Own lab... am I crazy? (please tell me I am)

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
Ok, don't mean to sound "full of it", but a long time ago I decided that play time was more important then making big bucks like the guy down the street, who sneaks a week off and maybe a long weekend every once in awhile. We're both happy with our paths that we opted for. Working inhouse isn't for everyone, I really lucked out and am working with a great Dr. I also know that I wouldn't make it being my one boss.

X

Xydorf

Reaction score
My 2 cents worth as an in-house cdt for 35 years

Having your lab down the road may become an issue when you get to the point of having your techs interacting with you, taking shades, stainings case planning, or a question regarding a current case. If you're a high end clinic this will really come to head quickly. Having to "get in the car and drive there" eats up time. Does you clinic have a patients with dentures, partials?? They break, will your lab be doing simple repairs too?

And as what happened with me, with time I became more integrated into the work of the office beyond doing "just crowns". It expanded to denture repairs, essex appliances, immediate implant crowns, diagnostic wax-ups, and on and on)and both the Dr and myself really like having that type of access to each other.

I know little regarding digital dentistry regarding case load time management, but, if your techs start doing the "little" stuff, 2 employees won't be enough to handle the work load you've mentioned.

Thank you for your wonderful insights and experiences.

Everything regarding dentures Will be taken care of by a local denture lab. My techs Will be taking care of crowns, bridges and implants, and such things.

I am thinking perhaps that one of them can be a refugee from syria, you get discount of your employee taxes by employing one of them. Also there must be a lot of talented People coming to sweden. We will see Who replies to the ad. I have 8 replies now in about 24hrs, but no star yet. If I dont find a "star" I wont do this, it wont be worth it.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I hope you are wrong :)

But I am suffering from like huge confirmation bias now, so I Will have to crunch some numbers before making a decision.
Realizing that is a rare and wonderful thing, it's easy to deceive yourself when you think you want to do something.

Edit:Schpeeling

Last edited:
X

Xydorf

Reaction score
Realizing that is a rare and wonderful thing, it's easy to deceive yourself when you think you want to do something.

Edit:Schpeeling

Thank you. And yes, it is. I realize it clearly and I hope that I will make an informed decision based not primarily on emotions.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
How is your search for a Lead Techncian? Any progress on your decision process?

X

Xydorf

Reaction score
How is your search for a Lead Techncian? Any progress on your decision process?

I have changed lab to a danish one. But If this doesn't work I have found a fantastic guy from Syria Who speaks 5 languages and currently is in Sweden (came 2 years ago cause of The war). He seems like a fantastic guy, he is working here, after only two years, at a local lab, knows digital ways, is 2 years younger than me, etc.

So kind of, But I want to try this danish lab first.

You lab techs are so important to get a good result and a peace of mind.

X

Xydorf

Reaction score
Now we have started the lab. I have hired a former refugee from Syria called sassoun, who has been working as a lab tech in Sweden for three years, and total about 8 years, including the time in Syria. Such a nice guy. We now have a complete inlab system. I am so very happy with this. The things we have done so far (less than 50 units, just started a week ago) have had a perfect fit.

Just fyi :)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Now we have started the lab. I have hired a former refugee from Syria called sassoun, who has been working as a lab tech in Sweden for three years, and total about 8 years, including the time in Syria. Such a nice guy. We now have a complete inlab system. I am so very happy with this. The things we have done so far (less than 50 units, just started a week ago) have had a perfect fit.

Just fyi :)
Hey, thanks for the update. Hope it continues to work out well for you all.

A

ag1976

Reaction score
Inlab 15 vs Exocad, 3shap ... Who is who in this game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X

Xydorf

Reaction score
I think everyone knows the Sirona inlab system is not a perfect lab solution. We purchased it cause we have a Sirona 3d scanner and a Sirona intra oral scanner. So for us it kind of makes sense :)

X

Xydorf

Reaction score
Ok; Follow up on this.
Now the practice lab is operating with the Sirona inlab software and Sirona scanner and mill. It works great for crowns, single implants, bridges, etc. We don't mill metal but still things are great in general :)

Now when I have this setup I never want to send to China again. Ever. Like never ever again. Like not in a lifetime even if someone paid me to (OK, yes if someone paid me to :) ).

So I want to hire two guys more and make everything here in Sweden. One guy for making dentures, and one for implant cases. This might cost a bit more, but still it is manageable.

The denture thing is easy to handle, but I have a question about the implants: Does anyone here use like 3Shape scanner to scan implant cases, design and order frameworks for implants? Does it work? I was thinking that we then buy the new D2000 scanner, and order the frameworks from wherever.

I am afraid that the scanners are not accurate enough and that we get a bad result...

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
i thought sirona was implant capable?
how many units you doing per month? how many implants?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Ok; Follow up on this.
Now the practice lab is operating with the Sirona inlab software and Sirona scanner and mill. It works great for crowns, single implants, bridges, etc. We don't mill metal but still things are great in general :)

Now when I have this setup I never want to send to China again. Ever. Like never ever again. Like not in a lifetime even if someone paid me to (OK, yes if someone paid me to :) ).

So I want to hire two guys more and make everything here in Sweden. One guy for making dentures, and one for implant cases. This might cost a bit more, but still it is manageable.

The denture thing is easy to handle, but I have a question about the implants: Does anyone here use like 3Shape scanner to scan implant cases, design and order frameworks for implants? Does it work? I was thinking that we then buy the new D2000 scanner, and order the frameworks from wherever.

I am afraid that the scanners are not accurate enough and that we get a bad result...

not accurate enough ...for what? in what way would it not be accurate? imprecise fit? this is a CAM problem. wrong rotation? this is an operator problem.

3shape is a fantastic design system, very powerful, and easy to use. you would be buying their best scanner to date. and being so close to denmark, you'll have the best milling centers using 3shape at your fingertips.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
xdorf thanks for the fun i hope sirona pays you well for this pot stirring thread.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
g3-stir.gif