Emax fractures and glaze

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
contraluz, a very well known cerec dr does this too on crystalization firing, even firing porcelain on it.

I agree, the milky color is from putting too much on, you can use the new fluo glaze to get it in one firing but it has to be a medium thick very even coat.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I've had a couple of techs tell me that I should ONLY be using wire pegs, and the superpegd.

I do the same. Wire pegs are fine. If needed, I use Peg putty (may be named different),too.

Have in mind, trays absorb heat. Depending on the tray material, it may actually 'under fire' your restorations.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
user name

user name

Reaction score
Stop using e.max. Switch to GC LiSi.

Old e.max fluo glaze in the syringe is cloudy. The new Ivocolor glaze in the jar is clear.

Don't thicken a pattern so it will press, then reduce. Change your sprue technique or start milling out of Zr.

On the LiSi...Its worth the switch. I haven't had any issues and haven't had to use hardly any stain. It just blends better than that old gray-in-the-mouth stuff.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Stop using e.max. Switch to GC LiSi.

Old e.max fluo glaze in the syringe is cloudy. The new Ivocolor glaze in the jar is clear.

Don't thicken a pattern so it will press, then reduce. Change your sprue technique or start milling out of Zr.

With the limited shade range of the LiSi LT ingots, why stain if you can press in shade correct colors?
I know it may be more economical in having less shades to buy, but more time and labor consuming in staining.

Maybe the HTs and MTs would be worth checking into, esp. for OPs onlays.
http://www.gcamerica.com/lab/products/GC_Initial_LiSi_Press/index.php

"Informative" about Ivocolor glaze being clear. Does it get cloudy if it puddles like the original does?
I have not had that problem with InSync.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Ha. I definitely take into consideration the instructions and advice I get from "real" people as well.
Very wise. Just because they're in front of you doesn't make them knowledgeable anymore than standing in a carport makes you a mechanic.
But many times I thank my lucky stars for those anonymous imaginary experts, too.
Imaginary? Pfff :) My life in the clouds and my floating castle is quite real thank you. You really must come watch what the unicorns can do on unicycles.

user name

user name

Reaction score
With the limited shade range of the LiSi LT ingots? Why stain if you can press in shade correct colors?
I know it may be more economical in having less shades to buy, but more time and labor consuming in staining.

Maybe the HTs and MTs would be worth checking into, esp. for OPs onlays.
http://www.gcamerica.com/lab/products/GC_Initial_LiSi_Press/index.php

"Informative" about Ivocolor glaze being clear. Does it get cloudy if it puddles like the original does?
I have not had that problem with InSync.
Im a InSync user too, but on an inlay where youre not going to double check your contacts and have the ability to snug em up slightly with glaze, the newer Ivocolor is real nice. Its very clear, but more importantly, it gives a 'very' glass glaze with just a thin coat.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Im a InSync user too, but on an inlay where youre not going to double check your contacts and have the ability to snug em up slightly with glaze, the newer Ivocolor is real nice. Its very clear, but more importantly, it gives a 'very' glass glaze with just a thin coat.

I like the idea of it being clear, in that you can mix some stains in with it
and get an more realistic idea of what it looks like on the crown, before firing.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score

That is correct. The new Ivocolor glaze is much better!

I don't have experience with the GC or Creation products, though...

M

user name

user name

Reaction score
@Car 54
"With the limited shade range of the LiSi LT ingots, why stain if you can press in shade correct colors?
I know it may be more economical in having less shades to buy, but more time and labor consuming in staining."

Slightly off topic, but when a Dr prescribes an A-3, hes saying it needs to look like an A-3 in the mouth, not your hand. If the patient looks like A-3, the Dr is prepping off enamel. Pressing in e.max A-2 or 3 is using a dentin color, and usually not a very good one. (gray anyone?) I like to replace enamel. These LiSi ingots are a winner.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

This just in...its lunch time!

