limit you to 20-30 ish brand of implant.

Scan body are in fact a solution to a scanning problem.
In order to scan an implant the scanner (whatever brand, 3shape, imetric, smartoptic, dental wings, optimet, lava, etc etc) cannot scan metal analog, to solve this problem we use scan body parts that are made from material that scanner are able to see.

Some milling center have industrial technology, (laser, touch, other) and can scan directly the analog without a scan body, increasing the precision by FAR. For single unit, this kind of technology will be "overkill" except if you do not have a scan body (example on DIO implant a Korean company where i had to do a bar few days ago) with an industrial scanner we can scan whatever implant it is and make it fit.

So it very important to look into your needs before investing :

-What product you want to do (single units or multi units)
-Where you want to outsource (is your preferred milling center work with the scan body library you want to acquired (NT Trading, ELOS, etc) or don't need them at all
-What brand of implant you want to cover (The major 5-7 brand or more?)
-What scanner and software you use (is the library is compatible for all implant system with your software)
-Cost (some kit can be very expensive)
-Your vision of perfect fit (only for multi-unit cases) at the end of the day a scanner have a precision that we measure in microns, the scanbody was made by a machine that have a tolerance again in microns, the scan body should be around 5-7 microns bigger or smaller than the CAD file it was milled from. Plus your scanner might be around 15-20 ish micron precise, so with the scan body it like saying that you scanner is now 25-30 micron (cause it can be +5 micron for 1 scan body and -5 micron for the other making a difference of 10 microns on the fit for a 2 implant case) so you can understand on a bar/bridge on 6-8 implant plus you can have a huge gap between the real fit. On top of that, the milling machine that will mill your parts (bar/bridge) also have a tolerance. Some machine is around 3-5 (multi millions dollars machine) some other will be higher to 8-10 even 15 in some cheaper equipment.

So overall, it not an easy question neither one that everyone understand completely, but at the end of the day it all depend of what you want to do, what quality you want to achieve and at what price.

regards

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
I will be starting with abutments with someone else doing the milling for me. Then I would like to progress into bars then bridges.

Top Bottom