DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I had the large MDX-40.

Had ATC added.

You think I'm joking or something?

(talking to RLD)

Just missing the dust covers for zirconia dust.

The rails and the whole machine is not set-up for fast accurate milling.
Too weak of a frame. I don't even see a frame. LOL

Those chrome rails are not high quality CNC stuff at all.
I think they came out of a Foosball table?

Spindle is a stick of metal with two skateboard wheel ball-bearings attached to a cheap motor with a vacuum cleaner belt.

Has no built-in computer and is driven from USB if I remember correctly (firewire?) Very much difficult to get three axis of encoder info on-the-fly. Most cnc machines have a radicaly different set-up with a dedicated CPU for the mill. The stream of info needed to control all axis is really important. The Roland would guessing it's position a lot of the time I would imagine, rather than using streaming data from all three encoders. Too much data for just a little firewire or USB.

Scott

ai361.photobucket.com_albums_oo57_01CrazyFool_MDX_40_Roland_MDX_40.jpg
ai361.photobucket.com_albums_oo57_01CrazyFool_MDX_40_Roland_MDX_40.jpg

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I have a couple used JWX10's for sale. These are outfitted with the puck holder, and ready to mill. I found some used ones and will be keeping a few and selling a few. $8000, with a manual. I am working on getting some aluminum molds to make your own wax pucks, and if possible, will throw those in as well.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
That's a good price!

Use a 4" steel pipe and cut your own wax disks.

Last edited:
mtwinste

mtwinste

Reaction score
I have a barely used JWX-10 I'll sell for $7,000.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I am new at DLN and wnated to know if anybody had used the DWX-50 since it's release. I am thinking of going CAD/CAM and the Roland machine sounds very nice. Here in Greece it cost's around 25.000 euros , the cheapest 5 axis machine I can find. Any opinions about zirconzahn's machines and wieland's zenotec scan s 100? A very reputable laboratory is selling one at 10.000 euros software included . Every opinion/propossal is realy apreciated. Thanks

A

AdamNCO

Reaction score
How many zir caps can the dwx-50 produce in a day? Also, does $30k get you just the mill, or does it come in a package of some sort?

M

marnero

Reaction score
We have a DWX-30 in our lab here in Scandinavia. Also have an imes-icore 750i. The DWX-30 has been running for almost 2 years, milling wax,PMMA and zirconia. Had some "baby-diseases" to start with, since it was pretty new on the market. The first generation had a poor suction system, but Roland realized it and gave us a second generation short after purchase with a much better suction system. No automatic tool change(DWX-50 has automated tool change). We also had to over-contour the margins a little on zirconia in order to avoid some small chipping on the margins. As mentioned earlier in the thread, you get what you pay for, but the machine has absolutely done a good joob. Is now milling wax to be pressed in e.max. Can´t be compared to the 750i. 5-axis, water cooled, VERY stabile, and precision 1-1.5 microns. Smooth razor sharp edges on zirconia. Expensive. Another aspect of the milling in-house is the choice of CAM software. On DWX-30 we use 3shapes CAMbridge, a genious and user friendly software(at least for medium size labs). I highly recommend this software. Just a simple drag and drop of multiple .stl files. On the 750i we you imes-icore´s iCAM4, and its a much more complex and time consuming software. Probably takes 4-5 times longer to transfer and generate milling file compared to the CAMbridge.
We are considering getting a DWX-50 to support the zirconia production. Haven´t seen it in action yet, but it is said to have better precision and milling accuracy, so I don´t think chipping of margins will be a problem on zirconia.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Marnero, are you satisfied with your icore machine? I am considering purchasing the 450i or the 550i .

M

marnero

Reaction score
Very satisfied regarding the quality of the zirconia, and with the precision of the machine. It also mills metal(co-cr and titanium) and ceramics, not so pleased with this. Takes long time to mill with the current milling strategies from imes, but they are working on it. The tools also get worn down and broken quickly, we´re on the lookout for other tools. We have orderes a 450i, arriving in a few weeks. The reason why we chose this is beacuse imes is working on an automated blank holder/changer for it. We will be milling mostly ceramics in this machine, and you can only put 3 units in at a time. So to automatically feed blanks during night will be great.
If you are to mill mostly zirconia, and you dont have hundreds of units per day, these machines are great. If you have a lot of units, you will be spending most of the day just to transfer, administer and generate CAM files. I would consider a different CAM software than imes-icores iCAM3/4/5

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
We are a 7 person lab and don't have hundreds of units daily. We want to expand in zirconia and we want to buy a quality 5 axis machine to do that . That's why I am looking icore . I sent a plaster model to a milling centre and the result was great, the fitting was great . It was milled with the 750i but he told me that the 450i has simmilar results from its milling . When your 450i arrives you could tell me what you think of it. A WIeland owner told me that DATRON tools are great for CrCo . Where in Scandinavia is your lab located? I often travel to Stockholm .

M

marnero

Reaction score
I´ll let you know when we´ve installed and tried it. The fit really is great, and the machine is so stabile and accurate that you can really push the the pre-sintered zirconia margins to be pretty sharp. Great surface finishing. We are located in Norway. Been on your island three times, but never in Chania though.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I´ll let you know when we´ve installed and tried it. The fit really is great, and the machine is so stabile and accurate that you can really push the the pre-sintered zirconia margins to be pretty sharp. Great surface finishing. We are located in Norway. Been on your island three times, but never in Chania though.

Ok thath would be great. You should come to Chania, it is very nice , it has great beaches

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"We are a 7 person lab"

Just remind me again why your buying a big $$ mill for a 7 man lab when you can probably outsource for almost the same price p/u cost?

Are you planning on starting a milling center, if not it will take YEARS to see a return on the unit with a 7 man lab (if ever).

unless you have enough units going through to buy materials in bulk and get your costs down, like the volumes milling centers get through, then i really cant see the point at your size.

Just trying to help.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
"We are a 7 person lab"

Just remind me again why your buying a big $$ mill for a 7 man lab when you can probably outsource for almost the same price p/u cost?

Are you planning on starting a milling center, if not it will take YEARS to see a return on the unit with a 7 man lab (if ever).

unless you have enough units going through to buy materials in bulk and get your costs down, like the volumes milling centers get through, then i really cant see the point at your size.

Just trying to help.

I appreciate you trying to help , that's why I am asking all these questions and every suggestion is welcome. The plan is to begin with a scanner , 3 shape most likely , and in the time to come I am looking to invest in a milling machine . I am plannig on starting a milling centre because the in island of Crete where my lab is located , no milling centre exists , and I believe it would be a profitable way to expand my business . But it is a not so long term , but still not an immediate plan . Time will show . Thanks ,every opinion is valued and apreciated .

P.S. Do you have any suggestions about the scanner? I am thinking of the 3 shape d700/710 . I would like the brand new d 800/810 ,but it is rather expensive , about 30.000 euros .

Last edited:
S

stevenson

Reaction score
The DWX-30 features an integrated clamping system, integrated dust collection system and Virtual Panel which make it easy to create copings, crowns and bridges. The integrated clamping system holds a wide variety of material including wax and zirconia.......

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
XLS Calculator - Is it worth doing your own milling?

Will have to add it tonight - XLS won't upload here
Ignore the UKP and just put your own figures in - should tell you whether you are betting getting Scott to mill em for you or do it yourself

Last edited:
Top Bottom