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
@Car 54
"With the limited shade range of the LiSi LT ingots, why stain if you can press in shade correct colors?
I know it may be more economical in having less shades to buy, but more time and labor consuming in staining."

Slightly off topic, but when a Dr prescribes an A-3, hes saying it needs to look like an A-3 in the mouth, not your hand. If the patient looks like A-3, the Dr is prepping off enamel. Pressing in e.max A-2 or 3 is using a dentin color, and usually not a very good one. (gray anyone?) I like to replace enamel. These LiSi ingots are a winner.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

This just in...its lunch time!

I'm usually getting more reduction, more than just enamel, if it's less, I'd use a MT. I really don't have low value problems as I'm using
ZI-F (for layered),so maybe I just don't realize the low value issue as frequently as others, unless I use the wrong Inc. :banghead:

Heck, I'm still using HTs in the posterior and my Dr's have been liking it for years (I go 1 shade lighter and stain the ging.)

By the way, I had a good lunch, hope you did, too :)

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
User, You may rethink that when your LiSi crowns start cracking..

but yes, the new ivocolor glaze is awesome! About time.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
HI Kate,

As several had said, the thick to thin issue is probably the issue here. I see you mention a slow cool of 1.5minutes, but this is not really any slower than the normal opening of 1 minute for our furnaces. If using an Ivoclar furnace set your long term cooling to a temperature of 450C, if a competitor furnace try 5minute opening time.

As for the glaze, once you get the consistency of stringing up to around .5 to 1 inch, I like to apply using a flat brush (opaque brush) and apply like I'm wiping the material off. If it gets too thick in any area, it will get the milky white appearance. I would also suggest using vacuum. on your stain and glaze cycles. start the vacuum at around 450C and release the vacuum at 1C below your high temp so the hold time is in air.

Kate, if you want to give me a call to talk this over please do. My desk phone is 716-264-2148.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
HI Kate,

As several had said, the thick to thin issue is probably the issue here. I see you mention a slow cool of 1.5minutes, but this is not really any slower than the normal opening of 1 minute for our furnaces. If using an Ivoclar furnace set your long term cooling to a temperature of 450C, if a competitor furnace try 5minute opening time.

As for the glaze, once you get the consistency of stringing up to around .5 to 1 inch, I like to apply using a flat brush (opaque brush) and apply like I'm wiping the material off. If it gets too thick in any area, it will get the milky white appearance. I would also suggest using vacuum. on your stain and glaze cycles. start the vacuum at around 450C and release the vacuum at 1C below your high temp so the hold time is in air.

Kate, if you want to give me a call to talk this over please do. My desk phone is 716-264-2148.
For your sake, I hope that's not anything like Maxwell Smart's shoephone.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
If you want something that doesnt get milky use insync, you can put it on as thick as you want. It will only pit if you dont vibrate it though.

PearlySweetKate

PearlySweetKate

Reaction score
Good gracious, guys. I am so appreciative of all the feedback. Patrick, I'll probably be giving you a call tomorrow to discuss some things.

I am giving the onlay directly on the honeycomb a shot. I've adjusted the pressing, polished with the ceramic wheel and points, lightly sandblasted, and steamed it before applying a thin layer of stain. This is the last emax crown I'm doing for the next week...the rest of my cases are all PTM's.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Good gracious, guys. I am so appreciative of all the feedback. Patrick, I'll probably be giving you a call tomorrow to discuss some things.

I am giving the onlay directly on the honeycomb a shot. I've adjusted the pressing, polished with the ceramic wheel and points, lightly sandblasted, and steamed it before applying a thin layer of stain. This is the last emax crown I'm doing for the next week...the rest of my cases are all PTM's.

I look forward to it! Hopefully between the lot of us, we can get you to a predictable workflow.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

You're going to call and trust someone who talks into his shoe??? :D:D

Remember the sage wisdom CRob passed on to you :D:D

That a girl. Always best to believe self proclaimed anonymous imaginary experts rather than real people.

Top Bottom